5.0 out of 5 stars Nice collection of sci-fi art, 1 Jun 2011
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 1:24 Mins

Sci-Fi Art Now features a cool gallery of sci-fi art from various artists. There are seven chapters that covers robots, aliens, spaceships, cities, warfare, space girls and steampunk. The quality of art is great, and the variety is good, ranging from manga style to 3D modeling to paintings. The scenes and ideas are interesting and comes with a short description from the artists.

Nice book for fans of sci-fi art.

Do not mistake the other book Sci-Fi Art: A Graphic History as being part of the series. The other book covers more on the history of sci-fi art.

This book is published by two publishers, namely Harper Design and Ilex. The prices for the books are different. They have different cover art - Ilex has a flying gorilla and Harper Design has a yellow space alien girl. Both are 128-page hardcover.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality book. Top quality artwork, 2 Oct 2010
J. Malcolm (Paisley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sci-Fi Art Now (Hardcover)
First of all, I have to admit I am biased. I was lucky enough to be asked by John Freeman to contribute, and luckier still to get three of my images into the book.

As a artist and lifelong fan of science-fiction, I'd have bought this book whether or not I had any images in it. I have in fact bought a copy in addition to the contributor's copy.

For any fan of science-fiction this is a wonderful book. I was amazed by both the high quality of the book itself, as well as by the high quality of the artwork contained in it. The layout of the book maximises the size of the artwork - this is not a book containing tiny thumbnails.

Artists (traditional or digital) with an interest in science-fiction can get even more out of it - the book is a great source of inspiration. Each piece as accompanied by text which gives an insight into the inspiration behind each or sometimes info describing the process. It's also given me a VERY long list of artist names and their websites that I'll need to check out.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good and broad selection, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Sci-Fi Art Now (Hardcover)
This book has a broad, decent selection of sci-fi art. There are numerous different styles, and the artists get a paragraph or two in which to comment, provide background or insight into their methods.

I can't say I liked all the art. Some styles just didn't do anything for me. But if that wasn't the case, the book wouldn't have done its job properly.

It's well printed, bound and presented, and split into different sections for robots, space travel, war, etc. - that works very well to help bring some sense of order to often disparate styles.

A decent book with some superb art in it. Well worth buying.

Sci-Fi Art Now
Sci-Fi Art Now by Chris Foss (Hardcover - 4 Oct 2010)
Used & New from: £6.53