4.0 out of 5 stars A Timely Anti Hero, 17 May 2008
Justine (Devon England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casting Two Shadows (Paperback)
This is another scoop for Libros International one of the very few publishers these days who are genuinely interested in new or aspiring writers. Behind 'Casting Two Shadows', lies a real tragedy. A few weeks before his debut novel was published the author Colin only 31 years old died leaving behind a wife and young son. My attention was drawn to the book by the manner in which Libros got behind a marketing drive to ensure financial support for his family.It's good to learn there is till soul left in the publishing business!!!!
I started off hating the drunken,irresponsible Wilson Hallows anti hero
of this novel but as the plot progressed I began to symnpathise with him
mistakenly believing he was a classic case of the hero as victim oppressed by an unrelenting deterministic fate. In a totally surprising
plot point this view was blown away and my naive opinions were shown to be wildly mistaken.I was compelled to read further (despite the fact that I'm not a big fan of thrillers) to discover how Wilson with compassion and courage manages to deal with his fate.
Rodriguez the cop who is assigned to the murder around which the plot pivots is straight out of Raymond Carver, a character with a tired slightly cynical intelligence doing his job in a puzzling world spinning out of his control.The villain is a stock nasty but by this time I was not too concerned with him I just wanted to find out how Wilson Hallows was going to emerge from all the chaos and darkness with apparent enemies wherever he turned!But nothing is quite what it seems in this story.
This is a thriller that will have you turning pages late into the night or missing trains and planes!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Crying Shame, 16 April 2008
This review is from: Casting Two Shadows (Paperback)
I was kindly sent the galley proofs for Colin Doran's debut novel by my publisher Libros International in early February 08. The book was just about ready to go. The idea is that a published recognised author blurbs the book with something complimentary that catches the eye of the book buying public when it's on the shelf.

I took the book to bed on a Saturday night after a nice half bottle of Rioja and amazed myself at still being wide awake furiously turning each page until around five the next morning. I caught up on a few hours sleep and managed to finish the book late on Sunday evening. Casting Two Shadows is what I call a 24 hour read, that rare occurrence when a book must be read in preference to anything else, including any work or chores, writing, reviewing, eating, football and dare I say even a little cuddle with Mrs Scott.

Doran's characters are wonderfully woven into a well crafted book that can't really be pushed into any particular genre. He tantalises the reader at every turn, especially the reader that likes to figure out the final twist of the book. (You won't!) The character Wilson Hallow, a beer swilling drunken man's man, an alcoholic, is quite a superb literary creation and the book moves forward at such a pace it makes you want to finish it quickly and yet savour every written word.

Sadly Colin Doran died suddenly on Wednesday February 15th aged 31, just a few weeks before his book was due to be published. I have the deepest regret that I wasn't able to discuss Colin's front cover blurb with him and tell him what a wonderful book he had penned. I am so saddened at the early demise of a very talented young author but my biggest frustration is that I will not be able to read another novel by Colin Doran.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cracking Sci-fi Thriller, 6 May 2008
David Barry (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casting Two Shadows (Paperback)
Wilson Hallow, the protagonist of Casting Two Shadows is an alcoholic, who meets a stranger in a bar. Pretty soon, Hallow is involved in murder and his booze-soaked brain is hazy about the details; and then to complicate matters his boozing buddy has vanished into thin air. This is a fast-paced thriller, an easy read which keeps the reader turning over the pages and wanting to read more. The thriller element escalates into a Back to the Future world that is dark and dangerous, hurtling the redemption seeking Hallow into crisis after crisis, and a stunning climax with a real sting in the tail.
If you like unusual, highly original thrillers with a paranormal element, you'll love this book.
David Barry, author of Willie the Actor

5.0 out of 5 stars What a sad loss, 19 April 2008
Brenda says;
I give my wholehearted recommendation to this excellent debut novel. What a sad situation that this will be his only work.
I wish the family well.
Trevor said;
Colins Book , casting two shadows was recommended to me by Scotty, an author in the same stable as I. It was a damned good read and I was grateful for his recommendatition. When I discovered that Colin had passed befor having held the book in his hands as an author myself I felt saddened. Now to know his book is available to everyone via Amazon is a delight. What a legacy you have left your kin Colin. Congratulations its a fabulous read.
Trevor Dalton author of Possession Legacy and Open Tap

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Read, 12 May 2008
This review is from: Casting Two Shadows (Paperback)
Colin Doran's writing is authoritative and fluid. He writes like a seasoned author and it is difficult to believe that "Casting Two Shadows" is his debut novel. When I read it, I was swept along, totally wrapped up in the story and the characters, right to the unexpected ending and twists in the 'tale'. I don't normally read murder mysteries but I was trapped inside this one until the Epilogue. "Casting Two Shadows" is great read that I would recommend to anyone. It is a credit to Colin's considerable talent as an author.
By William Daysh, author "Over By Christmas"

5.0 out of 5 stars Casting Two Shadows, 18 April 2008
Mrs. Susan M. Chatfield (Costa Blanca Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casting Two Shadows (Paperback)
A book very much worth reading. I couldn't put it down and can't recommend it more highly

Casting Two Shadows
Casting Two Shadows by Colin Doran (Paperback - 25 Feb. 2008)
Used & New from: £328.67