5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 3 Feb 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Most Unfavourable Ground
Just about every source I have read indicates that Niall Cherry's book is the definitive work on the Battle of Loos. Indeed the book is very highly reviewed on this website. Perhaps my expectations were too high; while I don't regret the purchase I have been left with a vague feeling that it could easily have been much better...

I wouldn't describe this as...
Published on 12 Jan 2012 by Blithering

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Feb 2006
By A Customer
As most books on the First World War seem to be written about the battles in the latter part of the war- namely the Somme, Arras and Passchendaele, it was most refreshing to read a book written about an almost forgotten battle namely that of Loos in 1915. Put quite simply this is the best book I have ever read about the offensive in 1915 when we used poison gas for the first time. Loads of detail and personal accounts with around 100 photographs and maps it is a wonderful and clear concise account of a battle which had been in my mind difficult to understand. After reading Warner's book on Loos I had trouble working out what had happened, but Most Unfavourable Ground certainly clears up any misunderstandings.
If you are looking for an excellent book on the Great War get this one. A five star effort and worth a score of 11 out of 10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Most Unfavourable Ground, 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: Most Unfavourable Ground: The Battle of Loos, 1915 (Paperback)

I wouldn't describe this as "light reading", it deserves full credit though as an exhaustive and thoroughly researched work on yet another ghastly, but largely unknown, Great War battle. Initially I found the incredible detail rather daunting; as I progressed Mr Cherry's writing style rather grew on me. He has a deft touch.

It could have been much better and easily worthy of 4/5 stars but for some rather silly and easily overcome faults. Firstly, it's badly let down by (apparently) poor proof-reading. Loss Tables frequently appear in the text, however they're incorrectly inserted which rather destroys the reader's flow. For example, Table 3.1 on p72 appears a paragraph ABOVE the line "The casualties......were as follows:". Acceptable perhaps once, but not for every table!

My other disappointment concerned the maps; apart from one murkily reproduced trench map (p191), these are very simple line-drawings and, in my opinion, detract greatly from the book's value. As an example of what can be achieved in a small book, "Loos - Hill 70" (Battleground Europe series) is infinitely superior in this regard. Frustrated by this, I also found some rather excellent maps on the web.

Most Unfavourable Ground: The Battle of Loos, 1915
Most Unfavourable Ground: The Battle of Loos, 1915 by Niall Cherry (Paperback - 15 Aug 2008)