4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good collection of common sense tips.
This book contains hundreds of tips which the author claims allow you to enjoy life more but without spending as much. In the current economic climate you have to take notice of a book with this intention.

Published on 2 Dec 2009 by J. Lyne

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but a tiny bit patronising.
Very easy to read, and based on a great idea for us all to live well without spending more. But I found this to be a tiny bit patronising (i.e. wear more clothes if cold, don't put warm food in the fridge), and lacking in real substantial tips and advice.

Published on 29 Nov 2009 by Bob and Billy's Mum

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but a tiny bit patronising., 29 Nov 2009
Bob and Billy's Mum (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Live More, Spend Less: A Savvy Guide to Saving Money for all the Family (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Set out in chapters on each area from shopping to home cleaning, I really didn't find anything I didn't know already from common sense or reading newspapers and magazines. Indeed, it felt like an overly long feature article for a magazine!

I enjoyed the read, but am not feeling any more savvy as a result!

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy something different, 20 Mar 2010
Mrs. R. "Polymath" (London, England, UK.) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've reviewed this book twice already but my reviews keep failing to show. The first one was venonous as I was deeply irritated by some of the dafter recommendations, the second one was merely quite rude. I'll attempt to keep this one fair. But I honestly don't think it's worth buying.
What I found strange was that these days, when we usually link saving money with sustainability, this one seems not to take the slightest bit of notice of the issues affecting anything outside small villages in the west of England. It recommends shopping for children's clothes at charity shops - which is good - and Primark - OK if you want to save money, but not if you want to make sure there's a habitable world for the kids you're buying for.
As for living more, how about free concerts, museums, walks, parks, festivals. We're recommended playing ball games in the garden and going to the Eden Centre. There's also a section about how to protect your kids from the dark side of the internet, which is fine, but nothing to do with living more or spending less.
There are pages on making your own natural cosmetics, with ingredients that are really expensive. You're better off going to Lush if you want handmade, fresh face masks. The book names loads of brands; i'm allowing myself one too.
To sum up, I find it confused. It reads like a collection of varied columns and features assembled to make a book, but it doesn't match the title and there are many, many better books that would give you the information you need if you really want to live more and spend less.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good collection of common sense tips., 2 Dec 2009
J. Lyne (Forres, Morayshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Many of the tips are common sense - but as the author alludes in the introduction - we all need to be reminded about common sense occasionally. Many people will find that a good proportion of the tips are already being used within their own households, and that others are incompatible with their lifestyles (such as baking your own bread which may save a bit of money but certainly takes longer than throwing one into the trolley!) But there are also many tips which everyone will find useful and will save people a good amount of money. There are also tips which we should all follow all of the time which will save not only money but the environment too.

My two problems with the book are firstly that there seem to be quite a few adverts and plugs for products and services. This is a very small distraction compared to the second problem which is that this is one of the most patronising books that I have ever read! I found it hard to read for more than two or three pages before having to put the book down and do something else for a while as I was getting so angry from being spoken to as if I was 10 years old. The answer I guess would be to use the book as the author intended - dipping in and out as required - but this means that you would miss out on many of the great tips hidden within the pages of this guide.

If you can stand the patronising tone then you will find some great tips within this book, and it will save you many times the purchase price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but may lose relevance, 14 Dec 2009
Nicolette Laurence "Lunarwillow" (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was attracted to this book straight away! I really like the recipes and there are some simple ideas which are fairly obvious but which you just may not have thought of. I just wonder if the book may lose some relevance, as there are quite a lot of references to specific products, supermarkets and prices, which of course will change in time (and possibly fairly quickly). However on the whole this is a good little book with plenty of good money saving ideas to get you thinking and saving money. Excellent for sitting on the shelf for a dip into when you lack inspiration, or for reading in one sitting like I did!

4.0 out of 5 stars always in need of money saving tips, 29 July 2010
another great read......saving money must be the most important thing in our lifes!!!!! I gathered some fab tips and quick and easy ways to save money in areas you might not know you could! It is practical and down to earth and targets most audiences. Maybe a few more pics would be good!!!!? But generally my sort of book

3.0 out of 5 stars Likeable but rather thin, 15 Dec 2009
Withnail67 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a timely book, given the general belt tightening needed to weather the financial crisis. The book covers a wide range of areas such as clothing, money management, transport and holidays, and offers sensible advice to spend less and make your money go further.

Rather a lot of the book is geared towards cheap recipes which are probably more comprehensively covered in better books. I'd also have liked this book to combine saving money with more of a green perspective. Fellow reviewers are right about the nannying tone, which soon grates.

