4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent finance guide - not just for the kids
The Pocket Money Plan is a great book on how to get your finances in order. Even though it's aimed primarily at helping children of all ages to understand the value of money through the pocket money they receive, it serves a wider purpose as a general primer in sound financial management.

Easy to read and work through, I used the ideas in this book with my...
Published on 27 Nov 2009 by Jl Adcock

3.0 out of 5 stars Kiddy Money
Contains some pretty obvious advice about how to look after your money. It can be quite complicated for those who don't understand the ins and outs of money and technical terms (although it does contain a "jargon juggler" chapter if you feel like studying!).
Published on 29 Jan 2010 by Tazz Rainbow

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent finance guide - not just for the kids, 27 Nov 2009
Jl Adcock "John Adcock" (Ashtead UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Pocket Money Plan: A Practical Guide to Teaching Children about Money: Three Easy Steps to Help Children Learn About Money (Paperback)

Easy to read and work through, I used the ideas in this book with my daughter, and it really made us both think about the concept of money, the value of it, and how we use it. There are some excellent suggestions contained in the book on how to reward children in money terms for behaviours and activities done around the home, and the idea of breaking pocket money down into 3 categories: 1) give away, 2) save, 3) spend, it also food for thought.

Perhaps best of all, I like the message that this book gives about money. Other things are important in life beyond money - cash should after all be an enabler of other worthwhile activities, so starting young in this way is a good approach. With children coming under increasing pressure to have more and more stuff, and own it without really thinking through the consequences of rash expenditure, there's never been a better time to teach good financial skills to our young people - and this book proves that it doesn't have to be boring or preachy stuff.

With the country reeling under the weight of debt, and with the economy in a time of turmoil, it's a shame that more adults - and especially those working in the finance sector - weren't primed on some of the themes in this book. If they had, it's possible we wouldn't be quite in the mess we are now. Julie Hedge has produced a timely and thoroughly worthwhile and accessible book here that should be required reading in the school curriculum. Recommended unreservedly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for adults and kids to read, 25 Feb 2010
Fiona Millar "cookiemum" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I started to read this book, and thought it made a lot of sense in its advice to help children be responsible with money. I'd read about a third of the book before my eldest became curious and picked it up to read for herself. Within a couple of days she'd read it cover to cover, and then started saving in a way she never had before! She's always been the kind of child who had to spend her money as soon as she got it, on plastic toys and girly magazines and nonsense. After reading this, she decided to save up for a hamster, and over the next few months she did exactly that, spending sensibly and saving the vast majority of her money. She now has a cute fat hamster, a very snazzy cage for it, and a much better approach to looking after money!

4.0 out of 5 stars Important lessons in a palatable form, 17 July 2010
Ray Blake (Hemel Hempstead, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fairly straightforward read for adults and older kids. The subject matter is topical and there are few parents who won't pick up valuable tips for dealing with their own finances. What is particularly useful is that in places the advice is differntiated for different age groups, so this genuinely does address the needs of all from 5 to 15.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit tabloid but some sound advice ..., 19 Feb 2010
Dr. D. E. Goldwater "dodiceleedoo" (Bushey, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good book - not great. It is mainly common sense but I have to say I really liked a few things it had to say.

It is easy to read and well presented with a pleasing font which is in a slightly patronising style.

I particularly liked the advice regarding giving of charity as not just for the benefit of others but for the benefit of the child's future financial planning. Good advice about when to start pocket money etc.

I did not read the whole book because I think I would find it difficult to read it all in one sitting. I think it would be too much but I intend to keep dipping in as I have.

I think it will help me teach my 4 and 6 year olds the value and pitfalls of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Book!!, 1 Feb 2010
Paul (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you consider it, many children go through school education onto to leave not understanding what terms like 'APR', 'AER', 'Loan-To-Value', 'Endowment', 'Pension Tax Relief' etc mean.

I know I did - and that's because they simply didn't teach it. When I left school, I had no idea how a credit card works, what type of bank account I would require to allow me to make withdrawals at an ATM or how I would go about depositing my wages.

I'm not sure that things have progressed that much since I left school, to be honest. Kids still don't understand these things now - and although the government has made some effort in adding elements of Personal Finance to the school agenda, it's pretty minimal and certainly doesn't cover everything.

That's where this book comes in - there are some wonderful inclusions - such as the cost of delaying payments into a pension (i.e. the difference between commencing payments for a child's pension at birth compared to later in life - the sums are quite staggering too!).

