5.0 out of 5 stars Blood Sweat And Lions, 17 May 2008
David Golding (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Sweat and Lions (Paperback)
David Lemons Book, Blood Sweat And Lions is about one mans walk. Did I say walk you got to admire the man, 1200 kilometres through the Zambezi Valley in the blazing Heat with lack of water added to that sleeping outside in the bush with the company of lions snakes spiders poaches etc, was he mad? at the age of 61 you would think so, But you need to read it for yourself. A great book, I just found it hard to put down.I am looking forward to his next instalment.
Thank you Mr Lemon for the inspiration that you have given me, I can no longer say, I can't do that, Or I am to old, to tired, not fit, and any other excuse that I may come up with .

5.0 out of 5 stars Couch Potato in Gloucester, 25 May 2008
This review is from: Blood Sweat and Lions (Paperback)
Forget your organised and highly sponsored adventures. This is truly a man that gets out there and lives the dream. Doesn't have time for the no-can-do mentality. Takes you through a landscape that he is truly at home with and has a passion for, even with all of the hardships that he encounters. This is one book that I will refer back to again and again, and still get as much enjoyment out of. And maybe.... just maybe, will push me into pursuing some of my dreams too !!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Walk with a Giant, 2 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Blood Sweat and Lions (Paperback)
When I stayed with David Lemon and his wife Lace, in his lovely rustic Cottage in the Cotswolds, I was shown a copy of his new book 'Blood, sweat and Lions.'
I looked at the cover and wondered what story could there possibly be about a stroll down the Kariba dam shoreline?
It was only when I started reading the book a few months later that I discovered that I couldn't put it down.
I was based up at Binga for a short spell in the Rhodesian bush war and as I read David's account it all came flooding back to me. The smells, the sounds, the sweat, the fear, the dread, the amazing beauty and the solitude of such a wild part of Africa.
I was nervous back then, even carrying a rifle and for David to make this journey unaided and alone is simply astonishing. I certainly could never have done it.
You simply cannot afford to miss out on this book, a tribute to a man who conquered his own fears to prove to himself that he is still breathing and full of life in his sixties! Well done, David.
Tony, Salisbury, UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Add's a different dimension to the afternoon constitutional!!, 26 April 2008
A. C. Reynolds "Mums the word" (Cheltenham, Glos,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Sweat and Lions (Paperback)
An fabulous 'can't put it down' book - especially if you've ever despaired after reaching a serious birthday (40,50,60) and thought it was time to sit in a comfy chair with a pair of big fluffy slippers, pipe, or knitting bag (cross out as applicable)then YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK - it will make you want to pull out your walking boots from the cupboard under the stairs, and hunt for those tweedy walking socks that still have the sales ticket attached.

This book is like a hyperdermic of wake-up call in the bottom. Its a rip-roaring tale full of amazing animals, incredible landscapes, grumpy park wardens, nutritional hardship, dedication, grit, and determination.

It paints Zimbabwe as a troubled country - especially in the light of what we have all heard about on TV and in the press recently. But it also champions its stunning beauty, friendly peoples, and wealth of natural riches in such a way you will want to find out more.

I salute Mr Lemon for what he has achieved - his writing is moving, witty, and shows great knowledge and love for this environment. I and some other friends have started on his back catalogue which I rate just as highly, and I am looking forward to further instalments.

I hope that you will enjoy this book as much as my friends and family have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blood, sweat and lions, 6 April 2008
J. O'Toole "Rhodie" (Devon U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Sweat and Lions (Paperback)
Think about it! Alone, middle of the night, deep in the African bush, no question of support and faced by a very large, dangerous animal - no, not the mother in law - but a lion,a buffaloe, an elephant or a crocodile. There are still 400 miles to walk through the wilderness. Everything you have is on your back.
Dave Lemon's tale is of reckless daring, great courage and incredible determination.
I would have loved to have had the courage to do it.
A great and absorbing read.

Jim O'Toole

4.0 out of 5 stars Walk on the Wild Side, 3 April 2013
Noel (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Sweat and Lions (Paperback)
David Lemon was a 61 and three quarter year old 'Rhodie' now resident in Gloucestershire. At a time of life when most of us are at least thinking of putting our feet up and reading a jolly good adventure story, (perhaps about a lengthy solo walk through the African bush) this man decides instead to write that book. He returns to his past haunts in Zimbabwe and in particular the town of Kariba at the north-eastern head of Lake Kariba.

Then, equipped with backpack and the most basic of supplies he sets out to walk about 1200 kms westward along the southern edge of this vast manmade lake. He crosses game reserves, hunting reserves and forbidden lands. He enjoys the kindness of strangers and being in the presence of the wild creatures who give him safe passage (sometimes more by accident than design). He passes his 62nd birthday en route to Binga where he arrives, a shadow of the physical man who set out on the journey, but a giant of achievement.

This is a very human account of the painful joy of the 'hobble' through the bush, dotted with regret about the impact of some of the hunting fraternity on the animals of the bush. I am not a 'Rhodie' but shared the ups and downs of this journey as I have enjoyed so many other accounts written by the citizens, or former citizens, of Zimbabwe who cannot disguise their love for this place.

Try also:
- Alexandra Fuller's Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood
- Peter Godwin's Mukiwa: A White Boy in Africa
- Rod Wells' The Part-Time War

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, 6 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Blood Sweat and Lions (Paperback)
An incredible feat by a 61 year old and it made for a wonderful read. Great to see that adventure is still alive in this increasingly plastic world of ours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Escape to Africa, 12 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Blood Sweat and Lions (Paperback)
The perfect antidote to the winter blues. Lose yourself in David Lemons fantastic account of what many of us would love to do, but in relaity will never have the bottle to. Discover that the Africa you read about as a child is still there, it just requires a bit more finding.

5.0 out of 5 stars blood sweat and lions, 18 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Blood Sweat and Lions (Paperback)
No back-up team, no Plan B, this is an inspiring story of survival. An African Bush Walk with a difference. David Lemon makes us realise that it is never too late to 'live the dream'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, 24 April 2008
This review is from: Blood Sweat and Lions (Paperback)
Everyone lives a dream - few ever do it. A wonderful testament to one who did. A must read for all Zimbabweans and adventurers everywhere.

Blood Sweat and Lions
Blood Sweat and Lions by David Lemon (Paperback - 6 Feb. 2008)