4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a look, 20 May 2009
S. S. Lane (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BoardFree: The Story of an Incredible Skateboard Journey across Australia (Paperback)
I've just re-read this book and I'd forgotten how good it is. Essentially it's a tale of how a crazy idea takes over Dave's life and becomes a massive charity fundraiser and all the trials and tribulations that go with that. It's an incredibly honest account and you can't help but get caught up in all the dramas and the excitement of the journey. But I guess what i love most is how inspiring the book is. Dave is just an ordinary guy who wants to do something that makes a difference and you can't help but be inspired by his dedication and commitment through thick and thin. I totally recommend this book to anyone - longboarder or not - and especially those of us who have always wanted to do something totally amazing for charity but have never quite had the drive or enthusiasm to just do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Boardfree by Dave Cornthwaite, 11 Feb 2013
A very honest account of one man's dedication and desire to exit the world of 9-5 and live his life free from the restraints of 'heavy stuff' all whilst raising awareness and money for worthwhile charities. The physical and mental battles he experiences, both with the road and his team are all recorded here with surprising honesty. A very worthwhile read that I recommend to anyone. I would have read it quicker had I not not been inspired to get outside, albeit on my bike instead! In the words of Dave himself, "Comfort kills ambition, don't let it take yours."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great inspirational read, 22 Jan 2013
Before reading this book i had no interest in skateboarding.... however i'm now looking into buying my very own longboard.
Dave Cornthwaite is a truly inspirational guy and this book really emphasises how anyone can break the mould and achieve the life they've always dreamt of. It has encouraged me to take risks, step out of the comfort zone and challenge myself.
As a reader, you will experience all the highs and lows throughout the Boardfree Expedition in a very real and honest way. I can only thank Dave for the effort he has put into this expedition and the awareness it has created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, Infuriating and Inspirational!, 11 Jun 2009
I received this book last year on my 54th birthday. It inspired me enough to invest in a new easy to push longboard and now spend time on it most days.
The book is almost impossible to put down; my copy is covered in tea stains and misshapen with bathwater. I even found myself reading it for a second time recently. A warning though...you will be infuriated by some of the happenings which Cornthwaite relates with candid openness and honesty. OK the book is mainly about the boardfree skating challenge but is also an account of relationships under huge stress.
If you want to be challenged, inspired and annoyed read this book, I promise you will be boredfree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 28 Aug 2008
Ms. Emily Green "Em Joyful" (London UK) - See all my reviews
Simply loved it!

Not being a particularly avid sports fan myself I was pleasantly suprised by this gem of a read. Don't be put off. Boardfree is not just about skating (although it is pretty impressive stuff)...

Infact this book focuses much more on Dave's personal journey of breaking away from convention and, against all odds, turning an ordinary life into something extraordinary! And whats more for the good of others. Couldn't wish for a better message.

An inspiring account written with both wit and intelligence. Something in it for everyone. Even my mum read it! I highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 3 April 2008
B. Spinage (Watford, UK) - See all my reviews
I loved this book and found it very hard to put it down! A very enjoyable read even though I have never been on a skateboard in my life. Made me laugh... and cry. Even though I don't think longboarding is for me reading it has made me think about challenging myself in some way-although probably not resulting in a world record-or as many blisters!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing journey - brilliant book, 28 Mar 2008
Rachael Hickman (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I don't often read non-fiction books, but this one was recommended to me by a friend who said it was brilliant, so I gave it a go and wasn't disappointed. The journey itself and the dedication by all involved is inspirational. The book conveys this without being patronising; it makes you feel exhausted even though you're not pushing, frustrated when things go wrong and exhilarated when they're going well. In places it makes you laugh out loud and although, by the end of it, you might not want to skateboard across Australia, this book will make you want to go on to do bigger and better things yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Living life to the full, 1 April 2014
This is a truly inspirational book about the journey Dave Cornthwaite and his skateboard Elsa took across the harsh landscape of Australia. Imagine skating 5823km from Perth to Brisbane in the heat and dust, whilst raising money for charity. Dave has gone on to do many other challenges, see his other books, all enduring, emotional and inspiring, a great book for any journey seeker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave was once like you before he decided to change his life for the better, 1 Sep 2013
Really enjoyed reading Dave's story about changing his life from a couch potato to a World Record Breaker as it helped me to see that epic adventures are within the reach of everyone and no matter how bad life gets you can change it for the better, all you need to do is start. Because Dave was once like the majority of people, just living to exist until he decided to make a change. So why not start your change today by buying this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The origins of an inspiring career, 28 Aug 2013
Not long ago I enjoyed Dave Cornthwaite's latest book, Life in the Slow Lane, about his solo journey from Memphis to Miami pedalling a 4-wheeled BikeCar. Jumping to the opposite end of the chronology to read BoardFree, his first book, provided a fascinating (and no less enjoyable) insight into the origins of Dave's career in human-powered adventure travel and the highs and lows of embarking on a long-term expedition with a team. Five years and many other journeys separate the two stories, and Dave's heart-on-sleeve writing style has evolved along the way, but the inspiring theme common to both rings loud and clear: do what you love, give it all you've got, and just about anything becomes possible.

BoardFree: The Story of an Incredible Skateboard Journey across Australia