4.0 out of 5 stars Alarmist?
Mankind is obsessed with the End Of The World. Nonetheless, this neat and comapct title covers all the Mayan prophecies and how they may be interpreted for the modern age. It's well researched and does a great job of explaining the often misunderstood prophecies clearly, but does not skimp on detail. I'm still hoping the Mayans are incredibly wrong about the end of the...
Published on 11 Sep 2008 by Mr. M. A. Reed

1.0 out of 5 stars Nonsense
I could take any text of any kind written at any point in history and attempt to weave some prophecies from it. That about sums up the majority of this book.

The introductory section with a look at the Mayan civilisation is interesting and a whole book on this may have at least been worthwhile.

As it is, the majority of it is utter nonsense and...
Published on 21 Oct 2008 by IWFIcon

1.0 out of 5 stars Nonsense, 21 Oct 2008
IWFIcon - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

As it is, the majority of it is utter nonsense and doesn't even begin to convince you. Maybe I'm biased. Maybe some people will read this and be utterly captivated. Maybe, but I doubt it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to reading tea leaves, 21 Oct 2008
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The introduction to this book about the Mayan Civilisation was interesting but to me this was its only redeeming feature. Each prophecy is detailed then it is summarised and then there is a commentary on it followed by a short summary. Much of the information it contains is repeated several times as if you didn't get the message the first time. The prophecies are framed in such vague language that you could almost interpret them how you wished. Maybe I will put the book away until the end of 2012 and then read it again. If you want prophecy then your average fortune teller at a fair would probably be more reliable even though they tend to deal with the personal rather than the universal.

1.0 out of 5 stars Po/faced fairy tale, 18 Sep 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Im sure I wil be slated for this review but I was kind of attracted to the book for purely popularist reasons; i.e I heard about that whambam blockbuster 2012 doomsday movie and also googled a few facts about it. Thought this would be a nice introduction to the "facts", buts its actually a po-faced and fairly incomprehensible affair. I wouldnt bother if I were you.

1.0 out of 5 stars It didn't tell me anything!, 18 Sep 2008
White Eagle - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book very unappealing from the word Go! It's very baffling, written in a way that does not enthuse the reader & actually it didn't tell me anything. I could not make sense of much that was written as it is written in textbook style & actually I don't think even academics could make much use for it.
It was not informative & was written in a very unreadable fashion; that is it is not easy to read & is not for the everyday reader.
I do know a little & have read about the 2012 prophesies & do actually tihnk that there will be some changes but this book told me nothing.
I really don't recommned it unless you're highly intellectual, are after textbook style books or are very patient.

1.0 out of 5 stars Primitive people's predictions!!! - should not be taken seriously, 14 Sep 2008
Sally Wilton "Sally" (Bournemouth UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Decendants of the Mayans still inhabit South America and every respect to these indigenous people of Guatamala and Mexico.

The ancient race of Mayans, whose predictions are discussed in this book understood that the Earth came up through the water and that first there were wooden people, followed by the maize people, and only after the 'corn on the cob' race died out were there flesh and blood people. So ..... according to Gerald Benedict...... in between deforming their baby's heads to form a slope (how it was done is not explained) and sacrificing their infants to the angry gods to prevent bad things happening to the community, (as if a childs death is not the most devastating thing that could happen to anyone) they enjoyed pondering the lights in the skies and make detailed plans and geometric mathematical calculations. Considering this was carried out solely with the naked eye they were pretty accurate says the author, so all credit due to those early astronomers for that.

Pre Soduko, crosswords and 'Amazon' Mayan academics spent a goodly time in darkness and I can imagine that it encouraged all sorts of fantastical explanations and tall tales. Clever triganomical measuring technique, particularly useful for following the orbit of Venus is not a good enough reason to believe they really knew anything about predicting the future and it seems that no one before or since can accurately predict anything, other than by utilising real scientific evidence, and no scientist is backing up this books spiritual belief theory regarding 2012.

Despite the attractive cover, I cannot give this more than one star although I did like reading a bit of background information about the Mayans, their vertical numbering system is interesting as is their hyraglyphical wording. But there is not enough real solid reading material to be had in this book, and to be frank a lot is nonsensical to me.

