on 24 June 2008
Bought this with Kaffe Fassett's other new patchwork book, Kaleidoscope of Quilts - this one is just as beautiful and inspiring. He is a master at blending different patterns and colours and managing to balance them just right, so they are warm and glorious and somehow NOT clashing! These ones are photographed in Portugal and pick up on the fabulous colours of the houses, the ceramics etc - every design really is like a little slice of sunny southern light for your house. Again good clear instructions for each one, and as you machine them (unlike my mother handsewing her patchwork) it does make it feel achievable. I can see I'm going to be busy ....
on 25 March 2009
I look through this book all the time, and see new movements in the patterns and depth to the designs. It is my second favourite Kaffe book after Passionate Patchwork. I have almost finished my own version of 'Chelsea quilt' but in different colours, and the instructions are really easy to follow, even though it involved a few technqies I've not used before. There are some really effective but simple quilts, that would be easy to knock up (such as the one the cover). There are also a couple of tricky ones, which are helpfully pointed out, that I am aiming to work towards. There is such a range of colour use, that if you love contemporary style quilts I'm sure you'll love this book. The down point of the book is that although there are 20 quilt designs, some of them are doubled up so there are 2 Jane's diamonds quilts (really the same quilt in 2 colour ways, I love both the colour ways but still felt cheated) The other down point is that I can't imagine making any of these quilts with fabric other than that designed by Kaffe Fassett (so no scrap quilts here). In earlier books such as Passionate Patchwork, he does have designs that need not use his fabric. However, I love his fabric designs and so this doesn't bother me much (I don't think there are many other fabrics that use such saturaion of colour)
on 1 November 2009
This is an excellent book for the beginner to experienced quilter, makes a great coffee table book also.

Clear instructions, fabulous colours!