‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful book, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Great British Bike Rides: 40 Classic Routes for Road Cyclists (Paperback)
This book is nothing short of brilliant. It details (and I mean details) 40 spectacular rides through England, Scotland and Wales. It provides you with all the tools for a great day on the bike. Every ride is designed as a loop with a shorter bail out option in case of time pressures or tired legs. It provides advice, maps, route cards with turn by turn instructions and most importantly statistics on every climb including severity, profile and distance. It is filled with the most beautiful photographs and little snippets of local knowledge. The book gives you access to GPX files for every ride which you can program into your sat nav bike computer. I have just ridden the Snowdonia ride and can vouch for this book 100%. The gpx file was NASA accurate safely delivering me back to my car on a little off road car park. The route was magnificent with Dave's Bon Mots ringing in my head as I screamed down from pen y pass to Llanberis. The book is a homage to the most beautiful British scenery and the best way to enjoy it - on a bike. It represents an unrivalled passion, an obsessional grasp of detail important for not getting lost, a year of a man's life and throughout it all he managed to stay married! I can only guess at how much hard work this represents and congratulate Dave for achieving a life's ambition with a book he should be really proud of.

5.0 out of 5 stars I had thought I was buying this as a present... but NO WAY - I'm keeping it for myself!, 2 April 2013
Great British Bike Rides: 40 Classic Routes for Road Cyclists is totally different from Dave's earlier book, 'Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder'Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder, (which I loved) and I really didn't think it would be for me since I'm a 60+ grandmother who's only been a relatively active cyclist for the past couple of years and very unlikely to do anything marked more than 'average'/'moderate'; I had planned to give 'Great British Bike Rides' to my keen cycling brother for his birthday later this month but now I'm going to have to order another copy as HE'S NOT HAVING THIS ONE. Why? Because it's a good-looking, well-written, well-organised, full-colour book that is utterly seductive and I'm not only going to keep it but use it too. I've worked out that, even if I never do a whole ride in one go, I can almost certainly use it to do parts of rides - the bits that are not likely to put me into an early grave through over-exertion.

Although initially a bit concerned about the small size of the typeface, I am lucky to have specs that cope well and I find the text sufficiently dark, with clear san-serif font so it's proving not to be a problem.

'OCCD' inspired me not only thanks to the sheer exuberant lunacy of Dave but also by his sincere passionate advocacy for the glories of cycling - I've ridden many more miles in the past year thanks to it. Now with this latest book I've discovered that Dave's not just entertaining - he has what it takes to create a work that will bring pleasure to anyone who loves the amazing variety of terrain in Britain and who wants encouragement and guidance to explore it for themselves. It's been fun during the past year to read Dave's [...] blog in which he has described the gestation of this precious baby of his. I feel I've been given some idea just what a labour of love it has been for the whole Barter family and offer them hearty congratulations on its successful delivery!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book on road cycling in Britain!, 10 Jun 2013
Holly Brown-Williams (Berkeley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
While at our favorite bookshop in London, Stanford's on Long Acre, we were delighted when the book we dreamed of finding jumped right out at us on their "Cycling" shelf! If we made a list of everything we wanted to find in a book to help us plan cycling holidays in Britain, "Great British Bike Rides" would contain it all-- and then some. It is an unbelievable wealth of information. The author clearly brought tremendous experience to writing this guidebook, and knew what other cyclists would look for. Here are some of the highlights for us:

* A book focused on long and challenging single-day rides, vs. point-to-point tours (we aren't interested in loaded touring, and this gives us the flexibility to base ourselves in a region but alter plans if the day proves horrible vs. being really stuck on a longer multi-day tour)

* Covers the whole of Britain, taking in the absolute best of each region-- on paved roads, not cycle tracks

* Wonderful written descriptions of each route, with highlights and color photos

* Detailed elevation profiles to really understand the climbs, and recommended gearing

* Notes about the kind of roads, including surfaces, to be encountered

* Proper maps and turn-by-turn directions, with suggestions on when it is best to do each ride

* Prevailing winds, with recommended direction to ride (are you kidding me? who else would have thought of that!!)

