5.0 out of 5 stars Home brewing made fun and easy
Published on 5 Sep 2011 by Theresa Gordon

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing you cant find on google.
Its ok! Not quite "for free" but close. Perhaps I was expecting too much, its closer to a standard "how to brew wine and beer" rather than a foragers dream, it's nothing you cant find for free on google to be honest.
Published 4 months ago by R Copson

5.0 out of 5 stars Home brewing made fun and easy, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Booze for Free (Hardcover)
This is a really comprehensive book, with so many different kinds of drinks, from cordials to wines to beers, to spirits infused with a variety of different flavours. I always thought that home brewing your own drinks was a long laborious process but I now know that I can have beer in a fortnight (about the time it takes to plan a party) and horseradish vodka in a few days.

As well as all the recipes, the information on equipment etc. and the brilliant glossary (almost a book in its own right) I've really enjoyed reading the narration of this book, which is a lovely, at times humorous, prose, as the author talks of the history behind different plants and drinks, and reminisces on his own home brewing experiences.

I highly recommend this book; I think a lot of people are going to have some great experiences because of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "By the 5th beer you don't care if you have your trousers on", 2 July 2012
This review is from: Booze for Free (Hardcover)
"But by the fifth consecutive beer sometimes its not easy to care whether you've even got your trousers on".

That line made me cry with laughter because its soo true and was the reason why I purchased in the book in the first place.

I had heard it was good and was fed up of drinking the tap-drivel from pubs and go it alone and make my own.

Having no previous knowledge and using second had equipment from Grampies cellar, I'm actually amazed with Andy's guidance from the book, I've made some really nice tasking ale.

Andy suggests foraging and covers this in a sub chapter, to be honest, I cheated and used almost all supermarket bought products. If I can do this and make ales that actually taste nice, I bet you can too.

Frankly my hopes were not high & vomit bags were to hand at tasting time. The simple hop beer went really well, it was quite tasty & enjoyable. Oh and the Bay & Rosemary Ale was actually quite nice. I was a bit concerned at the bay leaves, they can be really powerful, but Andy was right with just 20 leaves, although it got better as time went on or how drunk I got from it *hic*

Well worth the read, especially if you're going to actually follow the recipes and make some of your own, if I can now brw my own, I'm sure you can too, even without cheating like I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all and some great recipes, 9 Oct 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Booze for Free (Hardcover)
As a far of real ale and keeping traditions alive, I was more than curious about this title by Andy Hamilton, where it claimed you can get booze for free. What this title does in fact is give you a good all round grounding in the various options that you have available whether you want to make some wine, a beer or even cordials or tea's to help refresh your palette.

All of the options are explained in an easy to follow manner, takes the time to explain the terminology and also provides the reader with easy to follow recipes that will allow them to get to know what they like so that they can develop their own range at home. Obviously I haven't brewed anything up yet due to the time delay for the stock to mature, but I have made some of the cordials of which I have to say that the Dandelion and Burdock is my favourite as it has a fresher taste than the shop bought ones and to be honest, if you want it fizzy I'd say to make it with either soda water or even sparkling mineral, really refreshing and apparently healthy for your liver.

All in I have had a lot of pleasure reading this book and I'll have a lot more making a number of the products within. My only real disappointment is that I couldn't' find a recipe for mead which is one of the oldest drinks around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Booze for Free (Hardcover)
Nice and easy book to read and to follow. Well researched. Well written. Well worth the purchase. Would certainly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Booze for Free (Hardcover)
i bought this book for my husband and he loves it. It details everything you need to know and buy along with a lot of humour. would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmass Read, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Booze for Free (Hardcover)
Always looking for slightly different presents for my 'Have a Go' Father. He has been making beer for ages, this seemed a little different. Still to try all the recipies but the 1st few have been good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Booze for Free (Hardcover)
I have made a couple fo the recipes so far and the elderberry champagne is wonderful, still waiting for the wines I've made to mature.....Very comprehensive book full of good tips and unusual recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to try it out!, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Booze for Free (Hardcover)
Really informative and opened up my horizons to the vast amount of drinks I could make. Have already made elderflower cordial, very tasty. Going to make it as a wine next...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good inspiration, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Booze for Free (Hardcover)
Tried the dandelion wine - a success. Tried the oak leaf wine - a success. Looking forward to the next dip into the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Booze for Free (Hardcover)
brought as a present recipient enjoyed book and i look forward to some free booze, would recoment to others .

Booze for Free
Booze for Free by Andy Hamilton (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2011)