5.0 out of 5 stars Book of the year perhaps?
I was lucky enough to be successful on an e-bay bid on a limited edition print of this book. It arrived on Christmas Eve and early on Christmas morning I finished the most incredible book I have ever read. What makes the book all the more fascinating is that its all true. I truly hope this book written by a 90 year old ex POW gets the publicity it deserves and Horace...
Published on 1 Jan 2009 by tomtom

1.0 out of 5 stars Probably Jeremy Clarkson's favourite bedtime story
What could have been an interesting and moving account of a soldier's somewhat unusual experience of captivity is ruined by the appalling writing. Do we really need to know how big the protagonist's erection is? Or how powerful his ejaculations were? Or how he galvanised the spirits of those around him or how he almost won the Second World War single-handed? And as for...
Published 8 months ago by Mr TT Fair

‹ Previous | 130 31 3236 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars very moving, 11 Nov 2013
Read this book and wished I could have spoken to Horace..what a story. I could not put it down until I finished it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do birds still sing, 10 Nov 2013
Enjoyed the book. Hard to believe how much these men went through. Truly remarkable man and woman going through so much to help others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing!, 6 Nov 2013
At around 4 or whatever it was to buy, this is pound for pound the most heart wrenching and harrowing books I have read in years. Bought and finished in a day I could not put it down. I found myself flash reading to see who had survived the savagery of their tortures. Although they say a movie is nowhere near as good as a book and those people would be right, I would like to see this on a big screen only if to get worldwide acknowledgment for Horace and his brothers. God bless you all.

4.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing and unique book.Highly recommended., 1 Nov 2013
This is an astonishing story; occasionally I wondered if I were reading fiction but although some incidents may have been exaggerated possibly(and I have no way of knowing) I came to the conclusion that it was probably substantially true.

If it had been fiction then there would have been a different ending I think.

This is undoubtedly the best book I have read on my Kindle. .

4.0 out of 5 stars Re what I have heard, 5 Sep 2013
I can give a true response to this question , up to now not finished this book, however when I have I will write one .

5.0 out of 5 stars A story of courage, honour and audacity, 19 Jun 2012
Mauren Elizabeth Moss (spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do The Birds Still Sing In Hell? (Paperback)
When I was asked to edit this story I was prepared for hours of concentration and painstaking hard work. But the job was easy thanks to ghost writer Ken Scott's compelling writing style and Horace's superb memory for places and people. As I worked I both cried and laughed out loud.

Young Horace was called up in the very early days of WW2. He endured needless capture, a horrific death march and train journey to Silesia, where he spent the next five years in appalling, brutal conditions in POW camps. In Camp Two he met and fell in love with Rosa, the daughter of the camp owner. What started as a `two fingers up to Jerry' sexual encounter turned into enduring love affair. Rosa developed into a true life heroine, risking her life on many occasions to bring news and equipment to her brave, indomitable lover.

An editor's job involves re-reading the story many times, yet the magic never wore off for me. Horace, his love and his courage will be with me forever, an inspiration and reminder that through the worst of times, honour, courage and downright audacity have equal roles to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: Do The Birds Still Sing In Hell? (Paperback)
This book is absolutely brilliant, I read it in two days. I know there are many books published about POWs but this story is really very different. What a shame a documentary wasn't made about Horace before he died.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommened, 17 Aug 2014
Fantastic read, could put the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 24 July 2014
Great read, well worth the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 10 Aug 2014
Really enjoyed this book

‹ Previous | 130 31 3236 | Next ›

Do The Birds Still Sing In Hell?
Do The Birds Still Sing In Hell? by Ken Scott (Paperback - 25 Dec 2008)
8.74
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available