5.0 out of 5 stars Hit the Road
Published on 8 July 2010 by Flo

1.0 out of 5 stars Steer clear
I'm a bit of a fan of Harold Briercliffe; he's no Wainwright, but he'd clearly done the research for his late 1940's series of cycle touring guides from the saddle and I think they're minor gems. So I was looking forward to this book, but it's hugely disappointing. Jane Eastoe has cobbled together some general advice from unknown sources, but not I think from any cycling...
Published on 2 July 2010 by GeoffB

5.0 out of 5 stars Hit the Road, 8 July 2010
This review is from: Britain By Bike (Hardcover)
I loved this book. I'm a cycling commuter not a tourer, and it really made me want to get out of the city and explore the British countryside - somehow it never occurred to me to take my bike onto the train and out of the city, forgetting my car altogether. The book is much less strident and elitist than a lot of the hardcore cycling guides, this is really about taking a gentle approach to discovering Britain, not about killing yourself by doing everything at top speed and never stopping.
I was fascinated the quotes from Harold Briercliffe - it puts the routes into historical context. I also liked that all of the cycle routes appear to be do-able in a day, so aren't too daunting to a novice like myself. The book is also full of ideas of what to see, as well as where to go.
I've been out on a two day tour of the south-east, and particularly loved the Crab & Winkle Way, which runs from Canterbury to Whitstable.
Stylish and user-friendly - brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars loving it!, 12 July 2010
This review is from: Britain By Bike (Hardcover)
What a lovely little book this is. I was given this as a gift before I set off on my cycling holiday and it was a joy to read along the way. Lucky for me that the recent hot weather has meant that i've been able to explore new cycling routes without being hindered by the usual rain. For someone who is relatively new to cycling I really enjoyed reading the route descriptions and it was handy to now what to expect before I set off.
Looking forward to the television series when it starts this month.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful book on cycling for pleasure., 19 July 2010
J. White - See all my reviews
This review is from: Britain By Bike (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful, and beautiful, book about the joys of cycle touring around Britain. This book and Clare Balding's TV series take as their inspiration Harold Briercliffe's magnificent cycle guides which are now sadly almost completely forgotten (and anything that brings them back to public attention is great by me). If you are looking for a complete cycle maintenance and repair manual then obviously this is not the book for you. If you are looking for a lovely little volume to inspire you to forget the car, and instead use a bike to explore the British countryside then give this one a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired to Ride Again, 29 Dec 2010
A. J. Wells-deamer (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Britain By Bike (Hardcover)
I watched the BBC Series Britain by Bike, starring Clare Balding, and loved every minute of the programme, then noticed that, amazingly, there was a book associated with it, Britain by Bike by Jane Eastoe, with a forward by Clare Balding. No hesitation, I ordered a copy as a Christmas present to myself from my wife. The book was dispatched and reached me in just two days, but it disappeared into my wifes wrapping activities and I was not to have it until Christmas! Now I have it, and am reading it; it is a great book, brimming with enthusiasm for biking in Britain's countryside, excellently written, and very well supported by great illustrations; a fine way to cap the excellent TV series. The book has revived wonderful memories of my own halcyon days cycling in the 50s and 60s. At the age of 9, I was given my first cycle, and have ridden ever since, touring mostly and now, when ever practical, as a replacement to using the car. I am retired, and am therefore able to ride more, but winter is here now, and the adverse weather has curtailed the riding, (just a little!). However, the TV program and this excellent book have inspired me ride again, whatever the weather, and have set me dreaming of spring, and the open road. Thank you for your prompt services, and a fine product.

Yours sincerely,

John Wells-Deamer

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully inspiring read!, 19 July 2010
This review is from: Britain By Bike (Hardcover)
I bought this as a gift for a friend and ended up reading it cover to cover. I love cycling and haven't really seen this type of book out there before, most cycling books are practical and with way too much technical information. For me cycling should be just as this book advocates - a relaxed and inspiring way to expore the british countryside. I did the Devils Dyke route and had a glorious day whizzing down newtimber hill taking in the beautiful views of the downs and the sea. The vintage feel of pages really drew me in and I enjoyed reading the history of cycling, especially the pictures of early bicyle designs such as the penny farthing. This is a beautiful book I would thoroughly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloke on a bike, 13 Dec 2010
This review is from: Britain By Bike (Hardcover)
For a bloke such as me with no desire to be a power-cycling nut, but wanting to see the country at a bicycle's pace, 'Britain by Bike' was just the ticket.Britain By Bike

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, fun book for the everyday cyclist!, 19 July 2010
This review is from: Britain By Bike (Hardcover)
I dragged my old mountain bike out of the shed last summer and have since spent many weekends touring the great British countryside on two wheels. Now this book has bought to my attention some great new routes (particularly Old Warden in Bedfordshire) and a history of cycling that I previously knew so little about. Thoroughly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring book., 15 April 2011
This review is from: Britain By Bike (Hardcover)
I was inspired to start cycling by the series Britain by Bike. I had really hoped the Harold Briercliffe book was still in print but discoverd this instead.
It has some very interesting history on the birth of the bicycle and cycling in Britain. The advice on repairing a puncture is the best I have ever seen.
In fact I did this at the side of the road for the first time yesterday. Buy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars On Yer Bike, 4 Aug 2010
This review is from: Britain By Bike (Hardcover)
The cover of this book jumped at me in the bookshop and the excellent presentation and very readable chunks of history, cycle lore and cycle routes drew me in.
As an experienced cyclist, I could pick holes, as another reviewer has. The technical stuff, like the cycle routes, is necessarily incomplete, but the considerable merit of this book is that it promises to successfully engage, reassure and enthuse the novice.

The TV series has started and seems also to have made a good start, promising to inspire more people to get on their bikes.

5.0 out of 5 stars britain by bike, 21 July 2010
This review is from: Britain By Bike (Hardcover)
as my star rating shows - love it! fab book & brilliant... especially being given it just before a cycling holiday... its very inspiring and spurred us on to make the most of our holiday - and bikes! my husband and i aren't aiming to compete in the next local cycling event nor gain intense knowledge about bikes, but intend to enjoy our country, and countryside by bike etc and this books really assists with just that... Thoroughly recommended, deserves more than 5 stars!!!

ARRAY(0xabc9524c)

Britain By Bike
Britain By Bike by J. Eastoe (Hardcover - 15 Feb 2010)
11.55