Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 March 2014
This book is just as gorgeous as Garden of Evening Mists which I had read first. Poignant but uplifting. Complex 3 dimensional characters. Depicts how good and evil can intertwine inexplicably.
on 9 July 2013
This book had everything. History, religion, relationships, honour, duty etc. etc. I was never bored for one minute which is a first for me as I often skip descriptive passages. A must read.
on 19 October 2013
A remarkable book and a very thought-provoking story. I finished the book with a feeling of unease and uncertainty as to where my sympathies lay - which I, suspect, was the author's intention!
on 10 March 2013
I like the geographical setting and the historical context; fascinating insight and the characters did come to life for me. I did want to read on and find out what happened next, throughout.
on 25 July 2013
This is without doubt one of the best books I've read, it was captivating giving you a small taste of life during the war. The characters were captivating and the story moved at a good pace.
on 12 July 2013
I loved this book it took me away to another era and a different aspect of life. The characters were so strong and although it was a novel I thought it could have been based on a true story.
on 5 May 2015
I found this absolutely wonderful! I cannot recommend this book too highly for an atmospheric insight into another culture and history. The writer creates intriguing and complex characters.
on 7 November 2013
Great book - beautiful writing, an "unputdownable" storyline (I was up until 2am last night finishing it!) and an overall feel which is beautiful, haunting ... and also slightly disturbing.
on 16 July 2013
A glimpse into another time and the creeping realization that my father might have witnessed some of the kinds of atrocities described made me shiver. A compelling novel about human nature.
on 15 January 2015
From begining to end this is a story of people and relationships of joy , tragedy and beauty , terrible beauty. Unexpected twists and turns make it hard to put down .highly recommended