4.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for the Budding Romance and Erotica Writer
Why did I chose to review Love Writing: How to Make Money Writing Romantic or Erotic Fiction? Because it intrigued me, having read so many romance and erotica books, and also other non-fiction how-to writing books for many different genres. I'm not an author, but I do work from home and write for a living. In general I find these books useful as a guide for what I should...
Published on 19 Feb 2010 by Mrs. T. Newton

3.0 out of 5 stars writing fiction
I got this book because I belong to a writer's group that meets fortnightly. I was hoping it would have exercises for us to try out but was disappointed that it didn't. It has some good hints and tips but I think it would serve the serious writer better by giving different ideas to try and write a story about. For that reason I have only given it 3*s as I think it...
Published on 7 Feb 2010 by E. Dale

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful book from an excellent writer, 16 Jan 2012
S. Diment "sue_diment" (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Love Writing: How to Make Money Writing Romantic or Erotic Fiction (Secrets to Success) (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've read and enjoyed Sue Moorcroft's fiction, so a how-to book from the same author had a certain appeal. There are lots of how-to writing books out there, some good and some (frankly) awful. Whilst being able to write good fiction isn't necessarily going to mean you can tell someone else how to do it, I would certainly recommend reading some of an authors other work before you buy their how-to book!

Sue has an easy to read, open style of writing, and she mixes her own tips with those of other writers. The book is well planned, covering everything from how to get started, and inspiration, to plot and style and then on to getting your work published, and what you'll have to do even after it's accepted for publication. This gives the book a nice positive feel, because whilst the author does cover the dreaded rejection slips, the focus here is on perseverence. As Sue also points out, publishers of romantic books often have very specific guidelines for what they will and won't accept, so you need to know what they are looking for before you start writing your novel. You have to get past a publisher to reach a wider audience after all, even if you don't agree with some of their guidelines! Although it's aimed primarily at writers of romance or erotic fiction, many of the tips here are useful for all genres of fiction. If you do write romance though, this is definitely a book to read, and it's probably worth dipping into even if you normally work in a different genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loaded with great tips, 19 Dec 2011
Lance Mitchell (Hampshire, UK, Northern Hemisphere, Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for all aspiring authors, not just those who set out to write erotica and romance. It is crammed, from cover to cover, with very helpful tips on the whole process from beginning to beyond publication.

The style of writing is very personable, which makes it seem as if Sue Moorcroft is in the room with you, talking you through all of what you should and shouldn't do, and what to look out for. She tells you how to overcome the obstacles which will be placed in your way. You will learn a lot about what is very important to your eventual success, and those things which may seem very important to you but are not as critical as they seem.

It is very easy to follow.

What makes this book even better than the warm, conversational style, is that this is not just one person's views. Sue Moorcroft engages the opinions of many other successful authors of these genres, and even adds in a few comments from agents and publishers.

This is a book which, having read through once, I shall keep close by my side as I endevour to follow in Sue's footsteps and get some of my own work into the public, paying domain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Useful, 15 Sep 2011
K. Young "craftyness" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great book if you're starting out in the writing industry, especially romantic fiction. Even if you're not wanting to write about romantic fiction i still think it's a really useful book. There's advice on plots, emotion, types of characters, genres and then it goes onto how you can sell your work. The best part of this book is the advice of other writers which are well known. Sue Moorcroft does a great job and i'm loving my project of my first book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best 'how to' writing books I've read..., 29 July 2011
The insight and advice in this book is constructive and useful with a witty light tone that makes it very easy to read.

The index is organised in a logical way with clear headlines. I like the fact that you can dip in and out of the book for 'tips' according to subject, but likewise read it from cover to cover and enjoy it.

If you're interested in writing romantic or erotic fiction, then buy this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars love writing review, 16 April 2011
What I've read so far makes sense. I'm looking forward to reading Sue's tips to get my writing career re-started.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not So Hot at Tuition, 22 Oct 2014
R. Bluck (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
I'm up to page 155 of 251 of this book. In my opinion it goes on "about" how to write romantic stories with erotica added, but does not teach how to do it. Writing a story that's done well does take real talent. How to do it very well? That's what I seek.

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing Love Stories, 11 Feb 2010
Shaya (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A great book for those budding authors out there. My eldest daughter now 16, has always loved to write stories she often asks me a few questions about writing that I cannot answer. She is in the middle of her GCSE's and according to her English teacher, has a really good style of imaginative writing, so when I saw this I knew she would love it and indeed she does. Being an avid reader she started on it strait away and put some of her newly acquired knowledge to practice, it has certainly paid off because her teacher was well impressed with what she wrote.

The book itself; well it covers most aspects of writing love stories with chapters covering subjects such as Hero's, damsels in distress, Central and primary Characters, The Alfa male and keeping in Character etc Helps you with the plot, keeping with it, planning your characters, How to start your story, getting the ending right and every thing in between. Sue Morecroft has a way of writing this that keeps you wanting to read on and find out more, you will want to keep this close even if you don't want to write a slushy love story there are chapters in this book that is for every writer including how to get it published.
I think this is a valuable book to have on anyone's bookcase or nearby if you are very serious about writing. I will certainly know this is going to get good use from my daughter and maybe one day........well I can dream, she might get one of her stories published and that would definitely be on my bookcase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect guidelines, 30 Jan 2010
catherine "Catherine" (poole, dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Clear, concise,pertinant & thought provoking. This wonderful little book gives the novice author everything they need to improve their writing. I loved it. It's already a necessary part of my reference library

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 9 Mar 2010
Angela Lovelace "Angela" (Essex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before I ordered this book I checked out Sue Moorecroft's novels and their ratings on Amazon, she seems to know her stuff as most of what I saw had 5* ratings. This is an area I hope to get into professionally having had some success with my writings on line, and would like to be able to make it pay rather than keep giving it away for free, lol.

She makes good points and puts across in a way that is not too dry, like some books of this kind can tend to be. There are several easy exercised I intend to try next time I get word open lol. There is also input from other respected writers in the genre that have given me food for thought. If you are too hoping like myself to break into this industry then the book is worth a read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Promising title but lets on very little..., 26 Feb 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Despite the specialist title this guide had little to offer the erotic fiction writer, and shied clear of the subject on the whole, apart from one or two paragraphs with no examples.

It would serve as an average beginner's guide to writing average stories but nothing you wouldn't find in any self-help book on fiction writing - an oportunity to study a little known specialist area of fiction but the author keeps their secrets closely.

Still none the wiser after reading this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›