5.0 out of 5 stars a very good egg, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: A Good Egg: a year of recipes from an urban hen-keeper (Hardcover)
I bought this book at the launch party in Bristol a few nights ago. I had gone not planning to buy anything at all -- trying to restrain myself as I already have far too many cookery books -- but then Genevieve Taylor read an excerpt and I found myself wanting to know more.

The book is organized as a daily diary, divided into four sections (the seasons), and is a record of Taylor's first year as a hen-keeper. Each section kicks off with a short essay summing up what the coming season means to Taylor; how it shapes her routines and influences the food she likes to cook. The hens pop up frequently throughout the book, but it must be made clear that this is not a manual on how to keep hens, and neither is it all about eggs. Rather it's a wonderful collection of really mouthwatering recipes threaded together with diary entries and musings on the changes occurring in Taylor's garden as one season gives way to another and family life ebbs and flows (she has two young children). There are lots of delicious cakes which range from classics such as coffee and walnut through to rhubarb and almond streusel cake and the divine-sounding peach and almond cake with lavender syrup. On the savoury side the recipes include simple dishes such as a nice-sounding take on the classic carbonara and a wild garlic omelette. There are also plenty of interesting and unusual recipes too, such as Malaysian egg and aubergine curry, pumpkin and green lentil moussaka and Baghdad eggs with herb yogurt and pitta crisps.

I haven't cooked anything from the book yet, but have courgette and lime muffins in my sights, along with a watercress and brie flamiche. All in all it's very engagingly written and should appeal to anyone interested in seasonal cooking, particularly those who grow their own fruit and veg whether on an allotment, in their back garden or on a balcony.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book for egg lovers, 11 April 2013
This is a beautiful book, it feels like a family heirloom and it is bound to end up being just that.
I've wanted chickens for years now and have many books on keeping them. But this is so much more than that. It covers living with chickens and most importantly what to do with their precious cargo. The recipes are easy to follow and never strive too far from from what they are intended to be, a diary of a food lover and a hen keeper.
Eggs are a wonderful thing and this book shines a light on that.
I'd recommend this to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good egg Indeed, 20 Mar 2013
I love the fact the A Good Egg tells a story and not just a cookery book on a shelf . Genevieve Taylor is not a Author but a wife & a mother who is a amazing food writer. It is a food lover `s journal. A must to have in the kitchen, as this book is "full of love."

A Good Egg is a record of Taylor's 1st year as a hen-keeper, what seasons means to her and how it influences the food she cooks. It is a fabulous collection of really delicious recipes, this his book no way about eggs neither a manual about how to keep hens !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A warmhearted, nourishing book., 20 Mar 2013
This is a beautiful book.

It fits in the hand like a kitchen diary and is full of tastebud-jangling photography. This is not an egg-a-day affair, it is a food-lover's journal. Genevieve Taylor revives old classics (Queen of Puddings being a hit) and presses into newer territory, all the while narrating a story of food and family. And that is where the heart is; this book is full of love. It is impossible to read it without feeling cared for and nourished, without feeling the author's desire to feed you well.

I promise that when you pick it up, your next steps will be to the kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing variety of recipes, 20 Mar 2013
Genevieve Taylor is an author and food stylist. She lives in Bristol with her husband and two children, her chickens,dogs and cats. She writes a blog, a monthly column for Bristol's `Crumbs' magazine. She is also the author of Marshmallow Magic, Stew! and Soup!

This book is loosely based on Taylor's blog, and charts a year in her kitchen as she works to find the most imaginative ways to make the best use of her hens' steady supply of eggs, and at the same time use as many fruit and vegetables from her garden as possible. It is not a recipe book just based around meals involving eggs in the sense you may have been expecting. It's not just omelettes and custard. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were recipes for ice cream, pasta, cakes and pies in there too.

After a brief introduction from the author, the book is split into four seasons, with a small index by month. As each recipe has a date, it reads like a kitchen diary. One day a Warm Brioche for Breakfast, the next day a Carrot and Cumin Tart.

