Format: Hardcover|Change

on 21 March 2011
Chris Scott and his Horizons Unlimited web site and forum has been a mecca for overland travellers for several years now. This book distills the thousands of posts from that forum into a substantial volume (700+ pages), with witty, articulate advice for both first time overlanders and repeat offenders. It includes comprehensive coverage of subjects such as vehicle selection, modification, route advice across every continent other than Antarctica, and for the armchair travellers a selection of trip reports to itch that travel bug.

The book repeats the basics of the vehicular advice from Chris's Sahara Overland, 2nd Edition: A Route and Planning Guide (Trailblazer) but then goes into a lot more detail about fitting out a living area (including building a cabin on the back of a flatbed truck!). Also, the route planning advice is obviously different in this volume. If you're focussing on deserts, the Sahara volume may be more useful, but for most overlanding adventures, this book is the dog's danglies. Pearls of wisdom on every page, from the life-saving (take a first aid course before leaving) to the mundane but essential (don't park overnight near a mosquito-infested pond if you want some sleep!).

You won't go far wrong by following the advice of Chris and the number of other contributors in this book, who between them have encircled the globe multiple times, by car, truck and bike, and powered by petrol, diesel or in one case even used chip fat!
on 11 April 2011
This is the book I wish had been written (and I had read) before I started building my overland campervan in 2000.

Since then I have spent many years driving round the world and now I no longer have to try and answer peoples questions. I just tell them to read this book.

Buy it!
on 17 March 2011
I received this book this morning (17 March 2011). Travelling around the world is one of those things I have been dreaming of doing for years, this book has more useful information in it than anything other book or magazine I have ever picked up. I just can't put it down, (obviously I have to type this) I just need to work out my budget then the planning can begin.
on 13 June 2011
This is a first class book. If the thought of travelling overland with a vehicle has crossed your mind, or even if you are a seasoned traveller (see ZenSlo's comments) this is essential and comprehensive reading. Written with first hand knowledge and a sense of humour, Overlanders Handbook contains valuable advise and info on all aspects of overland travel, ranging from the selection of a suitable vehicle, equipment, trip planning and preparation onwards, it also includes first hand reports from a selection of folk who have made their "journey of a lifetime" dream a reality. Buy this book, you'll be glad that you did.
on 12 February 2012
Quite simply a fantastic and comprehensive guide for overlanders. Could possibly be renamed the Overlanders Encyclopedia! I can't put it down, really informative, interesting stories, full of ideas and something that will be in the glovebox for reference on our trip. A must have for anyone considering overlanding.
on 3 September 2011
this is a good up to date book for real or armchair adventurers. The advice will save you trouble and money ahead if you're considering a trip. Ive travelled myself in a bog standard Landcruiser Troopie thru Australia and Europe and have thought myself verily knowledgable about this sort of travel. This book contains heaps of useful information I wouldnt have a clue about, and im finding it hard to put down since i got it a week ago. Theres links to websites and forums that are truely huge in the amount of content. But essentially Chris has condensed all that internet infomation into something you can safely take into the bath with you. The hard cover is well made and looks like it will hold together when lost inthe back of my truck for 2 months of off roading. Im just back home in Ireland from a 8 week roadtrip around Australia and New Zealand and after buying this book I can easily see myself heading africa direction.
on 16 December 2011
Very usefull book for any one wanting to travel by vehicle. Good advice on pretty much all the 4x4's. How to prepare youraelf and car for the journey and what to expect in each of the countries.
Used more for reference once read but still really handy to keep close.
on 19 January 2013
Well, I bought one for my son, a Landrover enthusiast, who's planning a big overland trip in his lovingly restored Landy, then , I had to buy one for my husband!
They have both consumed the thin, information-packed pages of this weighty little tome with, no exaggeration, glee.
Information is practical and covers just about everything you need to know as you prepare for a trip- and a useful reference to take with you too. All based upon sound experience and clearly presented.
An absolute must for anyone dreaming of taking the plunge, and their Landrover, on an expedition of a lifetime anywhere in the world.
on 18 September 2012
Although this is billed as an overlanders handbook, offering advice as a worldwide route and planning guide, it should appeal to a much wider audience. Its sections on choice of vehicles, tents, camping arrangements, food and drink and so forth, all accompanied by much practical advice, will appeal equally well to campers and weekenders who do not travel outside their own country.

I will never travel overland in the way the term is defined. Nevertheless I think this book is an outstanding guide even to those who only contemplate weekend camping. For real overlanders, I imagine it is an indispensable guide.
on 12 May 2016
I've read this from cover to cover and still regularly dip in and out, it is clearly written with a wealth of information sprinkled with anecdotes and pictures but all with the purpose of being invaluable to the budding and perhaps even grizzled overlander's! Don't be overly concerned with the thickness of the book, it's a relatively easy read and if a topic doesn't take your fancy right away it's easy to refer back when the information is needed because of how well written and laid out it is. Well recommended.