Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 November 2012
excellent book,very informative and helpful in every sense,simple and easy to follow,would recommend to any budding alpinist.
pictures good too
on 2 March 2015
A good reference point covering all essential areas and more besides. Useful illustrations and clear text allow one to focus on the subject
on 19 December 2014
good book.
on 9 November 2013
I'm going to break the run of complete 5-star reviews for this book. It's a good read and full of information no doubt - from techniques and roping, to kit lists and guidance, to a guide book section of good places to start off in the Alps. It's been an informative and enjoyable read, but the book does miss its target at times but only in two areas.

Firstly, the book is aimed at those who have either done some climbing work, or who have only ever hiked before. However, it seems to forget about the latter target audience at times, usually by using some terminology that isn't explained. You may then encounter it again later in the book where its meaning becomes clear. As a result I found myself going back several chapters trying to find the earlier use to see if what I'd read before then made more sense.

Secondly, the use of colour photos throughout is excellent and adds to the quality feel of the bookbut they can lack clarity and in many cases I found myself either playing "spot the difference" for something that was a sequence of steps, or unclear as to what the concept being shown was despite the descriptions that accompany each photo or sequence. In books with bad diagrams you find yourself wishing for photos, but at points in this book I found myself wishing for a clear diagram.

Overall though, a great book but it benefits from multiple readings.
on 25 December 2015