5.0 out of 5 stars You CAN get better at the UKCAT
Published on 2 Sep 2009 by Louise .H.

3.0 out of 5 stars 600 Book!
Published on 9 Oct 2009 by M. ODEDRA

5.0 out of 5 stars You CAN get better at the UKCAT, 2 Sep 2009
Louise .H. (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get into Medical School - 600 UKCAT Practice Questions. Includes Full Mock Exam, comprehensive tips, techniques and explanations. (Paperback)
I had terrible trouble with UKCAT when i took it last year in 2008. I hope to encourage others not only to buy this book, but also to reassure people who, like me found it difficult to get to grips with the UKCAT, that you can get better at it. The answer to your UKCAT problems is A: This book. Partly because the others would be better put to use in a public restroom, but mostly because this book is pretty great and gives you all the practice you could need and then some.
Last year I applied to medical school (with 4 grade A's predicted and more work experience than I could fit in my personal statement) with a UKCAT score of 600 average. From the 2 unis that required the UKCAT (and the 2 BMAT unis incidentally) I got rejections after 5 months of waiting and no interviews, in March 2009. Needless to say I was gutted... I think I cried for a week. I am almost certain that the UKCAT score was to blame... and I maybe did something wrong on the BMAT too.
This year I am determined to get my place so, in preparation for the UKCAT, I bought this book... well my mother did. You can read other reviews, that describe just how fabby it is in depth so I won't repeat them, but no matter what anyone says or how much they rave about it, the proof is, as they say, in the pudding.
The following are my results for each section from 2008, and what it went up to when I re-sat the UKCAT in 2009, using this book in the time leading up to it.
Verbal Reasoning: 550 -> 650 (increase of 100 points)
Quantitative Reasoning: 650 -> 760 (increase of 110 points)
Abstract Reasoning: 620 -> 700 (increase of 80 points)
Decision Analysis: 580 -> 730 (increase of 150 points)
2008 average = 600
2009 average = 710 (increase of 110 points :D)
Very few people publish their results for these things, either because they don't want to boast, or to give people high expectations. But I don't know how good these scores will be compared to other applicants this year, it all changes so rapidly. I put my results here, purely to encourage anyone who finds this test to be an utter bitch. The first time I really didn't understand the test, but this book helped me hugely and I did better than I could have hoped.
I hope this gives you a quantitative view of how good I think this book is. Everyone is different and finds different aspects challenging, but this book WILL have a section to help you. After that, how well you do is all down to the work you put in to practicing.
Practice and work hard (I worked really hard for the 2 preceding weeks) and there is no reason why you shouldn't achieve a score you can be proud of as well. Good luck and please apply to different unis to me, I don't need the competition and I am not sitting this *insert your profanity of choice* exam ever again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, 24 July 2010
Did my UKCAT yesterday for the first time, and this was the only book I used. Ended up with a score of 725!

This book is brilliant and covers everything you need to know to succeed at the UKCAT

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete focus on the exam - Simply the best, 28 Jun 2009
Having attempted the UKCAT last year, I can honestly say that this book is the one that is the closest to what you will experience on the day of the test in terms of difficulty of the questions. It offers a massive range of questions, all backed up with good reasoning and tips on how to answer quickly. The presence of mock exam at the end of the book makes it one of the rare books on the market to offer the complete package and, most likely, the only one you will really need to pass the test at the level you need, whatever school you are applying for.

I would also widely recommend another book written by ISC Medical: Medical School Interviews: A Practical Guide to Help You Get That Place at Medical School - Over 150 Questions Analysed, which is one of the most fantastic and complete book that you could ever find on medical school interviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars 600ukcat, 30 July 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars By far and away the best UKCAT book..., 2 Sep 2009
L. Angel - See all my reviews
Having purchased six books and one online set of questions to practise for the UKCAT, I can honestly say that this book was the best practice I found. The questions closely echoed those in the actual exam, and the advice given in the book was both lucid and practical: the introductions to each of the different sections of the test contain excellent advice, in particular those referring to the quantitative reasoning and abstract reasoning sections. Each of the questions in the book have their answers at the back of the book, with the reasoning for each answer well explained (I found this helped to remove some of the frustration felt with other books where I considered their answers to be wrong, but had no way of proving so without an explanation being given as to why their answers were correct).

If there is some advice to offer regarding using this book, it would be to not be too disheartened by it! I certainly found that the quantitative questions in the book were much harder than those in the actual exam (although that is probably no bad thing in order to become accustomed to the time constraints). Regarding the mock paper at the end of the book, whilst again the questions and their answers and explanations provided are excellent, the UKCAT-style scoring seemed slightly off- given that in the actual exam the minimum score for any section is 300, but the minimum score for the mock is 0, don't be too disheartened if you get a low mark; it is unlikely to be a true reflection on your exam mark! (I got 540 in the mock but then wound up with 695 in the real thing, and have a couple of friends who had the same experience). However, these qualms are slight and should in no way deter you from using the book as practice.

Overall, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great preparation, 22 Aug 2010
C. Scott - See all my reviews
Really good preparation. Very scary questions...but they make the actual exam seem easy! Good luck :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best UKCAT book availible, 4 Sep 2010
Whilst it is the best and most accurate, well written and with good advice, the real exam is vastly different. So don't be dis-heartned by the difficulty of the book.

Verbal reasoning, relatively easier than the real exam
Quantative R, much more difficult than the real exam
AR, much more difficult than the real exam
DA, about the same

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Resource, 3 Sep 2009
Ms. E. S. Collins (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for anyone hoping to get into medical school. The different sections prepared me well for the exam, though I must say that the difficulty of some of the questions made me rather nervous for the exam! Fortunately, the real one is a bit easier, but this is still a great book to buy so that you're prepared for every circumstance.

It is set out very well in different sections and gives you all the information and advice you need to plan sessions and make preparations. The best way to prepare for the exam is through practice in my view, and this has so many questions in it that it is certainly fit for its purpose. There is also lots of additional advice in the answer section so you can explore different, time-saving ways of combatting questions.

Money well spent!

3.0 out of 5 stars 600 Book!, 9 Oct 2009
M. ODEDRA "medifreak" (UK) - See all my reviews
Ok, this book is good in the sense that it prepares you well...but it scares you. the exam is NO WAY NEAR as hard. you end up wasting your time worrying rather than doing the questions which take 4 times longer to do. It's good 'cos you do all these hard q's so in the exam you find the questions easier, and since there's many questions it's good practice...i would recommend it if you had 4 weeks to go before the ukcat, but not a week before, because it would bring your confidence down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best UKCAT revision book, 19 Jun 2009
This book is absolutely brilliant. Lots of realistic practice, lots of explanations. It is particularly good at explaining different approaches for verbal reasoning and abstract reasoning. The mock exam is useful to consolidate the knowledge acquired in the practice exercises. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for serious practice in the weeks preceding their live test.