5.0 out of 5 stars Should come free with your first kayak.
Published on 25 Jan 2009 by F. R. Jack

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but light on advice for a first purchase
This book is full of useful information on safety, techniques, what equipment (other than the kayak) you will need.

Published 16 months ago by Mr. M. Arrell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Should come free with your first kayak., 25 Jan 2009
F. R. Jack (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sit-on-top Kayak: A Beginner's Manual (Paperback)
As someone new to kayaking last year (and what fantastic fun it's been!) I found this readable little book a very useful introduction. It covers the basics sensibly and comprehensively with sections on paddling technique, clothing and equipment, safety tips, and some useful stuff about reading and managing currents and tides. An excellent introduction which is difficult to fault.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for novices., 5 Jan 2008
This review is from: Sit-on-top Kayak: A Beginner's Manual (Paperback)
An excellent book covering all the safey aspects of Sit on Top kayaks. Very sound advice for anyone using one of these craft for the first time, and also an interesting read for the more experienced.
Full of high quality pictures and diagrams

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal beginners manual!, 17 Jun 2010
This review is from: Sit-on-top Kayak: A Beginner's Manual (Paperback)
This is a great book which I consider an ideal source of practical advice for anyone new to taking their kayak out for the first few times.

There isn't much Derek doesn't know about kayaking and this book is full of sensible help starting from advice as to the best way to transport your kayak through to rigging it out and of course the essential safety advice both regarding clothing, practice, navigation and how to deal/react in emergencies.

An essential book for any novice to medium experienced user and is highly recommnended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear starting point., 2 Sep 2009
Richard Batho (Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sit-on-top Kayak: A Beginner's Manual (Paperback)
I found the book to be a useful and clear starting point for going out on my kayak. It is well written and full of pointers that when read make perfect sense but would not naturally be apparent to a novice such as myself. Also full of diagrams that were very helpful. Very good value for money and highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book of knowledge, 18 Feb 2011
Mr. J. FLINT (WEST SUSSEX UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sit-on-top Kayak: A Beginner's Manual (Paperback)
I have been kayaking for just over a year but their are many good points in this book which i will use. Any easy read and clear points.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets you going - good basics, 17 Sep 2009
E. S. Davey (Weybridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sit-on-top Kayak: A Beginner's Manual (Paperback)
Very good book to get you going after you purchase a new SOT. Having canoe'd when I was in the Scouts, I knew the basics but self rescue, wave surfing & basic safety are always worth reading again before you set out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Book, 8 Aug 2009
Mr. J. Payne "tsunamijez" (Jersey C.I.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sit-on-top Kayak: A Beginner's Manual (Paperback)
Great book easy to understand gave good advice and great insight into the basics will have hours of fun on my sit on top kayak

5.0 out of 5 stars It Gave me Confidence to Get in the Water, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sit-on-top Kayak: A Beginner's Manual (Paperback)
As a pensioner, novice Kayaker, reading this book cover to cover several times gave me the confidence to venture forth on the water which I have never regretted and enjoy every moment. Thank you for opening a new dimension to my life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but light on advice for a first purchase, 6 Aug 2013
Mr. M. Arrell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sit-on-top Kayak: A Beginner's Manual (Paperback)

I would have preferred a much bigger section on buying a kayak as I am still to purchase one and am not really much the wiser as to which one to go for. I'll still be going to the kayak shop relying on the seller to be honest with me, I was hoping this book would leave me a bit more confident of exactly what to go for.

I would recommend, as the author does, going to a local club and quizzing others on which to go for, trying out all the different ones available there and seeing which suits you best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sit-on-Top kayak:A beginner's Manual, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Sit-on-top Kayak: A Beginner's Manual (Paperback)
Very well presented. Clear and concise information. Lots of delightful colour pictures. A thoroughly enjoyable book. Easy to find articles related to your needs as required particularly as each individual will chose different areas of kayaking to strengthen or improve.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sit-on-top Kayak: A Beginner's Manual
Sit-on-top Kayak: A Beginner's Manual by Derek Hairon (Paperback - 1 July 2007)