If you triangulate some pertinent advice columns from the broadsheets, some basic common sense, and granny's wartime make-do-and-mend manual, you probably have this book already. Worth a look, and good value for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich but not with money, 2 Dec 2009
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ah, the new age of austerity. In our recession age, we find ourselves perhaps today cheesed off by the subtle and not so subtle scams, lies, and cons of the modern society. Spend Live, Live More is a fine compendium of a lifetimes worth of accumulated common sense - the lost knowledge - of how to make home made scourers, how to find bargains, how to make your food last longer and reduce the amount of unecessary profit generating additives and how to make a frugal life a rich one. There is more to being rich than being rich, and whilst someone once sang, once poor, always poor the adage can also be seen as flipped on its head that once rich, always rich and living more does not take more money, but more sense, more knowledge, and more taste. After all, any silly Arabian Prince can name his 300 foot yacht "Tits II" and prove once and for all that money can't buy happiness. However, it can make unhappiness a little bit more comfortable. Nonetheless, Spend Less - Live More encourages a widening of your way of thinking : free things to do, economical ways to live, and in this age of low wages, mass unemployment, spiralling food and living costs, and a multitude of companies very happy to seperate you from the little money you have for no reward at all, this is a fine companion in living smarter. Spend less, live more. Very interesting reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deeply average advice - Massively Patronising tonality, 17 Dec 2009
L. Day "Bookworm" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are looking for money-saving tips I recommend saving your money by not buying this and visiting moneysaver.com for some useful, unusual and topical tips. (I have no connection to the site but like a million other people I do benefit from the advice)

This book borders on the offensive. The idea that you can publish a book that states the blindlingly obvious, and does so in the most patronising tone it has ever been my displeasure to read, since I stopped getting school reports 30 years ago!

For example I would have found it far more useful to be given tips on how to be sure I was buying the cheapest version of the item I wanted on ebay (a simple enough matter if you use the site) rather than being told that none of the clothes I bought from there would fit! As I can use a tape measure - (which is obviously beyond the author) I find my purchases fit just fine.

Or that buying a horse would help me to save money!! Yes, truly! Buy a horse and you won't spend your weekend shopping ... oh puleeease.

In the 21st century with so much excellent, free advice on saving money, minimising debt, bagging bargains and stretching a pound - I am astonished that any publisher allowed trees to be cut down to print this insulting rubbish.

3.0 out of 5 stars Take the advice with a pinch of own-brand salt, 22 Jan 2010
Mark Thomas "physics_mark" (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sarah Flower puts a good amount of effort into Live More, Spend Less, and manages not to come across as pious or overly superior. It's no mean feat, as there are tips and suggestions in the book for every aspect of modern life, from washing and cleaning, cosmetics and personal care, to cookery and recipes. It's an obvious but key realisation - that money can be saved across all of our daily routine and habits if a little thought is applied first.

I can't tell whether the book is meant to be read in full or dipped into for occasional reminders; some of the details are very 'of the now', and may not hold true in a few years' time. I fully support the notion of not spending a disproportionate amount of time in avoiding spending money, though, which is a belief that is touched on a few times.

I for one found the section on making your own household cleaning products, and the techniques to apply when using them, to be the most helpful. I still don't know anywhere where I can actually buy borax, but the tips on where - and, perhaps more crucially, where not - to buy stock items from are well-emphasised and logical. This extends to other chapters as well, and although the ephemeral nature of product prices again raises concerns about the longevity of the book's advice, the overall feeling is that developing the good habits proposed here will save most people a decent amount of money in the long-term. I have a concern that recommending people to buy super-cheap brands of food items may have a nutritional impact, and in my opinion the author doesn't really do enough to make readers aware of this possible side-effect when making their choice.

Sarah says that she doesn't like to use the word 'frugal' (although she then proceeds to use it on practically the next page) and isn't recommending a lifestyle of austerity and minimalism. I think there's enough easy-to-follow advice in Live More, Spend Less to help most people achieve some sort of saving without making undue sacrifices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its a Sign of the Times!, 3 Jan 2010
J. S. Bundy (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Here we have a book written off the back of the current financial climate, none the worse for that, and does probably have some relevance.

As the author suggests this is much more of a book to dip in and out of and I certainly found it hard going to read page after page of handy tips delivered with a slightly patronising slant!

However, much of Sarah Flowers advice is good, sound common sense, the recipe section I felt was a little basic and unimaginative but the cleaning section and beauty chapters were great and I picked up a lot of ideas.

I think that it could feel quite dated quickly due to the lists of web sites and organisations that can prove quite transient, it would however provide good food for thought for anyone wanting to start the year with a new outlook on life.

Live More, Spend Less: A Savvy Guide to Saving Money for all the Family