In addition, the book is beautifully put together in full color, serving as a travelogue as well as a practical guide.

Can't imagine a better book on the subject, and it will be the basis of planned and imagined cycling trips for years to come!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tour of Britain tour de force, 6 April 2013
The previous two reviews say it all really, and far better than I could. But I've just got to add my own "bravo!" for this brilliant book. My cycling days are far behind me but nostalgia is an on-going condition. This book vividly details some "happy highways where I went" and many more where I didn't or couldn't. I can now re/live them in the maps and descriptions which encapsulate wonderfully the great British landscape in all its moods, beauties and challenges. The technical info is SO impressive and the author's attention to detail demands my respect. The numerous photos, too, are splendid. It's a tour of Britain by bike and equally a tour de force. Congratulations Dave Barter.

Incidentally I pre-ordered this book from Amazon only to find I had to wait 2 extra weeks beyond publication date. Wish I'd ordered it from the publishers. Come on Amazon, keep up, pedal harder!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 22 April 2013
What a stunning book! I was after a book that would give me some fresh challenges for the year ahead, and this book gives them in abundance. Although I think they'll take me more than a year to bag! The format of the book is brilliant with clear detailed descriptions of the route along with further information about when's best to ride to avoid things like busier traffic times. I particularly like the info on the climbs showing exactly what's to be expected (or dreaded!), showing gradients and lengths.

It's also good that you can download the GPX files for your GPS computer which makes following the routes even simpler allowing you to focus more on the stunning scenery than either road signs or your ever increasing heart rate.

This truly is a stunning, inspirational book which should keep even the most experienced cyclists busy for a while. I can't wait to get out and get ticking- well some of the short-cut versions anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well presented, well written and worth the cash, 13 May 2013
I have ridden literally 1000's of miles in England, Wales and Scotland, I bought this book with a similar intention as the 100 greatest climbs, ie as a tick list of things I have done ;-)

The book arrived and it is so much more, roads and routes that I have cycled many times and I have familiar routes for have been given new twists by Dave, he gives clear indication of the road surface and the types of road used.

If you are going on holiday there is sure to be a route in the book that is not to far away.

The book is worth the money just for the stunning photography let alone the routes and the narrative.

I have now started thinking about re-visiting some of the far flung places in the British Isles to see what I missed! and my desire for a tour of Scotland has been rekindled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 26 April 2013
After reading Dave's first book which I thought was brilliantly funny I had to have a copy of this and I am not disappointed. Lots and lots of work and time must have gone into making this book with all the details of the rides it contains. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging rides detailed in a great cycling book, 22 April 2013
Couldn't wait for this book to come out. The rides are long and challenging, exactly my cup of tea. They're pretty much all over the country and cover plenty of scenery I've yet to explore by bike.

There's plenty of detail about each ride, from vital statistics to climb profiles. And you can download a GPX track for each ride from the website to help you navigate the course.

I love the book and can't wait to go on more of these rides now that spring is finally with us - highly recommended for committed cyclists who aren't afraid of a challenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazingly Inspiring Book, 12 April 2013
This book is very well laid out with great information on each of the rides. The picture quality is excellent, and it has got me planning holidays for the next few years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Good, 20 July 2013
This is a seriously good book with some seriously good routes that will appeal to serious cyclists without being too... well, serious. Seriously, the routes are cracking, beautifully presented and illustrated and leavened with some wry and dry observations from Dave Barter - a rising star in the world of cycling writing. Mr Barter is that rare and excellent thing: a serious cyclist who doesn't take himself to seriously.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Great British Bike Rides: 40 Classic Routes for Road Cyclists
Great British Bike Rides: 40 Classic Routes for Road Cyclists by Dave Barter (Paperback - 18 Mar 2013)