If you were searching for a specific recipe, it may be hard to find as the recipes are literally in no order that I could discern other than the one the author chose to make them. There is, however, an index at the back by main ingredient. I actually like the chaos, as the variety each month it provides has a nice balance of sweet and savoury

Despite being of a compact size, the book has a reassuringly traditional feel. The photos are small but beautifully shot and composed. Not surprising really, as the author does this for a living. The recipe instructions are fairly easy to follow, and the recipes are of a wide range so anyone should be able to find one they like, regardless of skill.

There are classics like Kedgeree or Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Egg. My favourite recipes are the Queen of Puddings, Gala Pie, and the Salami, Pesto and Ricotta Frittata.

The sheer variety of recipes is what really sells this book to me. It really does prove that the egg is indeed the most versatile of ingredients, and the author delivers each recipe with a true passion illustrating a natural flair for the ingredient. If I didn't have regular visits from a couple of urban foxes to my garden, I would dearly love to have some chickens of my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eggtastic, 5 April 2013
This is so much more than a cookery book. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the daily accounts with as much interest as the recipes. Give yourself time to enjoy the Authors interesting accounts of cooking, I lose myself in the book unlike other cookbooks I own.
The book itself has a beautiful ,simplistic but stylish cover & lovely photos through out. I am looking forward to making the Chinese egg & prawn custard as my children love Chinese food. I also love the fact I am reminded which foods are in season as so often in our busy lives we end up buying similar foods week after week. I am feeling more adventurous & inspired after reading this book & I would recommend it to anyone of any age with an interest in food & cooking.
This is not the first book I own by this Author & my children & I especially love Marshmallow magic. If you have a sweet tooth this is a really fun book to own. You will be delighted with both these books & I always find my friends looking through them when they pop in for a cuppa.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect solution for an egg-cess of eggs!, 7 May 2013
This is a book that not only looks delicious but also delivers delicious recipes. Genevieve writes in a casual 'busy-Mum' style that I immediately connected with. The recipes are simple, tasty and use fresh ingredients (and eggs of course!). This Bank Holiday weekend we tried out three of the recipes; the 'coffee and walnut cake' (be warned there is a small typo - it should read 1 tsp baking powder, not tbsp!), the 'warm Portuguese custard tarts' and the 'almond thins' biscuits from the 'Seville orange mousse with almond thins recipe'. All of the recipes tasted delicious and were enjoyed with an assortment of our neighbours who licked their plates clean! I am now looking forward to trying some of the main courses.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like eggs you'll love this book, 7 April 2013
Eggs are probably my favourite food and so I was very happy to find this book. So far I have made the Salt and Pepper Scotch Eggs and Falafel Eggs, a great alternative for a vegetarian Scotch egg, both came out very well. The recipes cover simple everyday meals, like the Florentine-style spinach and egg tarts that can be made with freezer stand-bys, to more exotic dishes like Chakchouka with merguez sausages and baked eggs (which I definitely want to try). There are also old time favourites like Coffee and walnut cake and inspiring variations on scrambled eggs, Huevos revueltos with asparagus and prawns, and omelettes, with Caerphilly & wild garlic and Tortilla Espanola with smoky tomato sauce.
The book follows a year in Genevieve Taylor's cooking life and all I can say is "quelle chance" for her friends and family if the photos are anything to go by. It is a beautifully produced book, with lovely sketches of Genevieve's 'girls', the chickens that laid her eggs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A eggsalent read...., 4 April 2013
newcampers (staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This book is fab. Excellent recipes and a real joy to read. If you love eggs,keep chickens and love a good life buy this book it really is amazing.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the perfect boiled egg - a thing of delight, 4 April 2013
I've just received my copy of A GOOD EGG, and am so pleased with it.
I have lots of cook books and really enjoy my food and with a family of 6 to feed, the demand for sustenance is great.
First impression are fab, it's well thought out, very nice presentation, some really lovely recipes and good clear instructions make this a must have book for any cook or chef.

Within minutes of opening it, my wife and one of the kids were straight into the Hot Cross Buns and their delicious smell is now filling the house. So I will keep this brief so I can go and scoff their hard work.

A great book in a busy market, I thoroughly recommend it.

A Good Egg: a year of recipes from an urban hen-keeper
A Good Egg: a year of recipes from an urban hen-keeper by Genevieve Taylor (Hardcover - 14 Mar 2013)
12.00