4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent snapshot
Published on 29 Jun. 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars not as funny as it thinks it is
Its a small book easy to read. I have a few dutch friends and while some of the descriptions match them , they could match any person from any nationality really. I was buying it as a small present for a dutch friend. But in the end kept it , as i didnt think it was amusing enough as a jokey present for them. I think i would say really , go to the Netherlands and find...
Published 11 months ago by Mr D Jeynes

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent snapshot, 29 Jun. 2005
By A Customer
Didn't know what to expect of these little guides and was pleasantly surprised how good it was, as I've lived and worked in NL five years now and feel that I too know the place and the people a little. As far as I'm concerned the author has made a well-observed and accurate sketch of life here, amusingly written without patronising. Definitely a recommendation for anyone wanting a light, informative account of the Netherlands.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 7 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Xenophobe's Guide to the Dutch (Xenophobe's Guides) (Paperback)
I work in a company headquartered in Netherlands and thus have visited the country many times and have many Dutch co-workers and friends. It projects sympathetic yet objective picture with excellent observations and insights. It's a great book to understand the country and its people, but it is not meant to be a comprehensive resource for a potential expatriate. Finally, comment in a truly Dutch fashion- it's the cheapest guide I could find and therefore is an excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for anyone visiting/living in Holland, 14 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
In preparation to move to Holland I decided to get this book, it gave me a great overview of what the Dutch are like..... my friend who has been living in Holland for 2 years was crying with laughter: 'This is exactly what they are like!'. This is a good fun look at other nationalities. I am going to see what the author has to say about us!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dutch as seen by the Dutch, but presented for the English, 1 Mar. 2013
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This is a very brief and small book, liberally sprinkled with humorous asides, but it rings so true with my fond memories of the Dutch both at home and abroad. It is short enough that it could almost be read in transit from Heathrow to Schipol. There were several new idiosyncrasies (as the British might think) that I had not considered, but once revealed to me I could not help thinking "Of course, that explains it."

For many years I was a regular visitor to Amsterdam for work, and found the forthright and honest but canny business attitude of the locals very refreshing. Now I understand better why. I have the 2008 Edition, updated for the 2012 reprint. The book could be ten times the size and packed full, and one might still not fully comprehend them, but even so it is an excellent introduction.

I have an abiding memory of a delightful Dutch family we met in the South of France a few years ago: with their camper van carrying all their food and drink they spent almost nothing in France except for a few Motorway tolls and some car park tickets, and had fuelled to the brim in Luxembourg and again in Andorra. They introduced us to one of the many quirks the book failed to mention: their delight in "Sprinkles" (what the British call hundreds and thousands), and which seem to be added to almost everything they eat.

A Dutch friend recommended that I should read this after she had given up trying to explain to me, in the normal direct Dutch way, why the Dutch are how they are; able to talk (or debate) at length on almost every topic under the sun, and have what might seem to be a valid opinion on everything else, and yet be so understanding and tolerant of those of us who fail to be 'gezellig'. It helped.

4.0 out of 5 stars Going to the Netherlands ? U Brits get educated on our country!, 4 Jan. 2013
Has some useful insights to my country plus it makes some profound comments, this book is better than I expected
From reading other past comments it seems to have been updated . Great value so buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny!, 19 Aug. 2010
Have Dutch boyfriend and inlaws so thought this was worth a look - literally chuckled and belly laughed my way through it at the traits that I so recognised. Its a very affectionate and jovial look at Dutch quirks (and also a handy manual I think!), and when Dutch boyfriend got his hands on it, he couldn't put it down either. Will definitely be buying a copy for the inlaws for Christmas, and its made me very keen to have a look at the one about the Brits! Would highly recommend - money very well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in gold..., 12 Aug. 2009
I've worked with the Dutch for years and I'm really enjoying this read! Highly informative and humorous.

I haven't finished this (very concise!) little book yet, but have already invested in another one for a friend. Got my Dutch boss to have a little read of a few pages yesterday, and he was instantly laughing and nodding in agreement - he wants to borrow it soon as I'm done!

Well recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dutch Delight, 25 July 2013
The Xenophobes' series really are enjoyable. Although short, I thoroughly enjoyed this. Clever and witty as ever writing. If all that is said is true in this book, then the rest of the world as a lot to learn from the Dutch. How they organise their rock concerts is simple and genius. Ticketmaster should take note!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and insighful, 1 Feb. 2013
Want a concise overview of a country that makes you laugh - try these books they are brilliant, insightful, and a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPOT ON, 1 Feb. 2014
Absolutely wonderful tongue in cheek, Am dutch and do recognise his appraisal of us low-landers. Brilliant!! and very funny!! Recommend

The Xenophobe's Guide to the Dutch (Xenophobe's Guides)
The Xenophobe's Guide to the Dutch (Xenophobe's Guides) by Rodney Bolt (Paperback - 25 July 2008)