4.0 out of 5 stars Useful overview and guide
Published 21 months ago by Dr J M Price

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my idea of downshifting
Disappointing. The author's idea of downshifting is to move to a 14-acre farm and live an artificial Country Living style idyll.
No practical advice about how to achieve this darling lifestyle, just some well worn cliches about saving money by turning your tv off at night.

Appears to have been written by someone in PR.
Published on 4 Oct 2012 by Murkredi

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful overview and guide, 14 Feb 2013
I bought this book when we moved out to the country from suburbia. I found myself with 2 acres of windswept land with nothing on it (other than the house) and not knowing where to start. This book was great for guidance. There are 52 chapters each covering a different area, which of course means it does not tell you everything about every topic but gave a really good overview of the whole area along with some very useful and practical ideas. It was great for someone like me who wanted to embrace a self sufficiency lifestyle but felt a bit daunted by the prospect. Now - 4 years later I have 3 ewes, have had 4 years of lambs, a beehive, various chickens and ducks, a large veg and fruit patch and the beginnings of a forest garden.

It's not just about the outdoors stuff either, lots of helpful ideas for how to actually decrease your monthly budget.....something we all need these days. My life is so very different (better) to how it was in suburbia and my priorities in life just feel better. This book helped greatly in that process.

I disagree with the reviewer who says this is a "Country Living Style" idyll. If it had been I wouldn't have got past the first chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little guide, 14 Feb 2013
I thought this book was worth every penny! My husband and I had to downscale when I lost my job and had to live off one wage, there were some great little tips in this book, the author obviously has the readers best interests at heart! Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars suitable for all, 14 Feb 2013
L.Cole (Bellingham, Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A great book to check out, whether you intend to plunge headlong into downshifting or dip your toe in (and anything in between). Many useful ideas in a very user-friendly format. If one idea doesn't appeal to you, you can always try the next, or the next, or the next. A huge support for anyone who cares about how they live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with useful info, 14 Feb 2013
Mr. M. J. Barker "freethinker" (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be full of useful, practical and easy to adopt information to help downshifting. I chose to leave my job to be at home with my children. We live on 1 income and although we live in a relatively rural area we certainly don't have a large plot of land, just an average sized garden ! An effective and motivating addition to my bookshelf ! Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 30 Aug 2014
Excellent

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my idea of downshifting, 4 Oct 2012

Appears to have been written by someone in PR.

Downshift to the Good Life: 52 Brilliant Ideas to Scale It Down and Live It Up (52 Brilliant Ideas)
Used & New from: £0.01