5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favourite books, 3 Sept. 2008
I read this book over 20 years ago, and have now bought a new copy. It is like meeting an old friend and getting straight down to lots of reminiscing, too much wine and uproarious laughter.

Dervla Murphy is an opinionated and caustic writer, but her writing is always accurate and very moving.

I thought her journey with her daughter was remarkable before I had my own children - now I read this with new eyes and with much greater appreciation of how remarkable she, and her daughter must be.

I'm not sure I would warm to Dervla if I ever met her, but this book is a must for anyone who is sick of bland, politically-correct travel writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing trek... an amazing lady, 28 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Where the Indus is Young: A Winter in Baltistan (Paperback)
Dervla's treks are always 'mind boggling' and this one is no exception. To take her young daughter with her is either a sign of madness or inspired genius... I believe it's the latter; what a wonderful and unique experience for her daughter.

Dervla is truly inspirational with an envious gift for describing people and scenery; equally her knowledge and interest in local politics and religion always make for a fascinating read, and this book lives up to all those expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars gift, 23 Jan. 2012
this was purchased as a gift for my mother and has been brilliantly received, another good book in a thoroughly entertaining and interesting series

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, 17 April 2014
Nico (Australia) - See all my reviews
Having finished this book I wasn't sure who was the more stoic traveller Dervla Murphy or her 6 year old daughter Rachel? This is a fantastic book about an incredible journey taken through the epic Mountains and gorges of remote Baltistan. The Murphy's travel as only they can and that is as Spartan as possible throughout this most remote and rugged region. Murphy describes the mountains and gorges with wonder and passion. Anyone who enjoys high quality travel writing will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind boggling adventures in a remote area, 5 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
This inspiring book left me breathless, especially when I travelled there and saw the conditions. To take a six year old child and survive filled me with admiration. She is a remarkable woman, who'se written a wonderful book

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent opinionated travel story, 18 May 2009
Michael E. Brookfield (canada) - See all my reviews
This is a great, now classic, travel story, that I love to re-read, regardless that taking a small child into such conditions is the height of irresponsiblity. I first went to Baltistan the year after the book was published (1978) and it was fantastic to read the story while there (even though I was there in summer). I have been returning periodically over the last 30 years to do geological field work, and if you want to meet lovely friendly people to whom the tradition of Muslim hospitality is still alive go yourself and stay with the villagers (not in hotels). Baltistan is still, I think, far enough from the Taliban areas to be safe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where the Indus is young, 25 Mar. 2013
Bought for my son who is quite a traveller, he really enjoyed it and felt he was with the author in these wonderful places

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book but Dervla is an unfit mother!!, 29 Nov. 2008
I don't need to add anything here that the other reviewers haven't written, about the brilliant writing, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. However as a mother I have to question the totally irresponsible behaviour of taking a 6 year old child on a winter trip like this. Several times they nearly lost their lives on the steep icy mountains, plus she often leaves her daughter alone for hours alone or in the company of total strangers in the middle of nowhere (in one case she returns to find Rachel has been playing with a razor blade and was bleeding profusely). However, I gather Rachel has survived and is now a grown woman - by sheer luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Dec. 2014
She is an amazing and intrepid woman... most enjoyable

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Jan. 2015
great read

Where the Indus is Young: A Winter in Baltistan
Where the Indus is Young: A Winter in Baltistan by Dervla Murphy (Paperback - 15 Oct. 2011)