5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read
Having read Wasting Police Time: The Crazy World of the War on Crime and Diary of an On-call Girl: True Stories from the Front Line and loved them both I thought I would give this one a go. I wasn't disappointed! Perverting the Course of Justice isn't as funny as either of the first two (although it is amusing in parts); it gives major insight into the life of a man who...
Published on 12 Jan 2009 by susie

3.0 out of 5 stars You're Nicked My Son
We've had Dave Copperfields book (and excellent blog), then Diary of an On-Call Girl, now the Inspector has called (hee hee - soz couldn't resist). Another sideways look at the world of the modern Police Force but this time from higher up the ranks, very well written and it's interesting to see the story told from the bosses view. He still describes the madeningly...
Published on 1 July 2009 by Icemaiden

1.0 out of 5 stars Dismal rubbish, 16 Dec 2008
This review is from: Perverting the Course of Justice: The Hilarious and Shocking Inside Story of British Policing (Paperback)
What a dismal little book this is. It reads like a disgruntled ten year olds' diary. From cover to cover, the anonymous State stooge relentlessly whines and whines, never once making any suggestion for viable improvement to the broken system that he actively supports every working day. It is truly pathetic. It isn't hard to understand that being lied to all of the time might make a policeman somewhat cynical but this pile of tripe is just beyond any reasonable justification. Yes, we know the system is broken and it isn't just the Police Force that is suffering, it's ALL of the major State institutions.

Not once in this book, does the author mention the possibility that his own actions (or rather, inactions) might just be contributing to the problem. But then, maybe he just wanted to make a few quid by jumping on a contemporary literary bandwagon.

All this book really does is epitomize the pathetic and utterly useless British habit of armchair protesting. The author is deeply embedded in (yet apparently completely ignorant of) a socio-political system that has no interest whatsoever in the wellbeing/safety of the public. But all of his rants and all of his whining won't achieve anything, except maybe a bigger bank balance for the author.

I won't go into the disgraceful stereotyping and institutionalized class prejudices contained in the book, suffice it to say, they're there.

All I can say to the author is this, If you don't approve of something, stop supporting it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Anonymity allows true colours to be revealed, 23 Jan 2010
If you are a card carrying member of the serial appologist brigade, you will love this book. It will justify all those difficult situations like De Menezes, Sean Rigg, Tomlinson et al.

However, if you have any questions as to why so many people have died in custody or experienced any misconduct by a boy in blue, it will have you seething. Three times I have said to myself that I will not continue to read this facist, arrogant neanderthal tripe. Now I have a pencil tucked into the book and I comment as I go along. I have snapped the lead several times but at least I can satisfy myself that I have done my best to understand the psychology of our modern police force.

No wonder Inspector Gadget writes under a pseudonym.

1.0 out of 5 stars I never found it hilarious or shocking, 20 Nov 2008
I have given this a one star review as anything else would not have been correctly reflected among the previous reviews.

This book contains alot of hypocrisy. For example berating defence solictors for defending their clients against charges laid - whilst admitting that because of government targets alot of people are being charged with offences that once upon a time they would not have been.

It is rather like saying - we act in a way that is morally corrupt - but no one else can.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 26 Jun 2012
Just a load of coppers moaning about the injustices in the legal world.I didn`t finish it and was very disappointed.