I am not going to give any credance to the beliefs people who thought that humans used to be woodentops or maize. Though to be fair there are plenty of folk here and loads on the 'other side of the pond' who still prefer to believe old scriptures over and above knowledge accurately acquired over the past 2 thousand years - some even running for vice president of the US - oh dear!! - there is one born every minute it appears so there will probably be a market for this book in those new age, patouchi smelling shops. I can hear those pans pipes calling now. There again it is a bit pricey.

1.0 out of 5 stars New-Age Nonsense, 12 Feb 2009
A. M. Hendry (Scottish Borders) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I approached The Mayan Prophecies for 2012 by Gerald Benedict with interest. The Mayans were a sophisticated race and I expected this little red book to be a short academic text about their belief systems, written with modern scepticism. I was wrong.

It began with interesting references to the Mayan affinity with mathematics and astronomy in an attempt to make the succeeding information sound plausible - if the Maya were hard-hearded scientists, how could we doubt their logic? The pages which followed jumped between various subjects, trying to make the prophecies relevant to the modern world (destruction of nature, science, modern religions) all the time trying to push its main point - that in, or around, or beginning 2012, the world will change. Not end - it will change. And it's not clear whether it will change for the better or the worse, but it will definitely be one of the two.

`The prophecy calls us to recover our sensitivity to places charged with spiritual energy and knowledge,' says Benedict, cleverly tapping into the current awareness of the need to be more attentive to the crumbling world around us. That sounds a bit too much like hippy tree-hugging to me - and I'm a bus-dwelling vegetarian.

The chapters repeat the same vague information - change is coming. This is, of course, true, but as change is an integral part of life which has always happened and will always happen, I don't need a prophecy to tell me that.

In conclusion, The Mayan Prophecies could have been interesting, but was ultimately too new-agey to be taken seriously. The subject may have been effective if gathered into an unusual article, but I feel there was not enough substance in the material to warrant a complete book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Like reading a thesis., 23 Jan 2009
M. Gibbons "Loveregency" (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The whole idea sounded great but this book was just two like being back at school for me. It was so promising. I got bored after a couple of pages, but I held in there and finished but I don't think I could tell you what it said near the end as I was just readying it to finish it and get on to a book I'd enjoy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dont judge a book by its cover!, 2 Nov 2008
reviewed by Andrea Lynam

Its a shame that the content wasnt as interesting as the book cover and title suggested. If you are looking for an easy read then continue looking, I found this book complex and tedious, and rather than being compelled to read from cover to cover I found myself being forced to dip into random pages to generate any real interest in it. There are other books on the subject that I have read which are much more engaging.

Having an interest in all things paranormal, spiritual or anything "weird" I was looking forward to delving into how the prophecies written many hundreds of years ago related to our present day life. I was very disappointed, it was boring, long and hard to read.

You may still be trying to read this book in 2012.

2.0 out of 5 stars Like reading through treacle, 15 Oct 2008
James Walls (Nr Stroud, Gloucester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
2012 is apparantly when all hell is going to break loose - And i'm not just talking about the Olympics!

I've heard of the 2012 date for a couple of years now and thought this book would be a good way to actually find out more about this rumour. Sadly it was not to be.

The book is, frankly, boring! And lets be honest, if we are going to be talking abotu cataclysmic change, then you don't expect to be able to yawn through it. The chapters are laid out with a mayan prophecy and then how this can affect us and the way we live. And to be honest, not all chapters are as bad as others, but on the whole it is long, hard to read and dull.

If the world ends at 2012 I hope this book will be the first thing to go!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting for what it is, 12 Oct 2008
Dragon0303 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm really quite surprised at so many negative reviews of this book. Maybe most people went into it actually expecting real tangible evidence or proof? Sorry, but that's never going to happen with something like this. Also, contrary to several other reviewers I found this book easy reading.

Personally I went into reading this knowing that I wouldn't believe a single word of the so called prophesies and after reading it I haven't changed my mind one bit. But that didn't stop it being an interesting read and I'd expect anyone interested in ancient cultures and philosophies (especially Mayan, obviously) to enjoy it even more than I did, so I'd recommend it if you like that sort of thing.

The Mayan Prophecies for 2012
The Mayan Prophecies for 2012 by Gerald Benedict (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2008)
8.96