Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 January 2002
I didn't know what to expect from this CD, apart from the sound of the didjeridoo:that was there, of course, plus plenty more. There are tracks of traditional music collected in the field, and then modern tracks produced in the recording studio. Whatever your interest in Australian music, there should be something on this CD for you, if you have an appetite for a wide spectrum of musical genres.
on 1 February 2009
I bought this CD for my daughter who's a A-level Dance student. With the idea that it would provide the soundtrack music for her Choreography exam. And for that, this CD wasn't the ideal purchase.

What we have here is a cross-section of Aboriginal music - encompasing a bit of everything. Which I guess is good, if you're hoping to experience the whole spectrum of the genre.

However, if you're looking for - let's say, a tourist's eye on this. A CD full of what we quintessentially think is Aboriginal music, then this CD probably isn't for you. The familiar, popular styles are here, but represent less than half the tracks.

So if you're thinking of purchasing this CD to provide the background music for your home video of OZ, I'd suggest look elsewhere. On the other hand - if you already know this scene well, then I'm sure you will appreciate the eclectic fine quality recordings found here.

Brett Johnson
on 21 January 2006
I was prepared to be open minded in my search for music to enhance the mood on our tour of Australia. I didn't particularly like this CD on first hearing but some of the more contemporary tracks grew on me and are quite catchy. I'm imagining the sun rising in Alice Springs to the almost haunting sound of Celebration, arriving at Uluru to the beat of Tjapukai Sunset or driving the Great Ocean Road to the on-my-way style track Kurongk Boy, Kurongk Girl. Add some Aussie Bush Band, Ralph McTell (Red Sky) and Sir Rolf and you will be on your way to a half decent compilation to reminisce over when you get back.
on 28 July 2015
Not impressed & we usually like this kind of music