Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 December 2009
I bought this book because there aren't that many books that combine book making and textile art and also I liked what I saw via "Look Inside" - particularly the books with beaded and embroidered spines. Happily there are plenty of ideas - with instructions - for making books like these and there are lots more images of equally interesting books.

However, I do have some reservations, which as they concern things that may not be apparent from the information on Amazon, I'm passing on so that others can make up their minds whether this book is for them.

1. The technical section on book making covers 6 or 7 different styles of book - all of which are very easy to make. However in practice only 2 or 3 of these (eg Japanese stitched, Coptic stitched) are "proper" books (if I can put it that way), both of which have exposed spines. So be aware that covered spines (eg longstitch binding) aren't included - although you could probably figure out how to add one.

2. The book-making instructions are heavy on text with few diagrams and no in-progress photos. The instructions are clear but I know that I relied heavily on diagrams etc when I made my first books. If you also prefer to have pictures to refer to, one solution is to arm yourself with a back up book such as Suzanne Tourtillot Making & Keeping Creative Journals or Sue Doggett Handmade Books - which are both very accessible and will also give you lots more different styles of book to which you could adapt the ideas in this one. Isobel Hall references Shereen La Plantz Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals and Albums which is also good.

3. In the "embellishment" section there are some good ideas, including some textural techniques I haven't come across elsewhere. However, many of the projects are very specific as to the products to be used - eg Translucent Liquid Sculpey, Adirondack Alchohol Inks, DecoArt Sandstones, Stuart Gill paints, Evolon. I find this rather tiresome but I know some people welcome the certainty of having the exact recipe. Obviously some of the effects can't be achieved with alternative products and the products can be obtained by mail order (suppliers listed in the back of the book) so availability isn't a problem (if you don't mind having to do more shopping).
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2010
I am really enjoying this book and am just about to embark on my first project. The book is very good at showing and explaining what to do. A comprehensive list of materials required is given with each project and where to get all the materials is also available. This is one of those books which gives hours of pleasure and I can't wait to get started.
on 11 May 2010
This book came up to all my expectations. The chapters were all laid out well with clear instructions and excellent photography. Isobel explained carefully all the media she used for each project. The book contains instructions for making a wide range of books to suit all tastes.
Just the book to give a textile enthusiastic.
on 4 April 2010
This is an excellent source book for mixed-media work, well illustrated and with all the materials and techniques explained in detail, but it also covers the basics of hand-made books better than some specialist titles on that subject. So even if you want to make journals or notebooks with other types of cover it's worth buying.
on 9 October 2011
This book has some beautiful images in it, and through that has certainly inspired my own book making projects, but the actual projects it describes are quite advanced and could have done with clearer instructions. If you have done textile/embroidery work before and are familiar with the jargon this may make more sense to you, but for the novice (such as myself) the instructions and descriptions can be a bit baffling. I was expecting a book that would allow me to take my paper-based book making into a new direction and while I will probably try to copy some of the beadwork shown on the images in future, overall I was a bit disappointed as it seems to be targeted at embroidery practitioners.
on 10 May 2010
As always, Isobel's books are both beautiful and helpful. If you haven't tried these techniques this is a great way to start.
on 30 December 2010
I ordered this book after seeing it at a stitching show. I order books for our Guild library and this is a good addittion. Every thing is well explained and just makes you want to start making books. I was delighted with Embroidered Book and think it is a lovely book to own so hope the mambers enjouy it as much.
on 3 May 2012
I was slightly disappointed with this book because I didn't think there was enough variation between the projects and unusually for this author it didn't make me want to get out my bits and pieces and have a go. On the up side the book was very well presented the pictures were very clear as were the instructions.
on 24 December 2012
Easy to follow with almost proffessional results. Very pleased. Am looking forward to making more in the New Year; First timer with great result.
on 13 January 2014
I bought this book after seeing it at college, it has some fabulous ideas for covering hand made books. Highly recommended