5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Dickens
Published on 14 Dec. 2007 by S. Saville

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Osburne Young Readrer Version Instead!
I bought this for teaching my class as a childrens version of the original Oliver Twist. However it has lots of important bits of the story missing - the Osborne version is so much better. Hamilton Literacy Plan suggest this one by Gill Taverner but I preferred the other. It follows the actual book and films more closely. My class preferred the other one too.
Published 24 months ago by Julie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Dickens, 14 Dec. 2007
S. Saville - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oliver Twist (Paperback)
Our 9 year old loved reading this creative and intelligent re-writing of the classic Dicken's story. Even though the films have been seen and the songs song this book brought a freshness to the story that was appreciated by our son and also by us once he'd finished with it - which didn't take long. We look forward to ejoying more of Gill Tavner's adaptations in the near future

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Must have' for any Victorian topic, 22 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Oliver Twist (Paperback)
I used this with my year 3 class when we studied the Victorians. The text is really clear and of a good size and the images are a great discussion point. I used this book inparticular to discuss the structure of stories (story mountains) as it has a clear structure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rachel's book review, 26 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Oliver Twist (Paperback)
This entertaning read is perfect for anyone who loves a bit of mystery and heartbreak all in one great book.Oliver is a boy that lives in a dirty workhouse but gets thrown out. Follow Oliver on his amazing jouney through the terrifying streets of London where he reveals the secrets of his past time. This is a great book and I'd recommend it to mature 8+ readers because it includes some of the horror genre that younger readers may be scared of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Oliver Twist (Paperback)
The book is written in language that is simple enough that my year 1 class were able to access the meaning and the plot when I read it to them, but of a high enough level that KS2 children should also enjoy reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book for struggling readers, 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Oliver Twist (Paperback)
This book has a good mix of images and text, which engages the reader throughout. It has shortened the text in order to keep the attention of the audience (which is definitelty does). At the back of the book, there are themes, questions and discussion points which I found really useful to bring into the classroom. I am a teacher and used this book to teacher struggling readers - a great success!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Dickens, 4 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Oliver Twist (Paperback)
Dicken's original story is retold well, the darker parts are inevitably softened but the story still keeps it's impact while being accessible to younger readers. I would recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Osburne Young Readrer Version Instead!, 4 Feb. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars best buy, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Oliver Twist (Paperback)
my son and daughter enjoyed reading this book. i had told them how i enjoyed reading this book when i was young and they wanted to read the book as well. delivery was quick and efficient. i will be reading the book myself again.

5.0 out of 5 stars super class resource, 15 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Oliver Twist (Paperback)
It provides background to classic novel without struggling with the old english language. Fun illustrations to encourage the reader. Great buy

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Oliver Twist (Paperback)
Bought this for my little brother and he loved it. It is so easy for children to read. Would recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Oliver Twist
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (Paperback - 25 Nov. 2007)