4.0 out of 5 stars So funny... so true.
Published on 16 Sept. 2002 by MR M J LESNIAK

3.0 out of 5 stars Xenophobe's guide to the Poles
Not quite as side-splitting as the blurb suggests, but written with sympathy and depth of knowledge. Failed to alter my (highly positive) view of the Polish people.
Published on 6 Jan. 2011 by David J. Boggis

4.0 out of 5 stars So funny... so true., 16 Sept. 2002
My wife gave me this book after we had been to Poland on a combined holiday and wedding attendance. I was immensely amused by the accounts of the Polish way of life and how it differs from the English way. Unless you've been to Poland you can not understand how true this book is. My only reservation is that the book is too short. This book explained why I could not find a plug for the hand basin when we visited someone's home.

5.0 out of 5 stars An hiliarious but accurate depiction of the Poles, 10 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
For anyone wanted to learn more about Polish people and culture and want to do it on the plane to Warsaw then this is the book for them!!! It will help you understand all of the strange characteristics you will come across in Poland, while also providing useful practical information.
It made me giggle all the way through, cant wait to buy a copy for my Polish friend!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars an almost perfect picture of Poland and its inhabitants, 9 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Xenophobe's Guide to the Poles (Xenophobe's Guides) (Paperback)
I have already managed to read a few Xenophobe Guides. I like the series very much. Though one wouldn't know what the main attractions in each country are, one would get a general feeling that one is familiar with the country's psyche before one actually crosses the borders into that country. And all is absolutely true and done with a great and sophisticated sense of humor.

As a Pole, the book about the Poles interests me the most. Though I stand by all that I have already written above, I do have a couple of comments, particularly about the part that discusses culture. I guess that's the reason I couldn't award the full 5-star mark. The author very directly suggests that Polish music is very mediocre, a fact with which I cannot agree. I can't expect a reader who is unfamiliar with Polish music to be annoyed by that comment, but it certainly annoyed me. I do not refer to classical music - those who are into classical music will certainly know a thing or two about Polish music. The same might apply to jazz. But there's light music in Poland and it's quite often very good! I also do not understand why there was no reference to Polish cinema and why such world-famous names as Wajda, Kieslowski, Zanussi (and I could go on) were ignored.

When all is said and done, this is truly an enjoyable book and a true, almost perfect picture of what it means to be a Pole. Recommeneded, as indeed the whole series would be.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all Poles of all generations everywhere, 9 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
I first read this book on a coach travelling to Poland and really could not put it down. I laughed and laughed until I ached. I am sure people on the coach thought I was totally deranged.
What superb insight, what humour - but of course written by a Pole. As a first generation Pole it reminds me of my upbringing - I see my mother in every page. This is well worth a read and I am buying several to put in relation's Christmas stockings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Xenophobe's guide to the Poles, 6 Jan. 2011
David J. Boggis (Brittany, France) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and clever little book!, 29 April 2004
This book really did make me laugh out loud! As well as explaining detailsof Poland's history, culture and society, this book also manages to be avery entertaining little read. According to a Polish friend, itsobservations about Poles are very accurate (if written in atongue-in-cheek manner!) and we both thought it was a very funny book!
Entertaining, insightful and a lot of fun - you can while away anenjoyable couple of hours with this little gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never have I understood a culture better!, 11 May 1999
By A Customer
This book is soooo readable! The content is like an elongated brochure on an overview of Polish culture. The wit displayed is very funny, and I really believe that every nation should have an Ewa Lipniacka to help us all laugh at ourselves. The main points are covered well and hints given as to the strengths and weaknesses of the country.
Worth reading even if you are not going there, but just want a whistlestop armchair tour!

1.0 out of 5 stars This presents as and idiots guide to Poland. It ..., 8 Mar. 2015
This presents as and idiots guide to Poland. It starts of with the false meme that Poland has been repeatedly invaded by just about everyone in Europe. Anyone with even a modicum of Poland's thousand year history know this is absolute rubbish. As historian Norman Davies points out Poland has had no more or less invasions than most other countries in European, including the unsuccessful incursions during its centuries of Golden Age where it in partnership with Lithuania constituted the biggest state in Europe stretching from the Baltic to the Black Sea. If you know nothing about Poland then this is the last book you would read to find out about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Humorous, 10 Jan. 2011
I read the book with great interest, laughing loudly. As a proud Pole, I immediately recognise all our national faults and strenghts the author described. Not all things are quite up to date though. Still, absolutely enjoyable!
Unfortunately, delivery was so slow that I received the book long after I needed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of Fun, 5 Jun. 2012
It was my brother's 50th Birthday and I wanted to celebrate the fact that he is half Polish! So I purchased the book in the hope that he would find it interesting. He said that he found it most interesting and that he feels like I feel, that he, like I, does not always seem to look a things in quite the same way as the next person, and after reading the book I can see where we get our attitude and characteristics from! He found it a damn good read in the sense that it reminded him of himself!

The Xenophobe's Guide to the Poles (Xenophobe's Guides)
The Xenophobe's Guide to the Poles (Xenophobe's Guides) by Ewa Lipniacka (Paperback - 2 Feb. 2009)