5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful coffee table book that brings back the memories
Our school tuck shop was one of my earliest memories. My mum used to give me 5p to take in each day and i used to be able to get a new refresher for 1p. I'm in my forties now and this book brings back so many memories. I had forgotten about Quatro! Lovely book well researched with lots of little interesting side stories about the 'tuck' industry. A great present for...
Published 22 months ago by Gavin Griffiths

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but arrived damaged
Excellent book full of interesting information Purchased as a gift but disappointed when it arrived with a badly
dented top corner, dropped at sometime and sold at full price, regardless.
Published 8 days ago by Jeannie

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 70s nostalgia, 20 April 2013
A nice balance of nostalgia, information and humour. Personally I believe that the balance is just right and it brought back a wealth of memories of a time which was far simpler and happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful nostalgia, 13 Mar 2013
wavey davey (Fareham, Hants) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great British Tuck Shop (Hardcover)
Speaking as someone who would probably be best described as a boy trapped in a man's body and happily admits to wasting far too much valuable time wallowing in nostalgia, this book is essential.

Anything associated with the mighty TV Cream website comes with a guarantee of quality. The authors write knowledgeably, articulately and with more wit than you could reasonably expect from a book about the tasty snacks of yesteryear. And if reading is too much bother, the pages are lavished with adverts and pictures of the wrappers, cans and bottles from back in the day to keep you occupied. All the things you remember are there, as well as plenty you'd forgotten about or never heard of in the first place. I must admit, when I was reacquainted with the old Lyons Maid symbol, it brought a slight lump to the throat. Those were the days...

So if you can't face the future and want to pretend its 1984 all over again, you must have this.

PS: Bring back Quatro and Pacers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Flippin' eck, Tucker!, 23 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Great British Tuck Shop (Hardcover)
This is a MUST Xmas pressie for any sentimental, middle aged, sweet tooth tubby old sods out there!

Like me. There's a lot of us. We must be sated.

Let's face it, this booty was the foodstuff of vending machines of long lost, open air public swimming pools, the sustenance from broken dispensers in Classic cinema foyers, the contraband from comprehensive school tuck shops in the days before our children now routinely eat crack cocaine rather than Beef Wotsits after assembly*.

These are the snacks that made us the people we are today. Carrots don't make you see in the dark, Lyons Maid Haunted House lollies do!

*Clearly, a joke

5.0 out of 5 stars Tuck? Us Luck!, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Great British Tuck Shop (Hardcover)
Nostalgia is a weird bunny. In the modern day with YouTube full of half-watched memories and eBay all too happy to let you reacquaint yourself with the interstellar laser ray-gun you always coveted aged 6. But how do you relive those tastes of yore? Products long discontinued or long rotted. Well you can't - deal with it - but what you can do is pick up this terrific bumper tribute to all things British, schoolyard and delicious and lose yourself in the pictures, old advertising and painstakingly recreated packaging. A truly joyful piece of work. Do you love anyone enough to...?

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories in Hardback !, 30 April 2014
This review is from: The Great British Tuck Shop (Hardcover)
Saw these 2 guys on 'This Morning' a couple of weeks ago showing Holly & Phil all these old chocs & sweets that we can all remember (or had forgotten) from our childhood (I grew up in the 70's & 80's) and when I went into work the following day we had the conversation 'can you remember Aztec bars ... can you remember when you could go in an old sweetshop & ask for a 10p mix, and you came out with a bag full of fruit salads, black jacks, shrimps, bazookas ... so I knew I had to buy this book. Looked everywhere in the shops for it but couldn't find it so glad to find it was on Amazon.

First of all, the book came very quickly from 'Book Stop' - thank you.

Secondly, the book is very, very good, with 383 pages. Lots of big colour photographs of the old packaging etc, but not just that, there's lots of dialogue and great detail of how they came up with ideas, the rivalry between Cadburys & Mars etc. I've flicked through the photographs & now I'm going to ready it properly. You'll be singing 'a finger of fudge' and 'everyone's a fruit & nut case', I can guarantee it!

Can you now please do one on childhood programmes, because that's another thing we reminisce about at work !!

5.0 out of 5 stars So many memories!, 14 Mar 2014
N. P. Smith (Walthamstow, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great British Tuck Shop (Hardcover)
A great coffee table book to dip into. It brought back so many happy memories of treats that had real flavour and were affordable for the modest amount of pocket money that was given years ago!
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee table book, 14 Mar 2014
S. J. Garrity (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great British Tuck Shop (Hardcover)
I have this under my coffee table and people come in, pick it up and sit remembering all the sweets, chocolates etc from their childhood.
It brought back so many memories of sweets etc from my past and a few that are before my time.
Lovely book with lovely pictures.
i enjoyed this book that i went of to buy the book about toys of yesteryear.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Great British Tuck Shop (Hardcover)
ibrought this for a gift for my husband for christmas and he really enjoyed reading it , and so did i !!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great trip down memory lane., 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Great British Tuck Shop (Hardcover)
I bought this as a gift for the brother in law as we often reminisce about sweets from our childhoods.
I wasn't expecting it to be such an extravaganza of childhood treats,but the author has really gone to town with his research and unearthed loads of old pictures and adverts from the 70's and 80's which will take you right back.The book is written like a deadpan commentary from a Channel 4 "top 100" programme and is thus very witty and tongue-in-cheek.
The book has been well thumbed by all the family from my 13 year old daughter seeing how sweets used to look(Starburst were Opal Fruits?) to my 64 year old father.
If you're buying it as a gift,order an extra copy for yourself,because you really won't want to part with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Secret Santa, 14 July 2013
This review is from: The Great British Tuck Shop (Hardcover)
Bought as an office Secret Santa present and I would have been happy reading this myself. Takes you back - don't remember all of the things mentioned - but it will trigger lots of memories. A fun book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Great British Tuck Shop
The Great British Tuck Shop by Phil Norman (Hardcover - 27 Sep 2012)
9.26