Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 April 2014
Really good book this, insightful and thought provoking writing style. Unfortunately whoever proof read this book was perhaps watching telly at the same time, or couldn't work the page design software. Either that or they sent the wrong version to the printer. Mostly missing captions and incorrect illustration/page references, so not too bad. But irritating nevertheless. Rather interrupts the flow of understanding. I bet the author was none too pleased when he saw it - especially as it's a revised edition! Also unfortunately, the body copy font is practically unreadable as it probably isn't a copy font at all - the letter spacing is extremely squashed (maybe there weren't enough pages so they squashed the copy to fit it in?). It's the only book I've ever read where I've had to wear reading glasses! Books, like houses, also need a designer.

However, most of what's in it is fine and if you can see your way past these frustrating obstacles, it's full of balanced arguments and lots of very useful information. I'd love to build a house like this, it's the near future of housebuilding I've no doubt. Anyone who's in any way responsible for the building of anything should be forced to read this and act upon its wisdom. Makes you wonder why it's taken so long for previous generations not to work out how to build a house. I'd give this book 5 stars if it was put together properly. Maybe the next edition will be - please use another typeface though, and another designer - assuming you used one in the first place!
on 30 June 2013
Having met Tim at the Scottish Homebuilding & Renovation Show in Glasgow I was keen to read this book and it didn't disappoint. Lots of information and quality advice means I'll regularly be reopening the pages during our forthcoming renovation project.
on 3 August 2013
A good book with useful information but this is not surprising as I had already heard the Tim Pullen speaking on the subject.
on 13 September 2013
I started this book with very little knowledge of sustainable building. I now feel I can talk to my builder with confidence about sustainable building and have a useful conversation which is constructive for both of us. I recommend this book without reservation.
on 29 November 2013
This book has not been completed and has certainly not been checked. A number of captions literally have "Caption here please". What is going on?

Do not buy!
on 25 February 2015
This book is not worth the time and money. It isn't a bible, more rudimentric at best and the layout is flawed.
on 15 May 2016
Not helpful and many defects in printing, a small area of words missing in every other pages, at least the one I got.
The pictures shows the condition of first few pages, totally unreadable for anyone with this quality issues!
review image review image review image
on 20 January 2015
Quite detailed book with lots of useful calculations and tips on all aspects of sustainable building!
on 16 April 2015
I think that I needed a "Sharia" rather than a bible, but it got me started on the subject.
on 20 November 2014
Gives a good insight into the idea of adding sustainability to either a new build or renovation.