5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read
Having read Wasting Police Time: The Crazy World of the War on Crime and Diary of an On-call Girl: True Stories from the Front Line and loved them both I thought I would give this one a go. I wasn't disappointed! Perverting the Course of Justice isn't as funny as either of the first two (although it is amusing in parts); it gives major insight into the life of a man who...
Published on 12 Jan. 2009 by susie

3.0 out of 5 stars You're Nicked My Son
Published on 1 July 2009 by Icemaiden

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole truth, and nothing but the truth...., 21 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Perverting the Course of Justice: The Hilarious and Shocking Inside Story of British Policing (Paperback)
I want to keep this review brief...

This book is without doubt an awesome read.

It tells the truth in so much detail that it is almost painful for those that work in the industry. It shows just how bad the UK's public services have become after 10 years of a certain 'political party'.

I read in other reviews that people are recommending this book for senior officers. I fully agree, however just like every other bit of bad feedback, they will ignore it, and get back to their 6 figure salaried job of protecting criminals and disciplining police officers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book Should be Compulsory Reading..., 26 Sept. 2008
Mrs. J. Ellen "Auntie Jane" (The Fens, UK) - See all my reviews
I have never picked up a book written about the police force or written by a policeman. Not a subject I was particularly interested in, till I came across `Perverting the Course of Justice'.
I couldn't put it down. It is the most interesting - and disturbing - book I have ever read. If what IG (Inspector Gadget), says is true - and I have no reason to doubt his words - then the UK's criminal classes have never had it so good. There are guidelines and laws the police have to follow which are dreamt up by government officials and agreed by the powers that be, that are ridiculous. I can't think of a better word to use? There are targets - government targets/figures - to meet which means that one crime is worth more than one which might not be easy to solve.
So while the elderly couple are at home and being burgled, the police are not able to rush round as, if there are any free to attend (an unlikely situation on a weekend after dark), the few on duty will be breaking up fights in and around pubs or night clubs. If they arrest one of these yobs, it's back to the police station to book him/her in and at least four hours worth of paperwork which needs to be done in triplicate! No copying or pasting... Anything wrong and they would have to start again.
So it appears that more targets are met by breaking up a street disturbance than attending a house that's been burgled, where the culprit will have legged it. To reach the government targets and make the figures look good, crimes have to be solved. Arrest a drunken yob fighting another drunken yob, two for the price of one... Looks good on paper... Job done! The police don't have the man power to handle everything.
However... There is another hurdle to cross. Once back at the station they have to do the paperwork which is then sent to the CPS (Criminal Prosecution Service), for their approval. There can be quite a lot of this paperwork sent backwards and forwards before a decision is finally made as to whether the yob is put before a Magistrate. It could be the yob's 150th offence... but that doesn't mean he's going to be punished this time. More often than not, he's sent home to continue his drinking the next time he 'acquires' a little money. And the cycle starts over again.
You need to read the book... I find it practically unbelievable that these trouble makers - thieves, drug addicts, drunken louts - are back on our streets the day after being arrested. I used to wonder why the police didn't take them off the streets? Surely they must know who some of them are? Yes... They do. They know them all, but the CPS either block the case from going to court (mistake in the paperwork or not likely to get a result). It can take months and months for decisions to be made on charging, with suspects out on bail all the time. Then the Magistrate gives out such ridiculous sentences like fines - seldom paid - community service - seldom done - and slaps the person on the wrists and sends them home. Even if told that it will be prison if they break the law again... Most law-breakers know this isn't likely to happen.
IG writes with a lot of humour. This is a good book and should be compulsory reading for every MP and anyone involved in shaping our criminal laws... like Judges and Magistrates, who are often so far removed from what actually goes on in our streets. And I include the Big Wigs who sit in offices in Police Headquarters.
Review by Jane Ellen (Auntie Jane - An OAP who is an MOP).

5.0 out of 5 stars Gadget tells us what his bosses don't want us to hear., 13 Sept. 2008
I've been reading Gadget's blog for a while and picked this up out of curiosity. It's more of what was already published in the blog, but I certainly don't mean that in a bad way; this book is very well written and makes for a compelling read. Gadget's passion for doing a good job and frustration at being unable to do so as well as he'd like is apparent through the book, as is the emotional turmoil he feels at some of the appalling things he has seen and awful people he is forced to deal with.

