5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny - if you like this kind of thing
I thought it was brilliantly funny and I finished it in no time. Which might be one of the disadvantages of this book - it's a bit too easy to read, and before you know it the 207 pages are at an end.

For anyone considering buying it, I'd suggest you read the first page of the 'Visit Machu Picchu' entry (it's free to view on Amazon - just click 'look inside')...
Published on 27 Oct 2012 by Jemma S

3.0 out of 5 stars Well I CAN be arsed - to write a good review!
Published on 6 Mar 2012 by Susan from Find The Real You

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-READ, 1 April 2009
This review is from: Can't Be Arsed (Hardcover)
Richard Wilson combines his Northern wit, humour, personal experience and knowledge in a book which shows impressive originality despite the dozens of "books with lists, things to do, not to do, places to see". Can only be appreciated by people intelligent enough to see that this is a tongue-in-cheek guide and not a list by some forceful dictator imposing rules on what to do and what to see on fellow mankind. A must-read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well I CAN be arsed - to write a good review!, 6 Mar 2012
Can't Be Arsed
Can't be Arsed asks `why do we put ourselves through the pain and so called excitement of bungy jumping (why indeed) and what drives us to go and see the Great Wall of China when we can sit in the comfort of our homes and watch other fools on the TV doing it?' These questions posed by author Richard Wilson are wittily answered in an entertaining but totally irreverant manual of all things weird and wonderful, currently gracing many an adventurer's `To Do List'. Richard Wilson is not the actor from One Foot in the Grave but author and current producer of `Have I got News for You' - he takes a sharp stick and pokes it into the eye of all self-help and personal development books who tell us why we should do what they recommend as well as when, where and how. He's got his tongue firmly in his cheek as he guides us through the 101 suggested places we must see or things we must do, films to see, books to read and music to listen to; and gives his candid point of view on why we just shouldn't bother.

His sharp caustic wit is comical in the extreme, painting a picture of the possible most bizarre scenarios that could happen in our quest for human fulfillment and questions why, when it comes to suggestions from life's `must do' fanatics do we put ourselves into situations which at worse could cause death or acute injury, and at best, threaten to engulf us in a blanket of terminal boredom and dullness? He inevitably asks: 'Why not sit in the comfort of your armchair and watch various fun seekers enjoying the questionably fulfilling experience of white water rafting?'

Can't be Arsed is the sort of book you can pick up, have a snigger at (or laugh out loud in my case), and put down again. Ideal lavatory material for some, for me this is the type of book that is worth holding on to as the humour is timeless thanks to the author's clever use of words combined with a relentlessly wicked sense of humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should bring to smile to anybody of a "certain age"., 6 July 2014
A perfect little read for any grumpy old man.... Women would enjoy it too, but not being one, I am making an assumption here. Beautifully observed showing the "must do" generation that perhaps it may be better just not to bother at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Can't Be Arsed (Hardcover)
Bought it as a 90th birthday present and fell around laughing as I glanced at it. Will have to buy another copy for myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and thought provoking, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Can't Be Arsed (Hardcover)
Bought as a gift which was well received and caused a lot of amusement in the family who were treated to snippets read out loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Can't Be Arsed (Hardcover)
really enjoy every page of this book and would recommend it to everyone to read, gunna pass on when read again

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a stocking stuffer!, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Can't Be Arsed (Hardcover)
As it is a stocking stuffer for my son, so I shall not read it. But I did like the title - it summed up so well my son's attitude to things.

mtb

4.0 out of 5 stars A very British antithesis to the ghastly 'must-do' books, 7 Oct 2013
Received a review copy of this, and found it to be one of those things that makes me glad to be British. Not for this author the revered 'must-do' bucket lists of places to go, things to do, which seem all too popular these days. Amusing, not laugh-out-loud perhaps, but enough to put a smile on your face. A great gift, stocking filler etc for those 'grumpy old men' (and women) in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still laughing, 5 Oct 2013
Red Hummingbird (Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can't Be Arsed (Hardcover)
Victor Meldrew srikes!! Richard Wilson has a hilarious take on all the 'things to do before you die'. It's great to check out the things you've done, or would like to do. Tell your friends about this book, it will have them in stitches.

3.0 out of 5 stars only just ok, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Can't Be Arsed (Hardcover)
I bought this book hoping for a good laugh but half the time i didnt find it very amusing some of the short stories were funny but some were quite boring usually i have a good sense of humour

Can't Be Arsed
Can't Be Arsed by Richard Wilson (Hardcover - 15 Sep 2008)