on 20 December 2010
It is a great book, written in a clear concise manner.

It does include everything that a investor needs to get kick started, most people who may read this and think it can't be that easy are mistaken. The problem with the book is that it does give you all the information needed to get going in property, so can easily create overwhelm for most people.

The book gives you everything you need, however I would state that humans like to over complicate things and most people don't want to put the effort in or stop putting the effort in JUST before they are successful.

So buy the book, read it, read it again and maybe even a 3rd time. Then I would advise to go through chapter by chapter and split the actions down in small chunks. Ensure you apply each level of actions and continue to apply them day in day out for a MINIMUM of 6months if not more. So start with one of the strategies, then add another strategy in month 2 and so on and so forth. Continue to do so for 12month or longer and you will see results! Then in 12 months re-read the book and see if you can improve or change anything!

I would recommend it to anyone starting in property! Excellent book and well worth reading over and over - I am reading it for the 4th time this year to ensure that I am cover all angles as I should be.
on 19 December 2010
Prior to reading Simon's book my husband and I had been investing in property for a few years, but once we started reading Property Magic we realised that our knowledge was limited and Simon took it to a whole new level. It is written in an easy to follow manner and explains how to buy property, when to buy property and various strategies to invest in property. It also explains how to ensure your investment / purchase is a win win situation for for you and the seller. The book and its contents talks about buying property from motivated sellers but always in an ethical manner which is so important to us. We would recommend this book to anybody already involved in property, because everyone can always learn something new and to anybody thinking of buying investment property.
on 12 July 2011
If you think you know all there is to know about property...try reading this book.

Mindblowing strategies in to how to purchse BMV (Below Market Value) property from Motivated Sellers using simple yet effectictive techniques like mailshots etc. Also, more importantly - how to buy Ethically and to have a WIN WIN situation for both buyer and seller.

I've seen/met Simon at various Personal Development seminars I have attended, and feel that the wisdom from these seminars is incorporated in his book. Simon is a very humble, modest and approachable guy.

Without doubt, its one of the best property investor books on the market.

I don't see how you can fail being around someone like Simon...take action now and buy this awesome book.
on 9 February 2011
I would recommend this book to anybody interested in property buying. There is so much information packed into it and its all so relevant. Simon lays down an important foundation for buying property in terms of the knowledge that is required and where you can go wrong. He explains all the ins and outs / strategies in an easy to understand format, making it a great read. I read it in 2 days.

Dylan
on 22 June 2011
I found the first version fantastic but was a little disappointed that some of the techniques were no longer available.
having already read it I didn't think I'd get very excited from the new version this couldnt have been further from the truth.
We bought 1st btl at auction with weeks of me reading this whilst my other half was reading the older version. We've met Simon As we've attended one of his courses which was brilliant " quick start property investing 1 day ". He's very approachable happy to answer questions and share ideas. Even checked over our 1st deal to make sure it stacked up. Which thankfully it did as we had already bought at auction. Definate must read if you want to make the most of property investing with or without lots of money.
on 16 December 2010
I always knew property was a great long term investment but never realised how good it could be until I read Simon's book. Its was a massive insight into the property world set out in pain, simple to read format. The strategies Simon walks you through in the book are also SO SIMPLE you cant help but give them a true....and they work!!! Buy it, it will open your eyes to what you can achieve without that much effort.
on 17 October 2011
I was given the Rich Dad / Poor Dad (Robert Kiyosaki) book as a birthday gift by a good friend of mine. I played the game too and made a decision I want to invest in myself and eventually start purchasing property. Reading author reviews, I decided to purchase Property Magic by Simon Zutshi. I spent 2 evenings reading the book - I could not put the book down! A week later, I attended my first PIN meeting. A week later I placed my offer for my first house. I attended the 2nd PIN meeting, a week later I'm in currently process of purchasing my second home.

Why did I do this? There is nothing wrong with my cautious approach, but I found that I needed an inspirational speech Simon gave in my first PIN meeting to actually take action. Simon's book will give you a head start into understanding the concepts of property investing. This book coupled with with the Rich Dad / Pool Dad book may help provide you the mindset to take action and to successfully invest.
on 20 December 2010
This is a great book which can be read by anyone - wherever they're at in property investment. It's easy to understand and covers all the main areas of property purchasing, along with other ideas eg j/v partnering. Terrific.
on 28 December 2010
Property Magic 2010: How to Buy Property Using Other People's Time, Money and Experience
I have read the previous edition of Property Magic and I could not put the book down. It was an easy read and although it did not delve deeply into the various strategies, it certainly made me curious enough to start my journey as a property investor. The updated version provides information on the current economic climate and how we should change our strategies. My 21 yr ols son heard Simon spoke at a seminar in Singapore in 2009 and he was so impressed with his simple strategies. We both read the book and have applied some of the strategies that Simon mentions in his book. Personally, I would not have started my property investing this year had I not read the Property Magic book last year. And certainly this is the best book to read because it combines the simplicity of property investing with the complexity of how to get rid of our FEAR of investing! Simon believes that property investing is Simple once you have crossed that FEAR which is only False Evidence Appearing Real! So do what Simon says, "Keep it Simple!".
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 March 2011
Although this book focuses purely on the UK market, so it is more relevant to a UK investor than other books on real estate, if you have already read your Robert Kiyosaki and Dolf De Roos, you will already know the difference between an asset and a liability and that you should only buy properties at below market value (BMV), so that makes about 70% of the book redundant. As for the UK-specifics, these are explained in more detailed in other books.

