5.0 out of 5 stars A magical,educational,and funny adventure for all.
Published on 5 Oct 2002 by laineyf

3.0 out of 5 stars after visiing the lovely zoo in jersey i expected this book to bring back good memory. but it was about the owner life ...
Was not what i thought it was going to be about, after visiing the lovely zoo in jersey i expected this book to bring back good memory. but it was about the owner life story really.
Published 1 month ago by kim henwood

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical,educational,and funny adventure for all., 5 Oct 2002
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
What can I say about this wonderful book that can possibly do it justice? I first read it 30 years ago, and I am convinced that it was on the strength of this book that I passed my English Literature G.C.E!! It is an incredible book. It is full of funny, warm characters, and of course, the amazing animals! It must have been like heaven to be a small boy on the island of Corfu. It was this book which made me determined to visit Corfu one day, and when I did, I wasn't disappointed. It evoked for me wonderful images of a country I had never visited, and made me long to see it. The Durrell family are a delight, and the way that Gerald tells the story makes you feel as though you are actually there! I loved it, and still do.My children have read it
and they also love it. It is I think an enduring book, one which will continue to delight readers for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars GERALD DURRELL MUST READ, 15 Jun 2001
The first Gerald Durrell book I ever read,my mum recommended to me, I thought it would be very boring and in reply said no, but for my birthday she got me his fist 2 books written, I decided i should read it and, as I started to read it I couldnt put it down, set in the sunny country of Corfu, it was very funny, exciting and showed a real inside to that happy go lucky boy Gerald Durrell, full of laughs which he, his 2 brothers, his mother, his sister and of course his dog called Roger.
EVERYONE WILL LOVE THIS BOOK!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A charming story - Genuinely funny, 5 Nov 2003
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The stories within each chapter are filled with animals, the wonderful eccentricities of Durrel's family and the other residents of Corfu. The island and the authors childhood sound wonderful and I would recommend this book to anyone seeking something light-hearted, interesting and amusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars my family and other animals, 31 Dec 2004
By A Customer
A book I first read as a child, and still continue to read. I love it. Inspired me to become a veterinarian.

5.0 out of 5 stars dream-esque, 14 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This is such simple yet wonderful book. It really does transport you into a world of dreams, hilarious oddities and unfazed youthfull dreams. Including heart-warming and trully individual characters, through the eyes of an endearing young boy, this creation of loveliness is a must for anyone who still remenices over hazy childhood summers with a rush of happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could give it 6 stars!, 23 April 2007
This book is absolutely, brilliantly funny. The wit and unique characterizations are woven with great descriptions of the animals and plants of Corfu. That Durrell can hold the attention of readers who have no interest in biology simply demonstrates what a fine work this is. Gerald's depiction of a larger-than-life expatriate family on a larger-than-life Greek island is a tremendous celebration of life. The variety of different Greek characters parading through this book rivals the variety of Corfu's flora and fauna. Absolute great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A true natural history classic, 17 Sep 2004
J. Charlesworth (Lewes, E. Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I hadn't read this for a while, and I'd forgotten how simply perfect it is. I was introduced to Durrell by my parents reading this aloud to me as a small child.
As a keen naturalist I loved the descriptions of the animals and his sheer enthusiasm for all kinds of life. I think my parents blame Gerald Durrell for all the animals I brought home after being inspired by his work. The descriptions are stunning and the family anecdotes endlessly amusing.

4.0 out of 5 stars No reviews?, 21 Sep 2005
I was surprised there were no reviews for this warm and funny book. I feasted on Gerald Durrell's animal books in my early teens and enjoyed revisiting this recently when I bought as a present for a friend's daughter. Those of his books that feature his rather zany family are always particularly delightful. Recommended for anyone who likes animals, Greeks or taking the mickey out of Lawrence Durrell.

5.0 out of 5 stars The no. 1 book, 18 Oct 2005
This book was my main motivation to learn to read: my mother used to read it to us... or to be correct, she made vain attempts that ended in roaring laughter. I simply had to know what was so funny. Truth be told she is a mother of four just like Mrs Durrell was, and now I can back up her opinion that whatever is written in this book about familiy life is no exaggeration.
Although I found the description of animal life interesting as well, that could never surpass the scenes about relatives and friends; and people in general. If you have a big family and/or lot of friends and haven't yet read this book, do so now! It makes life so much more fun. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A book reread over and over, 5 Oct 2003
By A Customer
I first read this book when I was ten years old, and it has never stopped entertaining me. With Spiro's language, and his daring theft of the King of Greece's goldfish, Larry's extreme hilarious selfishness, to the picnic with the 'magenpies' causing havoc, not to mention the French language tutoring, this book is studded with great stories of a budding naturist. It is surely one of my all time favourite Durrell books.

My Family and Other Animals (Csa Word Recording)
My Family and Other Animals (Csa Word Recording) by Gerald Durrell (Audio CD - 9 Aug 2010)
14.29