Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 November 2006
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It is extremely comprehensive and very practical, covering all aspects of running a business.

Importantly, it challenges the myth that money is the primary motivation for everyone, citing a wide variety of reasons that women choose to set up their own business.

It covers aspects that I haven't seen in other business books such as the practicalities of juggling childcare, etc. Also, it has an excellent section on making the decision whether you want to set up your own business, helping you to explore whether it is a good decision for you.

I like the examples of real women in business given throughout the book, it shows that this book is heavily grounded in reality not just management theory.
on 13 December 2006
One of the best things about this book is what it isn't. It's not smug or patronising and it doesn't leave anything out. It also does something quite unusual - it gently, but firmly, nudges you into making a decision about starting your own business. If, like me, it's something you've dreamt of for ages, but never quite had the nerve to do, then this book is perfect. By the end of it you'll either have decided entrepreneurship is not for you or, more likely, it'll give you the confidence to go for it without looking back. Practical and inspiring.
on 3 December 2006
This book lived up to the promises, and has given me the confidence to take the leap (I've been teetering on the edge for some years now). I have the confidence to take the first steps without the awful dread of failure. There's so much information in this book, failure is not an option!
on 23 November 2006
I read this book on an plane journey home and felt inspired and ready to get cracking with my business idea. I liked the step by step guide and the checklists. I also liked the case studies illustrating the challenges other women have faced. Reading about the practicalities and issues women face in business that men don't was also helpful and I hope will help me avoid potential pitfalls. There are lots of practical steps I will be following over the coming weeks and months.
on 24 November 2006
This is a very practical upbeat book. As well as providing a robust practical checklist for women setting up in business, it addresses psychological challenges associated with striking out. I found the examples from women who have set up their own businesses inspiring and they made the book very digestible. There are also useful resources at the back.
on 6 November 2006
I loved this book, It is essential reading not just for women wanting to start a business, but even for those who haven't thought about it yet. They soon will. It covers not only the practical aspects of starting up - getting the idea, setting up a company and raising finance, marketing and PR, but also addresses all the mental struggles that you go through, especially women and mothers - relating to family responsibilities, childcare, and the enormity of trying to be a successful entrepreneur as well as a mother and a wife. The case studies are inspirational, not because these women have built multinational conglomerates, but because they are real women that you see every day who have turned their lives around through self-employment. These two authors will soon be the Trinny and Susannah of women entrepreneurs. Watch this space!
on 9 November 2006
This book is such good news for us normal every day women who dream of doing something for ourselves and feel we are not really going to fit into the business world. It is full of the most important advice, from how to start to how to maintain momentum. All the questions we may feel are too silly to ask, Bella and Lucy ask and answer without making us feel inadequate. I loved the success stories too, very inspiring. I wish all women would read this and set up businesses! The authors make it sound so possible, which it is, with this kind of encouragement and common sense approach.
on 18 October 2006
I would recommend this book to every woman running their own business - novice or otherwise. Every aspect of starting up a sucessful business is covered in a clear and easily-disgested format. It will be the best investment you make - honest!
on 28 May 2008
This is a very practical guide covering a vast array of different areas of relevance to anyone starting a business. I do mean everyone, or at least everyone who has a life as well as a business. I was very impressed by the breadth and, where necessary, the depth of the material covered. As an accountant with 20+ year experience advising clients on this sort of material, I learned a lot that I can apply in my day to day dealings with clients, especially those in the start-up phase of their businesses.
on 29 January 2009
I read this book very soon after starting my own business when I was reading anything and everything I could lay my hands on.

I found this particular book very good because it was down to earth and wasn't patronising in any way. The book also taught me not to take myself so seriously all the time. When you start a business from scratch not everything is going to go as well as you hope or plan but the best thing to do with these experiences is to learn from them and move on.
I even bought a copy for a good friend of mine for Christmas who has just had a baby and is thinking about starting her own business.