4.0 out of 5 stars Great and profound read on the Booker List
One of the most readable literary titles on this year's unpredictably eclectic Man Booker Longlist. Highly enjoyable and intricate but without being preachy and tedious. The story of a mixed-blood English young man in pre-war Malaya who befriends a Japanese diplomat.

The writing sometimes rises to poetry without being incomprehensible, and the author never...
Published on 3 Sep 2007 by S. Charter

3.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally draining novel about wartime collaboration
Set in Penang, Malaya, this novel spans decades, from the dying days of the Chinese imperial court, to the collapse of the British empire to Japanese hostilities in World War Two.

This novel is emotionally draining. Tan Twan Eng is a very talented writer, he made me sympathise with so many of the characters, but especially Philip, who's life is so tragic that I...
Published 18 months ago by Miss A C R Finch

‹ Previous | 126 27 2837 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Set in Penang in the Far East, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Kindle Edition)
I consider this a beautifully written book. It opens in the modern day and then goes back to the character's wartime experiences in Malaysia. The Chinese and Japanese characters are brilliantly portrayed and the background is brought breathtakingly to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful wonderful book!, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Kindle Edition)
This book is a gripping account of the complex relationship between a student and his teacher set against a background of war and cultural divergence. I often feel that at my age, I've read more than enough about war, but this book held me despite that. It's a painless education too, giving much information along the way - about history and culture we don't tend to know much about in Western countries. It will bear re-reading too - I'm sure I missed some of the nuances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read, 20 May 2013
Joy Szott (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Kindle Edition)
This was like reading a luscious oil painting - such vivid descriptions, you are transported to the location and setting.
However I did find part 2 quite harrowing - not a light hearted holiday book - in my opinion.
I still think everyone should read it though. It will stay with me for ever

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful book, 19 May 2013
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Kindle Edition)
The most moving and sensitively written book I have read for a long time.
I look forward to reading another Tan Twan Eng book.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a wonderful book, 12 May 2013
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Kindle Edition)
this book is so well written, so beautiful. The story is gripping and gave me new insights in to the situation in the far east during WW2. I really did not want to finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 April 2013
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Kindle Edition)
I found this book very thought provoking end I enjoyed it very much.the storytelling and historical content left me speechless

5.0 out of 5 stars Get lost in a Book, 16 April 2013
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Kindle Edition)
I have read other books by this author and find they take you into the world of the far east in an almost dream like way. I love the style or witting and would recommend to anyone who is looking for something a bit different from the thousands of detective books flooding the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars A majestic and beautiful book, 14 April 2013
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Kindle Edition)
I could write pages on this masterpiece but would just encourage you to buy this book and you will understand.

solmagwind.

5.0 out of 5 stars rain, 13 April 2013
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Kindle Edition)
I read this novel when it was first published in I think 2008. I was most impressed with the story told and the writing. The memory of the impression I keep in my mind has stayed since my first reading of it. I am currently reading it for a book club evening to be held soon. I hope my fellow readers will enjoy it also. It is a long novel and it covers a range of events and influences in the life of Philip the narrator. It is one I would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift of Rain, 11 April 2013
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Kindle Edition)
Obviously this predates The Garden of Evening Mists (which was a superb book) but nevertheless a very good read and I was very immersed in the story

‹ Previous | 126 27 2837 | Next ›

The Gift of Rain
The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng (Hardcover - 8 Mar 2007)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available