5.0 out of 5 stars The Best 80s Book In The World............Ever!
Published on 19 Nov 2008 by Mick Lynch

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia
The book is more orientated to pop music of the era than looking back at the 80's. I would have expected it to have included other more domestic things, but nevertheless if you're into music its fine.
I suppose that the title should have given me an indication as to the content.
Published 13 months ago by KARL SHERIDAN

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best 80s Book In The World............Ever!, 19 Nov 2008
This review is from: Remember the 80s: Now That's What I Call Nostalgia (Hardcover)
As Children of the 80s, we all like to think we knew everything about this exciting decade that we lived through our teens, but do we really know everything? Why were compact discs 74 minutes in length? What were the second and third videos ever played on MTV? What does V.H.S. stand for? What's the difference between New Wave and New Romantic? And where did Simple Minds take their name from? If you don't know the answers to these, and I'm only scratching the surface here, then `Remember The 80s - Now That's What I Call Nostalgia' is a must for you.
The complete decade is dealt with and researched in great detail here. The opening page of each year is a snapshot of that year and there's more information here than I learnt in secondary school. Just from this page alone, you'd do so well in any pub quiz.
The great thing here is, it's not all music. While each year does include the no. 1 albums and singles in the UK for that year, there are also movies, interviews and memorabilia sprinkled amongst the text which adds great colour throughout.
So much of this book will bring you right back. Who Shot J.R? E.T., Falklands War, Trivial Pursuit, Commodore 64, Maggie Thatcher, Pacman, Fame, Betamax, The Simpsons, and the Berlin Wall. It's all here, and we haven't even touched on the music.
Band Aid, Kylie & Jason, The Tube, Ryan Paris, Acid House, Strawberry Switchblade, Live Aid, and Stock Aiken & Waterman are all included here. There's even an 80s icon singled out for each year including Adam Ant, Toyah Wilcox and A-ha to name but three, and there's exclusive interviews with the majority of these icons.
To give the book an objective point of views, there's genuine comments and memories from many of the readers of the authors website remember the eighties.com, which provides refreshing reading and allows those 80s fans comment on their favourite band, single, album or whatever.
Once you start reading, you'll be unable to put this book down because you just want to continue to be transported back to your favourite year, and with the foreword in the book written by the one and only Martin Fry, dare I say it, that this book is the definitive ABC of the eighties.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking nostalgia trip, 2 Jun 2009
Amazon Customer (Kettering, Northants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Taking the lead from Richard's website of the same name, this memoir/nostalgia-fest/almanac is really great fun. Each year is assigned a chapter, starting with a `snapshot' of events, followed by a comprehensive essay on the music released (covering most genres). There's then a smaller essay, about a key event, details of film and TV shows and number one singles and albums charts, with the chapter wrapping up on an interview with an icon from that particular year. Interspersed throughout are thoughts and comments from the website visitors and plenty of illustrations, a good amount of which focus on memorabilia (badges mainly), many of which brought a warm smile of recognition from me. Mr Evans is 2 years older than me, but a lot of his memories coincided with mine (Can-Can at the school disco - yes!) and reading this book was like taking a long, pleasurable walk with an old friend, chewing over past events. Well written, clearly laid-out and full of passion for the decade, this is a must-have for anyone who came of age in the 80s!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliant gift, 8 July 2009
I was given this as a gift and thought it was brilliant. As a child of the second half of the eighties I loved reminising about Terence Trent D'Arby and A-Ha!! But the book is much more than just a music book and covers a range of popular culture and historic events of the period - from Margaret Thatcher and the fall of the Berlin Wall to Baywatch, Dirty Dancing & the Brat Pack. Would definitely recommend it as a great read and a great gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember The 80's, 26 Mar 2010
What a great book, ideal birthday gift, great pictures and inforamtion from the 80's. Thick book and bigger than I thought, very pleased with it

5.0 out of 5 stars Browse for hours......, 27 Feb 2014
.....and remember all those crazy styles, great music and think.....I wonder what happened to those trousers, did I really wear that and....weren't Duran Duran awesome....etc. ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 24 Oct 2013
KARL SHERIDAN (East Riding of Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I suppose that the title should have given me an indication as to the content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 2 Sep 2013
Bought this as a birthday present for a friend. She loved it, said it bought back lots of memories for her.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good only for Britons, 14 Jan 2012
This book is fantastic for people who lived (or would like to know about the pop culture) in the UK.

But for people from the US or anywhere else, 50% of the book is filled with unknown artists and bands, while there's no single picture of a huge eighties icon, Cyndi Lauper!

Remember the 80s: Now That's What I Call Nostalgia
Remember the 80s: Now That's What I Call Nostalgia by Richard Evans (Hardcover - 29 Sep 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01