5.0 out of 5 stars Well above par!
I had no idea what to expect from this but I am very glad I invested time and money in it - because it's excellent! Forget Stuart MacBride, this is much, much better if you like Scottish Crime Fiction. At just 276 pages it can easily be read in a day, and I will be looking out for the second in the DI Andy Gilchrist series, make no mistake.

The basic premise is...
Published on 27 Sept. 2008 by OEJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Excess all areas
Published 4 months ago by Malcolm R

5.0 out of 5 stars Well above par!, 27 Sept. 2008
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Eye for an Eye (Paperback)

The basic premise is that somebody nicknamed 'The Stabber' has been killing wife-abusing men, usually during violent storms, by thrusting a wooden stave into their left eyes. The story opens with the discovery of the sixth victim - so yes, it's a serial killer thriller, based in the small town of St Andrews near the world-famous golf course on the east coast of Scotand. There's very little in the way of police forensics or intimate police procedure, but maybe that's a good thing for once. Instead this is a strongly character-driven story that enables the reader to get deep into the mind and heart of the lead character, along with several others too. It's not shallow in any way, it is emotionally moving at several times and credibly so. I must admit that one or two of the closing events were somewhat predictable but in truth this did not spoil my enjoyment at all. Gilchrist has all manner of baggage to deal with, such as trying to see his re-married ex-wife and their two twenty-something children. There are several poignant moments within the story that make us realise that committing ourselves too much to our careers, at the expense of time spent with family, can have life-changing consequences; that may be obvious but I thought that the author tackled these issues with sensitivity and intrigue.

Another reviewer mentioned a similarity to Michael Connelly's writing style (praise indeed!) and I can see why. Frank Muir isn't yet a household name in the world of crime fiction but based on this evidence, he deserves to be. Pacey, thrilling, emotive and gripping to the last page. Strongly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars St Andrews, Edinburgh, Milton Keynes,what does it matter?, 13 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Eye for an Eye (Paperback)
An excellent novel from an author and a publisher who are new to me. Totally disagree with the reviewer N. King. A novel has to be set somewhere and an evocation of place by referring to street names, pubs, landmarks is inevitable and helps to set the scene. If a book is set in my home town (as many have), I'd feel an immediate sense of closeness to the author and plot, whether he/she lived there or not.

Since this is a review of a book and not a review of a review, I'd like to commend Mr Muir on his plot (interesting and not at all derivative), characters (Gilchrist is easy to empathise with since he's both intelligent and flawed) and dialogue (seems realistic though I'm not a Scot).

If this is the beginning of a series, I look forward to future entries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mean streets of St andrew's, 14 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Eye for an Eye (Paperback)
I've been to St Andrew's many times and although I knew that it had a dark and dangerous past, I had no idea it was such a hotbed of violence, sexual shenanigans and multiple murder.
At least, that's th...
e St Andrew's of Frank Muir's debut novel.
The local tourist board will no doubt prefer to punt the virtues of the town's history, its university and that game where they batter a wee white ball round the green and try to get it into the wee hole, but Frank gives us a whole new insight into this seaside resort.
It's a dark tale, gritty and, in places, grotty. No-one could call the world of his hero DI Gilchrist in any way cosy. These are mean streets, man, and there are seriously deranged individuals rubbing shoulders with the tourists and the royal students.
The dialogue is smart, crisp and snappy - just the way I like it - the characterisation deft. The setting is also vividly realised.
There have been more DI Gilchrist novels released since this one - the latest just last week - and based on the evidence of this initial outing I will be returning to the dark wynds and sea sprayed streets of Fife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Crime Novel!, 4 Jun. 2012
E. Rettig "Liz" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eye for an Eye (Paperback)
Eye for an Eye is a cracking psychological crime novel. I loved it. The detective Andy Gilchrist is a great character with a credible, well fleshed out background and, though a gritty type, he is much more likeable and appealing than most in this genre. For example, I found his tense relationship with his semi-estranged adult son and daughter moving and authentic. The writing, especially descriptive passages, is brilliant and even as the body count mounts the author managed to move me to tears at one point over an old dog whose master had died! I'm looking forward reading more from this talented author

3.0 out of 5 stars Excess all areas, 9 Oct. 2014
A first novel which starts a series with a bang and some genuine detection but also an awful lot of hunches and gut reactions. Needs to calm down in future books as there is almost too much plot but I suppose that means different characters in the next one! Unfortunately it gives the impression that St Andrews is the Scots version of Midsummer Murders and thus not a patch on Rebus and Edinburgh or Lorimer in Glasgow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value - well constructed thriller, 2 Dec. 2012
OK - I bought this cos it was Kindle Daily Deal and having been born in St Andrews (now residing in Ireland) I thought it would be nice to read a novel set there ......

But - was surprised and delighted by the book. Super construction, fascinating characters and pithy Scottish humour in the dialogue.

I will definitely read the others in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding newcomers contribution to the Scottish Noir repertoire and it looks like he's here to stay., 13 July 2014
If you like your protagonists fallable, your fiction gritty and your crime scenes gruesome then this is the author for you!

Having lived in Fife for a number of years now and grown a very strong affinity for St Andrews, it was with the excited anticipation I usually reserve for crime fictions depictions of Connelly's LA or the isolated, dark landscapes of Nordic Noir that I purchased Eye For An Eye and I was not disappointed.

Scandanavian or American landscapes usually encompass so much of an authors work that the protagonists surroundings are depicted as a character in themselves. I initially had some reluctance that the idyllic St Andrews, which I know well, comprised primarily of one cobbled street and two roads could be given an authentic sinister portrayal. However I stand corrected, Muir manages not only to portray the troubled Gilchrist as a credible detective and human, marched down a path of self destruction and believability but he also breaths fresh life into the usual crime fiction detective stereotype. Muir also effectively introduces the reader to the imagined (I hope) hidden violent sexual deviancy of the under belly of a perfect seaside town.

No doubt critics will make immediate comparison to Rankin's Rebus, I personally saw a lot more of Connelly's Bosch in the detective. After finishing this novel in one day I am still impressed how Muir has made so much from somewhere so small as St Andrews.

Although the violence and crime scenes hold more in common with horror genres then crime I firmly believe Muir has marked Gilchrist on the Tartan Noir map. I look forward to reading the rest of the authors series, I'm certain he's here to stay. A recommend read to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable story, 17 Jun. 2014
somnus "somnus" (Cambes Lot et Garonne France) - See all my reviews
First that I have read by TF Muir and have now purchased A Tooth for a Tooth. I like the main character Andy Gilchrist and he had the description of St Andrews down to a tee. The pace is quite subdued but there many twists and turns. sufficient to keep turning pages. On the whole a nice easy read that keeps the interest going!

3.0 out of 5 stars Eye for an eye(DO Gilchrist l ) by T. F.Muir, 15 May 2014
I enjoyed this book but it wasn't exciting it didn't keep me wanting to pick it up all the time

5.0 out of 5 stars page turner can't put down, 8 Mar. 2014
I bought this book at 4.30am and started reading it. At 12.05pm I finished it- could not put it down- great story great characters can't wait to start no 2.

Eye for an Eye
Eye for an Eye by Frank Muir (Paperback - 1 Aug. 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01