3.0 out of 5 stars You're Nicked My Son, 1 July 2009
We've had Dave Copperfields book (and excellent blog), then Diary of an On-Call Girl, now the Inspector has called (hee hee - soz couldn't resist). Another sideways look at the world of the modern Police Force but this time from higher up the ranks, very well written and it's interesting to see the story told from the bosses view. He still describes the madeningly frustrating world they have to Police and the ridiculous constraints put on our Force by the powers that be. Read it, you won't be disspointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars So true, so depressing, 26 Mar. 2010
I've come to this late, but - as a serving officer - am a regular reader of Inspector Gadget's glorious blog. The book carries on from those entries and demonstrates just how confused and confusing the police force currently is - possibly to the point of never recovering. Any MOP (look it up) who's wondering just how crazy the life of the average plod is should read this: political meddling, bureaucracy, inept management, no staff on the ground, the pettiness of the calls we have to deal with... It makes one want to weep. As an insider it didn't shock me in the slightest, just made me roll my eyes and cross my fingers for change that's been a long time coming. Members of the public will wince and shake their heads as they turn the pages. And once you've read this, try WPC Bloggs' book, PC David Copperfield's 'Wasting Police Time', and Mike Thomas' 'Pocket Notebook'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scarily brilliant....., 22 Sept. 2008
C. Ecurb "ormskirkred" (Ormskirk, Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
This book is brilliant, and should be read by everyone who believes the police are rubbish.
I did, and still do to some extent, but am heartened to know that there is at least one Inspector out there who is doing his best to change my mind.
Gadget has obviously been in the force for some time, so is able to compare today's PC shenanigans with what should be done. The scary thing is that his like are being replaced by fast-tracked twerps who haven't got a clue.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... awesome, 25 Oct. 2008
Michael Brown "Michael" (BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As a front-line response inspector, like Mr GADGET, I read this book and both laughed and cried with equal measure, finishing it the day I bought it. I then immediately gave it to my Dad to let him read of my world and have already bought six copies for Christmas presents for other family / friends.

GADGET's insights sum up all that it has been my privilege to witness in over 10 years of operational policing at the sharp end and that this man does my specific job made it all the more engaging.

This is spot-on-the-money, intelligent, sufficiently angry, no-ranting exactitude. Your police force does not do what you think it does and does not fail you for the reasons you think: here's why.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great insight, 15 July 2009
After having read "Wasting Police Time" and as a serving officer I was looking forward to another truthful insight of modern British Policing. I was not disappointed, Inspector Gadget is obviously of the same opinion of the job as I am and it is a welcome change for someone of rank to have experienced the same problems and issues as I do on a daily basis.
A great read for any officer and an interesting read for anyone else interested in how the police service actually works

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth is Out There......Read me!, 22 July 2010
The truth is certainly out there. Like another book from Monday books, this is a must read for serving Police Officers and members of the public alike. I can say theres no fibs in this book, and common sense by the government and senior managers of Forces went years ago. I laughed in every page. Some call it toilet reading as each chapters only a page and half at most if you get my drift. Go on youl'll not regret buying and reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking and important, 26 Sept. 2008
K. T. O'Reilly (SE London) - See all my reviews
There are a lot of good books out now explaining the sorry state of our nation, mostly written by people on the front lines like police, teachers, soldiers and medical personnel. However there are two books that should be read by every citizen of voting age and they are Squandered by David Craig and this book. Craig's book looks at government waste; Inspector Gadget shows what has happened to policing and justice in Britain thanks to years of insane mismanagement.

First and most importantly, this is not a rant but a very readable and entertaining book. Inspector Gadget is a good writer, he has a nice, dry sense of humour and some of his descriptions of his "customers" and his little victories over the bureaucrats got big laughs from me. Nevertheless I had to put the book down many times, sometimes in anger, sometimes in sheer disbelief, just because of what he's describing.

And let me say while I'm not a policeman, I'm not a newcomer to books by coppers. I've read David Copperfield and EE Bloggs' books and I recommend both. However, Gadget's is less of a day by day diary of life on the job and more a pretty comprehensive look at modern day policing.

Being of more senior rank, he goes into more detail about the problems Bloggs and Copperfield touch upon and he tackles a wider range of issues that the police face every day. Health and safety, home office targets, senior officers and their initiatives, magistrates, defence lawyers, the CPS, MISPERS, drunken hooligans, timewasters, diversity and social workers. I think my jaw fell the furthest on that last topic, although a close second would be the chapter where Gadget lists every last piece of paperwork that needs to be filled in to process a teenage boy who's broken a shop window.

Like I say, this is an important book. As Gadget says, it is utterly insane what our police have to spend their shifts doing. Slogging through pointless paperwork, pursuing trivial offences to reach arbitrary "detection" targets, risking life and health arresting and re-arresting the same vicious thugs our court system isn't prepared to put away.

Maybe this book will help change that. I'm going to be sending my finished copy to my MP and I suggest others do the same. Even if that doesn't work, at least the ordinary people who read it will come away less likely to blame the police for the crazy system they're doing their best to work within.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›