5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book brings back happy memories, 17 Dec 2012
Roisin (County Mayo Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dublin Pubspotters' Guide: A Magisterial Guide to Every Single Pub in Dublin and County Dublin (Paperback)
I came across the Dublin Pubspotters Guide recently when a work colleague who'd received it as a present showed it to me. I have to get a copy for myself! I really enjoyed going through it to see how many of the 900+ Dublin pubs I'd been in when I lived in Dublin in the 70s and 80s. I don't know if I'm proud or ashamed to report that I had a drink (sometimes more) in 128 of the pubs in the book! Those were the day, what? It was lovely to see my old favourite haunts. In O'Donohue's of Merrion Row, "Keep it Traditional" was Paddy and Maureen O'Donohues' admonition to any musician who attempted to sneak in a bar of Kris Kristofferson's 'Help Me Make it Through the Night.' And popular manager Paddy O'Brien's move from McDaid's of Harry Street to Grogan's in South William Street saw an exodus of customers to the latter. I still call to Grogan's on my infrequent visits to the 'smoke' to see if any of the old crowd is in.

There's no need now to make what in those days was a long journey into the country where the (business) travellers were allowed to have a Sunday afternoon drink. The licensing laws finally changed to suit lifestyles in the 21st century. In the old days our gang's lifestyles revolved around pub opening hours! Happy Days, great company, epic sing-songs and fantastic memories all brought back by this little book.

This easy-to-read guide will help budding pub-crawlers to find the drinking houses that will suit them best. Drink, food, or both? Just look up the name of the pub in the reference at the back to find out. And there's a space under each pub's entry for you to make a note of the date you visited. I might just go back and fill in a few more!

4.0 out of 5 stars A new addition to the guidebook repetoire, 1 Feb 2013
Louise Ward (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
What's not to like in a book with a title like this?! According to Mac Moloney there are over 900 pubs in Dublin city and county and over the past ten years he has visited every one at least four times and has photographed every one. Now, if this was me I don't know if I'd be bragging about it! but from his research Mac has produce a unique guide with a photo and short guide to each pub.

Born in Dublin, his father worked in Dublin pubs and Mac worked in and managed pubs in London before becoming a black taxi driver. Rather optimistically he suggests that, were we to visit ten pubs a week (every weeknight night and five at the weekend?) it would take two years to visit every pub and hotel bar in Dublin. I won't be trying to match that challenge, but from this guide I will be trying out some new drinking establishments.

With a history of pubs and the different types of bars and pubs (inns, early houses, wine bars etc), the book is then divided into an alphabetical listing of pubs in North and South City Centre, North and South Dublin suburbs, and North, South and West County Dublin. Descriptions of the towns in each area precede the subsections. So the book is well organised and very easy to use in this format, as well as having an index for quick reference and the name, address, phone number, email and web address where available accompanying the short description. If the book owner so wishes, there is a date gap to be filled in when the pub is visited.

The only thing that could possibly be said to be missing from this very extensive and well researched guide is some kind of map. If you are unfamiliar with a certain area of Dublin there is a need to go away and look up the address. Reading about my local pubs, the information was all accurate and it included a relatively recently opened bar.

I don't know how often this would be referred to in the normal household, but in guesthouses, hotel bookshelves and other visitor establishments I can see a great market for such a guide. Congratulations should be forthcoming to Mac Moloney for compiling such an extensive guide and for creating a new addition to the Dublin guidebook repertoire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide, 3 Jan 2013
I got this book from my wife as an early Christmas present. Now, she thinks I'm a bit too fond of the black stuff, so decided to set me a challenge. I have to use the Dublin Pubspotter's Guide to record every pub I visit in the Capital from now on, and there are 900 of them! I'm definitely up for it now that I have this fantastic reference book. It's perfect for anyone who loves the atmosphere of Dublin's famous, and not-so-famous, pubs.

From the Abbey Tavern in Howth, where I enjoyed many a traditional music session in my youth, to the Eagles House in Glasthule, where I've been known to occasionally indulge in too much fine food, I'm going to have a ball keeping a record in the book of every Dublin Pub I visit from now on. I'm aiming to have a pint in every pub that hasn't yet had my custom, and that's quite a bucket list! It should keep me occupied for a few years, anyway, and the missus has nobody to blame but herself...who knows, she might even come with me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 15 Dec 2012
Bought this book for my Dad for Xmas but Ive not been able to put it down since. I've been looking at all my old haunts in Dublin. There is a picture of every single pub and a little of info on each one. Great little book!

ARRAY(0xa0a4e240)