Please also note that this book is only 136 pages long, and the last 30 pages are essentially advertising for the author's course (with more of the same interspersed throughout the book). Basically, much of what you pay for is advertising.

Does it at least deliver the goods it offers on the cover? If it did, one wouldn't mind the advertising, or the redundant repetition. On the cover it says:

"2010 and beyond revised edition. How to buy property using other people's time, money and experience."

If you are an experienced investor you will already know about the day-1 remortgage deals that USED to be available from Mortgage Express - and you will also know those deals were withdrawn way back in 2008. So I bought this book as a bet more than anything else, because I had every reason to believe it would not deliver what it promises. Unsurprisingly, I was right.

After pointing out that the day-1 remortgage cannot be done any more, the author suggests earth-shattering alternatives (not) such as:

1) Remortgaging one's other properties to raise a deposit (if you already have a portfolio chances are you built it by remortgaging, so you don't need this book to tell you about it!)
2) Digging into personal savings or hidden assets (but hang on, that's YOUR money, isn't it?)
3) Asking someone who is planning to leave you some money when they die to gift you the money now (which is both presumptuous and in a very bad taste, not to mention the fact that they will probably need it themselves while they are alive. Plus, one's inheritance-to-be is not other people's money!)
4) Doing a joint venture whereby you put in your time and expertise and someone else puts in the money (but hang on, people who have money to invest are not stupid; chances are they will buy a property in their own name and have it professionally managed; it's much cheaper than doing a JV with YOU!)

So, to claim this book shows "How to buy property using other people's time, money and experience" in "2010 or beyond" is a misrepresentation.

Additionally there's nothing in this book for the experienced investor. Nothing, nada, zilch!

Does it at least offer something of value to the newbie? Yes and no. I mean, yes, it does offer, very briefly (remember, it's a very short book) some of the nuts and bolts, but IMHO it also mixes in some very dangerous advice (see below). This is worrying because a newbie may not be able to distinguish between the two, taking both at face value.

To maximise the cash flow that can be obtained from a property the author advises multi-occupancy lets, i.e. HMO's, even to newbies!! What he sadly forgets to mention is that:

1) with HMO's you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel and attracting the least desirable type of tenants
2) many lenders don't allow HMO's, and those who do may charge you a higher interest rate
3) in addition to the possible need of becoming a licensed landlord (which the book does mention) the rules, which already involve considerable outlay and red tape, are undergoing further tightening
4) there are experienced landlords such as myself who would not touch HMO's with a barge pole because of the additional pitfalls they entail, so why recommend this type of investment to a newbie??

Yet, recommend it he does. There is a section entitled "First-time buyer multi-let strategy". Now, THAT is a recipe for disaster!

The only reason I could imagine for anyone to encourage a newbie to become involved in multiple lets would be to sell them a property (or a `deal') which would not stack up as a single self-contained unit - in other words, a lemon.

Also worth pointing out is that most of the case histories in the book are very dated and relate to deals that are no longer available in today's mortgage market (as already mentioned above). Worse still, some of the deals we are supposed to be awed by actually don't stack up in my book (and shouldn't stack up in the author's either, if he were consistent).

For example, in the good old days of 85% LTV BTL mortgages Susan Alexander (who attended a Property Mastermind Programme) paid a finder's fee for the privilege of buying a property at an alleged 20% discount. The property was allegedly worth £110,000 but she was lucky enough to have it offered to her (for a fee) at a paltry £88,000, which she cleverly reduced (after paying a surveyor for a valuation) to £86,400. Sounds like the bargain of the century, doesn't it? But wait a minute, she says the rent she agreed on it was only £440 per month, and she reckons `in time this will break even." But hang on, Zutshi has been preaching that you should never, ever, ever buy a property that does not give you a positive cash flow from day 1, and then he goes and sells `deals' like this where the buyer isn't even breaking even? Hardly an endorsement for his Property Mastermind Programme. You don't need to be a mastermind to find a better deal than that!! For a property that doesn't even fetch £500 a month, a savvy investor would not have paid more than £80,000 (tops), even in a buoyant market. And to claim that she had £13,500 in equity after paying £86,400 for it (plus a fat `finder's fee') is, frankly, delusional poppycock.

In conclusion, in terms of usefulness, this book serves neither the experienced investor not the newbie, rather it falls between stools with a loud thump - and there it should mercifully rest - as in R.I.P.

This book may, however, be useful to Mr Zutshi if it will bring him complete beginners who are eager to pay him finder's fees for such ridiculously poor deals.

If Mr Zutshi is such a `magician' with property, which he claims still to be able to buy with no money of his own (although he does not tell us how), then what is he doing running up and down the country running `meetings' and courses, instead of looking after his properties and adding more to his portfolio, since property is where the real money is?

This list below is from his website (...):

* Southampton - meetings 1st Tuesday of the month
* Birmingham - meetings 3rd Thursday of the month
* London - meetings 4th Tuesday of the month
* Leeds - meetings 4th Wednesday of the month
* Cambridge - meetings 4th Thursday of the month

And these are just the monthly meetings! Much more time (presumably the rest of the month) will be used to cater for the people who sign up to his `Mastermind...' whatever.

I'm sorry Mr Zutshi, but I'm not convinced. Like some of the deals you describe, this doesn't stack up!
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...