To be honest, If my parents had owned a book like this, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have made some of the (sometimes costly) mistakes I've made over the years. If you want a good head-start for your kids (and I'm pretty sure you do otherwise you wouldn't be reading this!), then you can do no worse than buy this book. Of course there are internet sites which cover the subject matter in possibly much more detail, but the nice thing about this book is that you can read each chapter in whatever order you like and explain things to your own child in a manner which hopefully makes sense than him/her simply putting you on the spot and asking a question like "Should I open a savings account with X? Grandad mentioned something called a Unit Trust???".

I believe that the earlier Children are taught about finance, the better. And that doesn't simply mean giving them pocket money so that they can blow it all on sweets or games - but teaching them the beauty of compound interest, how a savings account or pension can grow so much larger if they start earlier and how much they need to put away each week/month if they have a savings goal in mind.

A great little book, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know to teach your child about money. A skill for life!!, 18 Dec 2009
OrganicGreen "Knowledge is King and books a g... (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
You must teach your child about money. It is vitally important. With good sense of money and how to manage it your child can effectively double or even more the potential value of the wage that they earn.

It covers all the skills about dealing with your child's money that many adults still struggle to learn and implement in their life.

Pocket Money - why to give pocket money instead of free stuff for your child, linking pocket money with earning, saving first then spend what is left, investments & loans.

I am very good at managing my money but goes this book to give me good ideas of translating adult money concepts to my 6 year old to learn. This book is good if you don't have good money skills as an adult and you can learn them along with your child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deciding to buy this book go ahead and buy it's worth it, 24 Sep 2011
I bought this book by the off chance,decided to buy it and to find out more. It's the best choice I have made. I don't give pocket money to my children I save it for them. I've decided to follow the points in this book for them, so that they are confident to use money for themselves. End of the day I don't want to reach an age where they are still asking me for money. Mum and Dad BANK :) The book is easy to read informs the reader; is easy to follow. Worth every penny especially for my children. Thank-you Julie Hedge for writing thisThe Pocket Money Plan: A Practical Guide to Teaching Children about Money: Three Easy Steps to Help Children Learn About Money book a down to earth book for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy guide, 24 Jun 2011
L. Marshall - See all my reviews
This book has been great to help us sort out the pocket money dilemma that we had with our children (8yrs & 6yrs). We weren't sure whether we should give them any, if so how much etc etc. This book is a handy guide and has helped us to sort out the problem properly. A lot of the advice is just plain ol' common sense but nonetheless it's useful to have it to refer to and I've now passed it to my son (8yrs) for him to read in the hope that he can start to understand how to manage his money better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 6 Feb 2011
I don't exactly have the best track record, either in my own financial management (I do OK...) or in having a consistent approach to pocket money. My teenager believes that the mere expression of desire for something should result in Mum ponying up the wonga, so I was determined to do a better job of instilling a sense of the value of money in my 4-year-old.

This book is exactly what I needed. Yes, much of it really is just common sense, but it is so helpful to have it mapped out a bit. Teaching your kids about money can seem a little overwhelming (well, it did to me) and The Pocket Money Plan gives you a simple approach and answers the little questions that come up as you read. BUT, and this was important for me, there is a lot of flexibility in terms of you deciding as a parent what works best for your kids and your family. It isn't a 'follow the steps exactly or it all breaks down' plan.

I so wish I had had this book when my teenager was small. Heck, I wish my parents had had it when I was small! My little boy and I are establishing our give/save/spend moneyboxes today (yep, that's right, BOTH of us together!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for a wide age range, 27 Jan 2011
Nathan (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although the book is targetted to parents teaching their kids, it also has relevance for everybody as some reviewers have also mentioned. I found it one of those books where most of the information was obvious but only after I had read it. The sections are well structured and split into:
1: The pocket money plan
6: Investment servicers
7: Spending
8: Learning about loans
9: Jargon Juggler

There are many useful bits of information in the book and you'll most likely find yourself dipping into it rather than reading from cover to cover. My children are too young at the moment but I was worried they wouldn't recognise the use of savings and I was worried about the whole pocket money thing, how much, how often, when to give it. Although the book can't completely get rid of the worries, I do feel far more relaxed and have the knowledge to plan a structure for when the time comes.

For any parent that has concerns with their child's ability to using money, then buy this.