Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 October 2010
I write this review as a former police officer with extensive experience of being 'put through the mill' myself.

Michael was severely stitched up by his former employer who showed no support to him whatsoever. The book is exceptionally well written and details well what he went through and the effect that this had on his mental and physical well being. As well as a good book, this story represents an informative piece of literature that reflects well the current situation on internal police use of force investigations. Police officers are, to this day, being presumed guilty by their employer the moment a complaint is made. Today's PSD departments are a law unto themselves, they are supported by the law to bully at the highest level, the effects on their victims and their families last a lifetime.

"Who polices the police that police the police?" - PC Jack LUCAS 2010
on 29 March 2016
An interesting read.
An insight into the world of H.M Prisons.
Not sure why he was convicted & a travesty he was imprisoned.
Think he should have appealed both the conviction and sentence myself.
I wish him the best for the future.
on 2 November 2008
This is a true account of how a person survives being in jail. It must be every law abiding citizen's worst nightmare that they might find themselves in prison, but this is what happened to the author, a well respected, decent, young man. Not only that, the young man was in fact a serving police constable and found himself being charged with assault after being attacked by someone he was trying to restrain. The book was an absorbing read, so much so that once I started it I couldn't put it down. The author writes about his lifelong ambition to become a police officer and talks about his early career, where he was commended on more than one occasion. Sadly his career and his life were left in tatters after a confrontation with a violent offender. How this young man coped in prison is beyond me, it must be an ordeal for anyone who is usually law abiding to find themselves "inside", but for a policeman to find himself amongst the dregs of society in jail does not bear thinking about. I found myself close to tears as I read the effects this had on the young man and his family. How on earth a judge could have arrived at the decision for a custodial sentence is beyond me, but worse, how could another police officer testify against him and why did the police bring charges? In this day and age police officers should stick together, not condemn a colleague. Despite what many people think, the police do a dangerous job and should be rewarded not punished when they reprimand violent members of society. This book reminds us of the everyday incidents they have to deal with. It is a testimony to the courage of the author, not many of us would have survived what he had to put up with while in custody. He tells of how his food was tampered with and how he was subjected to harrassment and physical abuse from fellow inmates, but at the end of the day he came through it. An excellent read, highly recommended.
1717 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2010
Having read this book I would highly recommend that readers view it from the start with an open mind;the book reveals the toal injustice served on the author as a Police Officer.As a former Police officer myself I am totally bewildered as to the treatment that he recived both from his fellow supperior officers,the entire legal system including his fellow Sgt colleague who gave evidence against him,was it pure coincidence that she was promoted after the first hearing.Excellent value
on 5 December 2011
As a serving police officer and someone who comes from a strong police background I am always interested in books about the British police service. One of my favourite reads has been 'A Fair Cop'.

This is the true story of Michael Bunting, a young man in his 20s who was a serving police constable in West Yorkshire Police for six years in the 1990s. Michael's life changed forever when he responded to a violent incident in 1997 that resulted in a Michael being viciously attacked by a man he was trying to arrest. Despite suffering some nasty injuries (which included having a tooth knocked out and temporary loss of sight in one eye) an official complaint made about the incident (that I am lead to believe was made by a bystander) lead to Michael being investigated by his force's professional standards branch. Not out of the ordinary as this is something most front line bobbies face everyday. However the twist in the tale is that astonishingly, Michael is summonded to court to answer charges of assault and more amazingly he is found guilty!

This book is a brilliant detailed account of Michael's life from joining the service in 1993 to his first few enjoyable years as a response officer in which he recalls some detailed and graffic incidents (including the tragedy of a wealthy man he found handing from his loft hatch!). Michael then recalls the incident that changed his life and the subsequent two years after in which he was subject to a slow and long winded police investigation and the impending trial to decide his fate.

The aftermath of the guilty verdict is equally disturbing as Michael goes into detail about going to prison for over a month. Michael's day to day account at the pleasure of her majesty are some of the most disturbing things I have read in a long while. Right from being randomly assaulted in a unprovoked attack by a fellow prisoner as he is being booked in on his first day 'inside' right through to his final night when his fellow inmates trow buckets of urine on him, Michael doesn't mince his words about his experience. The book then closes with Michael's release and coming to terms with his ordeal and how to get on with his life.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book twice now. My only critical points are that I suspect Michael has not relayed the full facts of the original incident (as there are a couple of unanswered questions and I find it bizarre that any officer placed in Michael's situation would be hung out to dry for the same actions!) and I also thought it was a shame Michael didn't expand on the aftermath of his release and his life over the last 10 years.

Still its hard not to like this man for what he has been through and Mr Bunting is currently working on a new book called 'The Dark Side' that will probably hit the book shelves sometime next year.

An excellent read!
on 26 September 2015
All he wanted was to be a policeman. But his superior stabbed him in the back. The guy went through torment. But i won't spoil the book. It's written with honesty & straight forwardness.
on 2 May 2009
An insight into what can happen when English judicial system gets it wrong.This is a true story, and once started I completed reading the book, not wanting to put it down until I had finished reading it.I was pleased that I knew the outcome,that Michael had survived.
on 5 January 2016
A good honest book , you will go through all the emotions whilst reading this book.
Well worth the five star rating I have given.
on 7 April 2013
This was brilliantly written - it portrays the absolute devastation of a young police officer when the law turns against him. I can't help but feel complete sadness at what he had to go through. Definitely a page turner!
on 22 March 2013
As a serving police officer, and one who started my police career at Millgarth not long after this incident, I was well aware of this case. I have worked with a few of Michael's ex colleagues, who hold him in high regard. I had heard of the book, but never really understood the full story, and how it had impacted on Michael's life and mental state. I read this book, quite often thinking that if I was in his position, I don't know how I'd cope. It must have been horrendous. The book gives a good account of the highs and lows of policing, and the blatant inconsistencies in the criminal justice system. His account of being locked up behind bars with such vile prisoners was both interesting and harrowing. Fair play to Mick for coming out the other end on top.