5.0 out of 5 stars I love you and can I have your duster?
I have a small library of house cleaning books . It is a fascinating subject and by no means are you committed to doing it simply by reading about it , in fact the amount you do is probably in inverse proportion to the number of books you own on the subject.
Published on 23 April 2009 by vera

3.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point for most men
Published on 5 Jun 2009 by D. Eves

5.0 out of 5 stars I love you and can I have your duster?, 23 April 2009
This review is from: How to Get Things Really Flat: A Man's Guide to Ironing, Dusting and Other Household Arts (Hardcover)
This book was head and shoulders over all my other Christmas presents, I couldn't put it down. Thank God I didn't start reading it until after we had eaten our Christmas dinner or that turkey would still have been raw on Boxing Day.
Thank you Andrew Martin, an entertaining and enlightening read with more info than all the rest put together. I think of the Hero Sock Mother every time I run my washing machine and the laundry detergent nexus is one which provides endless opportunity for reflection. Five stars do not do this literary tour de force anything like justice, I think I will probably bring it on holiday when I will have time to mull it over at leisure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny book, great tips, 11 Feb 2009
Sue Kichenside - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this book for my husband for Christmas as one of those jokey-type presents and it is, indeed, pretty funny. The author has a light touch and a delightful writing style. And surprisingly, it also contains lots of really useful household tips! Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point for most men, 5 Jun 2009
An informative book in that it explains some of the science of cleaning and points out that most women have a good, though not always well defined, understanding of why certain processes work. The only issue for me is that Andrew Martin fails to describe the one skill I desired to learn when buying the book. He doesn't explain how to fold a shirt flat which is ironic considering the title.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to get things really flat, 4 Jan 2009
This is a stupidly simple very funny read. Does its sentiments apply to you? I bet it does! I relate to almost everything he writes about - especially Hoovering, shopping, ironing etc. A super read.

5.0 out of 5 stars housework is a hobby, 14 Oct 2011
Mr. K. Green - See all my reviews
i found this book both entertaining and enlightening. i do my housework with a sense of achievement. i bought a steam radiator iron as a result of this book and haven't looked back. i bought this book for a friend,who lives in france and also bought the same kind of iron. so now when i visit her,i not only have the pleasure of being in france, i can iron to a standard which gives me much pleasure as well.
what bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 29 Jan 2009
K. Hamilton (worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
This has got my housework allergic husband to voluntarily get the vacuum cleaner out and hoover the house! Something that has never happened before without a great deal of nagging. He even wiped down all the kitchen cupboards while telling me what a slob I was for not doing it sooner. The book is very funny but has a lot of practical tips for the housework naive male. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just read the good bits, 20 Dec 2009
Andrew Walker "Andrew Walker" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Radio 4's `Book of the Week' is a good place to dip into books before you buy and certainly sold this book to me. The subtitle is "A Man's Guide to Ironing, Dusting and Other Household Arts", and that's pretty accurate as a description of the contents except that women will (I suspect) find it as useful as men.
Another Amazon reviewer comments it wasn't as funny to read as on the radio and the extracts were certainly selected but the real reason is that there are two types of material in here. The first, very interesting, type is where the author actually gives advice - my favourite was the chapter where he tested various theories about cleaning methods, like salt being the best way to handle a red wine stain. (He says it isn't.) The second type of material is some fairly dull personal and family anecdotes around the subject of housework - the book would be none the poorer without these.
Several (female) reviewers have written that they bought the book for their husbands, who haven't read it. If all I had read were the anecdotes I'd have given up as well! My suggestion would be to read some of the practical stuff out loud to them - men love this stuff, it gives them material to show off with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly infrmative, 6 Dec 2009
I bought this for my partner and he hasn't read it. But I have and it actually contained some really useful tips and was quite amusing too.

3.0 out of 5 stars A few handy tips, 18 Dec 2009
bought this as a stocking filler for my husband - though I think we need a guide on how to get a husband to read it! I read it and did pick up a few tips because as we know - when it comes to housework, women do it all quickly and men do a little bit but do it properly. Anyway now know the correct order for ironing shirts so hubby is mildly pleased and is using the book as a coaster. Cant say i will be returning to it as a reference book and may will get to recycle it as a gift for some other poor soul.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for the independent man, 19 Mar 2009
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A must read for the independent man .

I heard extracts form this book on BBC Radio 4 as it was the book of the week. Having a go at men for being useless at any area of endeavour particularly household chores is the last area of discrimination which is still acceptable.

It is supposed to be funny if a man does not know how to put the washing machine on or doesn't iron or run the vacuum round. Housework has traditionally be the expertise of women but I find like dieting and exercising it is the subject of a lot of controversy and contrary advice amongst those who supposedly know.

The hilarity of this book is based on the fact that men are not supposed to be any good at housework or even interested in it. This is a bit of an old fashioned view as most young blokes have been to university so at some stage have had to look after themselves.They are a more self sufficient generation than most. In the past men left home either to join the army or get married without any gap in between. In the army they were looked after and told what to do and in marriage they were looked after and told what to do.

I remember when my son was at university that his friends would clear the house up before their parents came as it was awash with pizza boxes and old beer cans. He didn't bother as he knew we would not be taken in by such tricks.

My mother trained my brothers and myself in the basics of household chores so we are not completely useless. In fact with modern inventions it is easier than ever. I do all the ironing in my house and I find it is a good way to catch up on films I have recorded, listening to the radio and exercising. I also run the vacuum around from time to time and one of my jobs is the get down on my hands and knees and clean the kitchen floor when we have visitors.

I liked the way he has approached the subject like any man and has researched t and asked questions. we are bombarded by adverts which tell us how to get rid of limescale and get the glass ware sparkling but we did no know if any of this is true.

Women have very tough views on dirt and I agree with them . In the chapter on dust he says his wife checks the hotel on holiday and if there is any dust they are no going to enjoy the holiday .

she reckons if the hotel is properly cleaned therefor it is not properly run the staff will be mentally inadequate and of course sh is usually right.

I am the same with people who cannot change toilet rolls. If they cant do a simple tasks like that else cant they do. some people think it is mildly endearing to always run out of milk bread toilet rolls but I just think it shows they general slovenliness.

He moves on to controversial subjects like Christmas and cards, he way quite rightly nobody gives a toss if you do not send them a Christmas card because they receive so many they wont remember.

I have an agreement that if I load the dishwasher then I am not to be about if it gets reloaded. Women should be clever enough not to go behind their partners back and do it again.Or if they do they should not let them see,

If their partner has got it wrong then it is their fault for not teaching them in the first place. Women also have a tendency to keep changing the rules so it is impossible to know what the correct method is.

He is a brave man to tackle such a controversial subject. Women claim they want men to be good at these things but if we were good at them they might become redundant. Women know really that men can survive so make out it is more difficult then it really is.

In the army cadet force we used to teach the cadets how to iron their uniforms. We further told them that it should be their responsibility not their mother's. The good ones used to come in superbly ironed uniforms each week.

I now hear a lot of women boast Oh I don't do ironing any more. This seems to be as a result of non iron shirts but you can tell the difference. A well ironed shirt and proper crease in your trousers helps you exude confidence.

A must read for the independent man. Men do however let the side down by claiming that certain areas of household chores are not for them. You should have at least a working knowledge of how to do it so that you can be smug on the day she leaves because of your supposedly annoying habits.

Used & New from: 0.01