5.0 out of 5 stars perfume perfection!
this book wasnt put down untill it was read ,i have taken a home study perfume course and this would be great read along with the course.this book gives you all the information needed to create wonderful fragrances for you and your home.myself and my home have never smelt better since meeting sally.beware!! its addictive and fun :) .
Published on 17 Nov. 2011 by snowstar

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was hoping for
Published on 31 Jan. 2013 by bluefairy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was hoping for, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Make Your Own Perfume: How to Create Own Fragrances to Suit Mood, Character and Lifestyle (Paperback)
This book covers blending your own fragrances using cosmetic fragrance oils (and a few essential oils). I have to say I found it very basic. While of course I was not expecting one book to teach me how to be a perfumer, I was hoping for a bit more insight into how real perfumes are actually created, and learn a bit more about blending fragrances than I've gleaned so far from aromatherapy books. However I didn't find that in this book. I wasn't keen on just following ready-made recipes, I wanted to create my own scent blends which is what I bought the book for. Halfway through it does get to advice on creating your own blends, but I didn't find the method that successful myself, ending up with some not-very-nice smelling blends. And I did use oils from the suppliers listed at the end of the book (having previously got some oils from ebay, that smelled horrid.) When the book suggests that you will be able to create your own 'gorgeous signature scents', this was a bit of a disappointment!

It would have been nice if there was a bit more emphasis on the use of essential oils alongside synthetic fragrance oils, the book does touch on the use of some essential oils, but tends to recommend the use of synthetic fragrances instead, giving the impression that they smell exactly the same as the real thing, but they don't.

I would also emphasise from what I've experienced, that oils from different suppliers won't necessarily be the same, so even if you follow the given formulas, you may end up with a slightly different smelling result than intended. A 'green tea' fragrance oil from one supplier probably won't smell the same as a 'green tea' oil from another. This doesn't matter as long as the finished blend comes out smelling good, but while some fragrance oils smell lovely, poorer quality ones can smell highly synthetic and reminiscent of cheap bubblegum or washing powder! As I've found to my cost!

If you want some 'recipes' for combinations of ready-made fragrance oils, and to perhaps just have a bit of fun coming up with your own perfume name, description & label etc for your blend then you'll probably enjoy this book. It would be ideal to use for a fun project with children or teenagers. Not for anyone looking for an introduction or insight into more professional perfumery.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfume perfection!, 17 Nov. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, enjoyable read!, 20 Sept. 2012
Mr. M. O'Sullivan (London, UK) - See all my reviews
One gets the impression that Sally Hornsey thoroughly enjoyed writing this book. It has a slight quirkiness and the personality of the author shines through.

As with Sally's other book, "Make Your Own Skincare Products", this is a basic hands-on how-to book with no frills, but the writing has a lightness of touch which her other book (good as it is) somewhat lacks. The result is that it's an enjoyable read.

It takes the reader through the basics of perfumery and there are a number of formulations to try out. It should have been made clear on the cover that these perfumes are made using essential oils and not synthetic chemicals as it is this which enables the average person to take up this fascinating hobby, essential oils being far easier to obtain than some of the ingredients of commercially produced perfume.

Anyone who has an interest in perfumery and likes making things will enjoy this book

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been waiting for this!, 17 Nov. 2011
Having studied via Sally Hornsey's website on a variety of subjects; my latest subject - perfume. This book is helping me build on the course and is encouraging my creative side even further! Full of knowledge, thoughtfully written, easy to follow and I like the fact it is peppered with other interesting facts about perfume. I am proud to actually be able to say I was there at THE book launch and know Sally. Sally is very generous with passing her knowledge on, a lovely, lively lady - a fact reflected in the book. Anyone who buys the book will not be disappointed - it will keep you experimenting for that smell that excites - there are always more perfumes to conjour up. If you want to make perfume, be it in solid, eau to toilette or parfum - get this book it will have you hooked from the moment you peek inside at all the treasures!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for making perfumes., 14 Dec. 2011
I am doing a make-up course with Plush Folly and also want to learn how to make perfumes. This book is an excellent read as it covers various different types of perfume, aftershave etc. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. I haven't found another book on perfume making that is so useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST Amazing!, 8 Aug. 2012
This book is just what I was looking for, She talks about packaging, what to use and what not to use, and what to name your perfume, about essintial oils to frangrance oils, it also covers commercial use iand little bit on the law. Amazing book well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book, 18 April 2014
I really enjoyed the format and easy to understand information in this book. I like the writers style, not boring or too technical like some perfume making books i have read. The recipes are very useful (some books don't include recipes) I like to try and create my own blends but as a beginner the book's recipes are good for practising the mixing techniques etc. I have read a few books on perfumery- some took ages to get through because they were so hard to understand but this book was great and i got through it in no time (and straight on to the perfume making) which is what it's all about!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction, 29 Sept. 2014
Kev Partner "Writer, geek, dad." (Alton, Hamshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this to help me understand how blends are made as I experiment with candle making fragrances. Sally's explanations of the way in which aromas are structured was refreshingly straightforward and understandable and forms the heart of the book. She also lists her favourite ingredients, why she likes them, whether they are better as essential oils or fragrance oils (and what the difference is) and how they combine with others - this is really useful on helping beginners like myself experiment without having to start completely from scratch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 2 Jan. 2014
Couldn't manage to make one perfume only with the book, had to research a lot on the internet. Also, there are major errors in terms of perfume history.

5.0 out of 5 stars I haven't yet made any perfumes but it has given ..., 9 Nov. 2014
I haven't yet made any perfumes but it has given me inspiration and a deeper understanding. I've been experimenting with different scent mixtures for massage oils and other body care products for a number of years. I trust this book will help me. It is an inspiration and I can't wait to get started.