on 9 March 2014
Indeed it is "just what you need", in my opinion, if you are serious about your interest in counselling. I am currently approaching the "business" end of my Level 3 counselling course (CPCAB) and I refer to this book constantly. So it's not just for introductory courses but will take you well beyond. I have now purchased Pete Sanders "Next Steps" book but I know that I will still use this book alongside. The style and layout of the subject lends itself very well to "dipping" in and out as well as reading it chapter by chapter, although I would not recommend that personally.
I have come back to studying late in life (I'm 47 this year) and my experience and opinion of text books was based on those provided when I was at secondary school in the late 1970's and early 80's. Some of those musty tomes we were still using were first written in the 1950's and 60's and the text was very dry, often boring and presented the facts in a way guaranteed to put you off the subject within a few pages. Not so with the Pete Sanders style. His approach is a far cry from that.
Yes the facts are there, the origins of counselling theory, the skills needed and counselling relationships etc. but he peppers his text with examples, anecdotes and a good deal of humour which make it a much more enjoyable way to absorb the information. There are suggested activities to get you thinking about your own thoughts and feelings and helpful diagrams and text boxes on many pages to give extra guidance.
Another refreshing change for me is the excellent use of page margins to quote references of sources of extra help. There's nothing I hate more than numbered references at the end of sentences which you then have to look up at the end of a chapter of even right at the end of the book. I always feel compelled to do it and it almost invariably breaks my concentration on what I have just read.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough if you have any interest in counselling, whether that be for serious study or as an introduction to the world of helping work and the needs that drive people to seek help in the first place.
I know this book will be a constant "friend" during my continuing studies and an "old mate" when I qualify!
on 13 September 2011
It's a great book but not an easy subject to read on your own.you will need a group or class setting to practice some of the suggestions and exercises in the book.
on 22 December 2011
Excellant book arrived promptly, really pleased with the book as it speaks in lay mans english, makes understanding the basics of counselling so easy Thank you
on 19 November 2011
I bought this book largely from reading all the good reports on Amazon. I must say, I wasn't disappointed. Although I am already well into a couselling degree course, I have found a great deal to learn from this book which is well written, extremely 'reader friendly' and contains something for everyone I'm sure - whatever their stage of learning or practice. In my opinion, despite the title, this book would be of intetest well beyond the introductory stage.
on 25 July 2013
Great help in my studying and reflective practices. This man knew what he was talking about and there is a lot you can relate to as you go through life and experience life!
on 20 April 2013
This book was bought for my daughter as she is doing counselling course. It was suggested reading by her tutor. Very down to earth and 'normal' language and also entertaining and not boring to read.
on 15 May 2015
Brought for use at Coventry University, for a Level 1 counselling advantage course.

This is essential reading for anyone who is starting out in a counselling course, particularly in person centred counselling, and is an essential reference in many reports, with it also offering further reading suggestions.
on 24 May 2013
A good companion to reference now and then to put you back on the thoughts and ideas you have when counselling. Was really helpful during my studies.
on 20 February 2016
I have wanted to start reading about counselling methods for years, but with so many books out there it's so hard to find the right one for the job.
I finally applied to a course to study counselling skills. As we met the teachers they recommended that this book would be perfect for the course. I promptly bought it eager to learn about the counselling skills. I was pleasantly surprise with the book. There was so much information. Not just on counselling skills, but the history of it all too. It had information on psychological studies that had been done which made counselling what it is today.
If you're looking to learn the basics of counselling skills, this book is a perfect introduction for you. Very well written and very informative.
on 15 April 2014
This book has been the backbone of my counselling level 3 in person centred, can be used of other theories if needed.
Once you have finished level 2 this book you can refer back to it for level 3. This will give you a head start in the course. It has every thing you will learn and be asked to do.