5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Thought-Provoking
Published 2 months ago by GeeBee

3.0 out of 5 stars Some nice images but too many mediocre ones
Chris Packham is a trustworthy, popular and authoritative brand. He seems pretty self-critical, which includes some of his comments in this book. There are some very nice images but also too many very mediocre ones, not worthy of publishing in my opinion and I suspect that over time, Mr Packham may possibly reach the same conclusion.
Published 3 months ago by dynamo

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Thought-Provoking, 9 Oct 2014
This review is from: Chris Packham - 100 Things That Caught My Eye (Hardcover)
Some of Chris' photographs are wonderful, and some are not - and as other reviewers have already said, he is very self-critical about this, but I truly think he offers this perspective in order to help others to become better photographers themselves, which is partly what the book's about. And I don't think the point is that every photo is spot on, but rather that some of them miss the mark a bit, but he includes them as they are, never the less, things that caught his eye.

However, I am not really a keen photographer myself - so I found the analysis of how images could have been captured better a little dull at times (sorry, Chris), but what made the book stand out for me is Chris' commentary on global society and the cultural and economic differences between different people - particularly in relation to tribal communities, farming and trade and perspectives on wildlife conservation. Chris has been to places and had experiences and met people that I will probably only ever dream of doing - but his clever and intimate style of writing on his reflections of his experiences, made me feel as if he were having a conversation with me personally whilst poring over his photo album.

I was drawn to the book in my local library - but I'd love to have a copy at home to browse through at leisure, and to talk to my kids about - as there are some really interesting and thought provoking images and comments about children in different cultures and countries that I'm sure my brood will find fascinating and that might make them think and feel differently about their own lifestyles and values.

It's going on my Christmas prezzie list!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stimulating!, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Chris Packham - 100 Things That Caught My Eye (Hardcover)
This is a collection of beautiful and intriguing photographs but what is just as interesting is Chris Packham's comments on each. He is very self critical but they are wonderful images from across the world. Fascinating simply for the images but also for the photographic tips !

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 31 July 2014
S. D. Pickett "Sylvia pickett 'book maven" (Steyning Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chris Packham - 100 Things That Caught My Eye (Hardcover)
Excellent book. Beautiful photographs....wonderful descriptive text. Chris captures each country...especially like the pictures of the indigenous people....

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you want to think more about why and ..., 16 Oct 2014
This review is from: Chris Packham - 100 Things That Caught My Eye (Hardcover)
This is a fascinating book. It wasn't what I had expected, but turned out to be a really interesting insight into photography, the way we see the world and try to capture it. The text was actually the key part of the book, not the photographs. Great if you want to think more about why and how you are taking pictures, and also an insight into perfectionism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent photography/nature book, 27 July 2014
Mr. Stephen Deacon (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chris Packham - 100 Things That Caught My Eye (Hardcover)
As usual, Chris Packham brings a new twist to a popular subject, in this case photography. Some really though provoking comments and some excellent photographs in support.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift but the quick look showed this ..., 10 Sep 2014
This review is from: Chris Packham - 100 Things That Caught My Eye (Hardcover)
Bought as a gift but the quick look showed this to be a quality book. The down side was the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Chris Packham - 100 Things That Caught My Eye (Hardcover)
Great pictures and typical Packham no nonsense text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Chris Packham - 100 Things That Caught My Eye (Hardcover)
This collection of full-page photos reveals another side of Chris Packham – usually we see his pictures of wildlife, but here are striking images of people, icebergs, doors, seas and planes. These aren’t ‘chocolate box’ photos – in most cases they have been taken from less obvious angles to give maximum impact. They are the kind of photos that inspire us to have a go as well, even if our camera isn’t top of the range. As he points out, we can all aim for unusual shots if a bit of thought is given before we press the shutter. The text is in Chris’s inimitable style, slightly tongue-in-cheek, but it explains just what he was aiming for, even if – as he believes – most of his photos fall short of the ideal. They don’t of course, they are impressive, and some are positively stunning. This is one I will read over and over.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some nice images but too many mediocre ones, 10 Sep 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Sep 2014
Maggot (Hertfordshire england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chris Packham - 100 Things That Caught My Eye (Hardcover)
As usual anything by Chris Packham is excellent. A great book well worth the money.

Chris Packham - 100 Things That Caught My Eye
Chris Packham - 100 Things That Caught My Eye by Chris Packham (Hardcover - 5 Jun 2014)