5.0 out of 5 stars A lucky find!, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Fields Beneath: The History of One London Village (Paperback)
I came across this book by chance after buying a very good pictorial book on a local London area. I had expected another quick read full of pictures...instead I received a book of 254 pages full of text and with very few pictures! I confess that I was initially disappointed but this feeling soon turned to curiosity, fascination, amazement and then delight!

This book is a joy - Gillian Tindall manages to convey what could be a dry, scholarly subject into a living journey though history told simply and with passion. The world that she so evocatively paints is a wonder. This is not a book to be consumed at one sitting but rather one to dip into and lingered over - I take it on walks around the areas she mentions.

Since reading this book I have begun to look at not only my local area but the whole of London with fresh eyes - the origins of road and place names become obvious, the boundaries of long forgotten fields magically appear as do the now obvious meanderings of hidden streams and rivers...they are all around us and the signs are there for those who know how to see! Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I've found my favourite historian..., 20 Aug. 2011
I am a total history geek, with a particular fondness for place history. Having read two of Tindall's works, I believe she does this like no other. As an undergraduate historian, I intend to one day write a place history very much inspired by Tindall's style. This book is an absorbing, thought provoking, feast of information. I couldn't recommend it more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly reccommended informatve and easily readable., 22 Nov. 2014
I read this when it first came out when I lived in the Royal College Street in a G.L.C. flat with a weekly rent of £3.Thoroughly enjoyed it then and am now looking forward to re-reading this book which is every bit as good as the previous reviewers describe.A complimentary photographic record is"Hampstead and Highgate Tramways" by Dave Jones which includes early photographs of Kentish Town.Christina M. Gee and Marrianne Colloms have produced books of adjacent areas that are also worth owning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 13 Jan. 2015
present

The Fields Beneath: The History of One London Village
The Fields Beneath: The History of One London Village by Gillian Tindall (Paperback - 28 Mar. 2011)