Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 March 2012
I'm the first to admit that I'm not very good at sewing, but even I can use this book! It has lots of project, even suitable for beginners, and the instructions for each project are really easy to understand.

What's great about this books is how it doesn't assume that you know anything, so it teaches you all the different things you need to know in order to sew - such as hand stitching, difference between needles, all kinds of equipment and fabrics. The book really shows you all the basics, and then how to apply everything to different projects.

I really recommend this book, it's so cute and easy to use that everyone should really buy it.
on 24 February 2012
This book is amazing!! I bought it for my little sister and so far she hasn't put it down. It explains everything simply, with helpful diagrams to aid your reading. It explains different types of needles, materials, stiches and even types of fasteners. If you want a concise guide to get you started in the clothes recycling hobby that doesn't cost an arm and a leg - then look no further - this book has it all. I would recommend to everyone. Happy Reading :)
on 6 March 2012
This is a great little book! I have so many scraps of fabric, buttons, cloth, and ribbons and this book offers great inspiration for what can be made from them. I love crafts and sewing but am completely self-taught so I found the equipment section really useful. It provides information on different needle types, how to unpick clothes to make the most of them and troubleshooting tips for a sewing machine. Recycling clothes is great for the bank balance and a rewarding way to spend your time; I'm inspired and can't wait to get crafty!
on 5 March 2012
A fantastic book with some great ideas on up-cycling and craeting something from scraps.It's just what I was looking for and a great go to book for all my crafty needs.
The detailed guide for each project is brilliant and translates really well when having a go. This is a great book if you know someone who doesn't like waste and wants to make do and mend I'd recommend it.
on 4 April 2012
This is a lovely book. The equipment and technique sections at the front act as reference book for when you want to attempt something you've not tried for ages (like putting in a zip or making pleats) but if you are new to sewing/crafting, it also covers the basic techniques you'll need to get started.

The project section is full of ideas for all sorts of things that make the most of those old clothes, spare bits of fabric, random buttons and pretty bits of ribbon! Each project has instructions, illustrations and photos, so anyone can have a go!
on 29 February 2012
I have found this book really helpful. As a relative newcomer to the crafting world the first two parts of this book detailing the equipment and techniques needed are invaluable and have stood me in good stead for my future projects, particularly useful are the sewing techniques and fabric behaviours. I can't wait to start the 'The easiest skirt in the world' as I'm on the shorter side of petite, I find it hard to buy off the peg skirts.
on 4 October 2012
How to books always struggle with balancing examples to inspire readers and basics of how to do the projects. Make and Mend does a good job of that, I think, and I have tons of how to craft-y books. It is successful because it takes more of an algorithmic than a cookbook approach. Readers can learn not only how to mend a particular item but also (and more importantly) how to decide whether to darn an item and how to darn whatever they decide. Descriptions of needles and equipment are very helpful--even if you know it (or knew it at one time), it is good to have a place to look it up. Odds are, next time your sewing machine acts up (and it will), you will look first at the chapter on Troubleshooting rather than your sewing machine manual. A good gift book for beginner sewers--informative without being patronizing.Make & Mend: A Guide to Recycling Clothes and Fabrics
on 26 April 2012
I bought this book thinking it would provide fresh inspiration for recycling fabric and upgrading clothes, however it was a little dissappointing in that it provided the basic projects of how to make a cushion cover, shopping bag etc. The basics of sewing on buttons and the use of a sewing machine were covered briefly.
However any novices may find making basic jewellery or adding a designer touch to items useful. I will use this book as basic reference in addition to my home library.
on 21 February 2015
Worst craft book that I have bought! The project ideas and are very interesting and the instructions clear BUT the lack of coloured photos it makes this a useless book! In some project, there are not even black and white pictures just a DRAWING SKETCH of how the project will look like by the end,which weren't even made by a professional And the black and white pictures were blur! SO disappointing! It's a shame! It is a great example that just the ideas are not enough if they are not presented properly! :(
on 28 February 2012
A really good book, it gives good ideas to get you started without it appearing to daunting. It gives clear explanations of the different terminology used in sewing and also explains how a sewing machine works! As well as advising were to source products and patterns. Would definitely recommend it!