5.0 out of 5 stars Things to do with Mum, 22 April 2010
Mrs. C. A. Swan "Books Mum" (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things to do with Mum (Hardcover)
I bought this book to help with my Volunteer work within families. It is fantastic, with ideas from making a Pixie Garden (my Grandchildren and I made one and called it a Fairy Garden)to cooking - oh those Italian meatballs are so delicious and games to play. None of it costs very much to do and it definately gives Mum ideas on how to entertain children on a shoe-string budget.

I have also bought Things to do with Dad as I could sometimes be working with boys and it has given me great ideas on how to entertain boys with things they like doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it!, 7 Mar. 2010
Mrs. F. L. Hamilton "Pilates beginner!" (Isle of Man, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things to do with Mum (Hardcover)
This is an excellent little book I sent my daughter in Canada to use for her 2 little ones and they've had a great deal of fun and pleasure from it. Have just ordered a second copy for one of her friends. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars How difficult can it be to play?, 10 May 2008
This review is from: Things to do with Mum (Hardcover)
The retro-girl's annual style gives us all a yearning for a by-gone family lifestyle that never happened. I glanced at the list of activities and my mother and I had never done a single one! Didn't find the family outing that involved driving to the pub, the kids being given a coke and packet of crisps each to eat in the car while parents got wellied inside and then drove home!

The underlying tone of a woman's role being confined to kitchen experiments and sewing things is a bit hard to swallow too. I haven't seen the Dad's book but I bet he does really cool things like shooting pheasents and taking stones out of horses hooves with a swiss army knife rather than making a bath puff for granny and crowing cress in an egg cup.

Yet the book certainly fulfils a need in our family. Aware that our family tend to enjoy our leisure time solo - one child on the computer, another watching TV, Dad watching the football, me on the lap-top - we decided to introduce a time together. It needn't be expensive, I said, and ten minutes is fine. But we could never think of anything. We'd sit there and say, "how about ...?"
"Nah! It's too ....... "

We have lost the art of talking and doing things with friends, family and relatives.

So this is an answer to a prayer. It includes around 60 activities from the ones like 20 questions you can do walking to school/in the car to start your own slime factory and even make your own miniture garden.

At this stage the kids are skeptical. They'd still rather play World of Warcraft or Call of Duty on the computer. I'll try to update this review to let you know how I get on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Things to do with mum, 11 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Things to do with Mum (Hardcover)
Interesting book with lots of quirky things that mums and offspring can do together.
Gives the kids something extra to do and have fun at the same time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 13 Aug. 2014
great

Things to do with Mum
Things to do with Mum by Alison Maloney (Hardcover - 11 Feb. 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01