Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 27 October 2010
I think the beauty of this book lies in the fact that you don't look at the objects and think - that's recycled, they look new as if made from expensive materials. As with all Batsford craft books, what you get is an awful lot of useful content, beautifully presented and photographed. Cas describes herself as a magpie, but instead of collecting expensive materials to create her textile art, she uses what is at hand and found objects. For printing, she might use a rubber handle or plastic doily. Found objects are the main criteria of her work. This book has an excellent section on dyeing and printing. Discover momigami amongst other things. Find out how to embellish your work with stitch. Includes useful tips on found objects including how to alter and transform them. I love the simple paper journals, how to keep a sketchbook and develop your drawing. This is a superb reference for any textile artist. It has so much to give, so many professional tips and techniques. Cas' work is superb and is handsomely illustrated throughout the book. Highly recommended.
on 19 November 2010
I've seen Cas Holmes' work before but not a book by her. This is a must! I found it so inspiring it has lived beside me for the past week and I have dipped in and out of it. She has really helped me get started with textiles again. Thank you
on 28 August 2011
Clear language and well written book with useful techniques if you are interested in a range of methods for dyeing fabric, printing, textile work etc.
on 3 December 2010
It's great, at long last, to See Cas's name, her fabulous work, and all of her tips and inspiration in print, and in one place. I have long recommended her to my many students over the years - this book should be a MUST for all art and textile libraries! The book is wonderfully presented, and detailed and exciting. The found object can be used in so many ways, and can be so many things itself, as the book explains. The book is packed with stimulating ideas and descriptions of creative processes that will definitely inform and inspire your work. Buy it now!
on 11 April 2015
I have 2 bookcases of textile books & this rates among the best. I never throw away anything that 'may be useful' so Cas Holmes' approach to working is brilliant. Most textile artists know about incorporating paper & old fabrics in their work but the author opens up a world of possibilities of yet more mundane & so-called useless ephemera that may be given a new lease of life. The layout & illustrations are informative & attractive. The book is broken down into small sections so is good for swiftly locating a reference to another good idea/technique. I know that this is a book to which I shall refer time & time again particularly when I need inspiration having hit the equivalent of writers' block. Almost best of all, apart from a sewing machine very little of the recommended supplies are expensive or hard to locate.
on 13 March 2011
As an artist and creative textile designer who loves to collage and finds inspiration in fruit, vegetables etc I was drawn to this book because of it's cover.
I have not been dissapointed at all, it's a fab book with loads of great ideas.
With the financial climate the way it is at the minute I think this book is a great way for artists to recycle and work with found objects around the house etc.
It is all about working with things around you to craete something new and beautiful, from sweet wrappers, to the skins from garlic.
The book is packed full of ideas for you to try, images that are really inspirational and it has clear instructions.

You do need to have an imagination though, this is a starter I would say to get you going and then take on board what you have learnt to produce other textile art.
on 18 February 2011
I bought this book as a study aid for my textiles degree. I cannot put it down!! I am not usually moved to review books but this one is special. The pictures are very clear and inspirational and there are lots of fabulous technical instructions too. I can see I will be using this book for many years to come. I wish it was paperback as I would take it everywhere!!!!
on 19 November 2011
A worthwhile addition to my library, especially having been on one of Cas's courses. It is at once a useful reminder of some techniques, an introduction to others, and a great collection of images of Cas's work
on 6 September 2011
Overall a good book, I have no regrets buying it. However this book only covers the work made by the author (with a few other examples) but there is definitely a 'house style' about it and lacks creative diversity that similar books offer. The artwork itself is interesting, (a bit twee). Although I would add that this book is great if you teach and need ideas with clear instructions.
on 22 March 2013
This is the 2nd copy I have bought, this one for my friend. She is, as I am, really inspired by all the amazing ideas and projects described in this book. The use of found objects in art is eco-friendly and rather than depleting our resources re-uses redundant and discarded items. The art work featured is beautiful and thoughtful; most is by Cas but also features other interesting textile artists' work. Very much recommended.