5.0 out of 5 stars pregnant? buy this book for your man, then borrow it
This is a wonderful book for new mums to read as well as new dads. It is completely honest about pregnancy from a man's point of view, detailing in diary form the wide array of thoughts and feelings, information and misinformation that assail prospective parents. It manages to be funny and entertaining while never being less than honest. The author admits to having...
Published on 8 Mar 2007 by Anna Fielding

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings-I'm a mother and a midwife
As an expectant mother I bought this for my fiance. He loves it, it's honest, funny and touching although my fiance also finds it a very depressing view of prospective fatherhood.

Published on 28 Feb 2007 by E. Pickersgill

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-warming, funny and insightful, 5 May 2009
M. Bayford - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Here to Paternity: The Diary of a Pregnant Man (Paperback)
I originally bought this book for my husband, but wound up stealing it when my own pregnancy books got a bit dull. From beginning to end, it charts without apology the intimate ups-and-downs of a modern London couple. Andrew's style is relable and witty - he makes you feel like they are a couple you've always been friends with. You laugh with their joys and your heart breaks at their harrowing birth story.

This book is written for the partners, other halves, husbands, boyfriends, etc. of pregnant women, but is equally enjoyable by both. Of all the pregnancy books I have bought/looked at/borrowed, this is hands-down the most honest account of 9+ life-changing months of the journey to parenthood. My husband hasn't finished it yet, but he loves reading along to Kate's silly complaints & insecurities, which I think makes him feel better about the whole thing. Andrew's writing is frank and full of the worries that no one ever talks about - will the baby be healthy, will we have enough money, will I be a decent dad?

5 stars. If you've just found out you're pregnant, go buy this book today for both yourself AND your partner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic, witty and heartfelt. A great read for all dads-to-be, 1 Sep 2014
I found it really hard to get to grips with some of the weightier tomes that my wife read during the lead up to giving birth so I did a bit of research on some other ways to get into the 'Dad to be mindset' and stumbled upon a couple of books.

This was a real eye-opener for me. As a first time dad really have no idea of what's to come. In places it's gritty. Especially when things get complicated, this was great mental preparation for me on the big day itself. As it turns out, not all births are straightforward. At times it hilariously funny. The male mind is laid bare and it's heartfelt and spot on. At times it drags on a bit - the constant struggle between work, life and being a good husband / dad. But it's all real, all valid and all very well written.

I've recommended this book to all of my mates who have become dads and they've all enjoyed it too. I'd heartily recommend it to dad-to-be to read in the months leading up to the birth date.....to make the NCT sessions more bearable. Worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings-I'm a mother and a midwife, 28 Feb 2007

As a midwife, I accept that there is good in the profession and bad. It's no wonder with literature portraying midwives in this way we have to constantly face clients who would rather not see us and think they can do our job better than us. This attitude partly contributes to the number of midwives who leave the profession. Also some of the statistics quoted were not entirely accurate and I doubt came from anything official like the confidential enquiries reports.

So as an expectant mum I say this book has been good, as a midwife I say this book is not so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it together in 'real time' if possible, 15 Mar 2011
Stephanie Pearce (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my husband, but as he isn't a huge fan of reading, I started reading it to him a couple of times a week as our pregancy progressed almost at the same time as the pregnancy in the book. We were a bit ahead, so would read a couple of chapters at once to start with, but once we caught up we found it really interesting to follow. It was only at about 7 months that I peeked ahead to the birth as I just couldn't wait to see how it went.

Would really recommend it - we had a few great discussions from it like others have said here......I would read his account and my husband would interupt and say 'I was worried about that too'.

I'm also a Health Care Professional and cringed at some of the all too real accounts of conflicting advice, ignorance, talking as if the patient isn't there etc. Certain excerpts of the book would be fantastic for communication courses for health care professionals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 July 2010
Arrived in plenty of time. My partner hasn't taken his nose out of it yet!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but scary!, 29 Jun 2009
Mrs. E. L. Webber (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my husband to read as all the other pregnancy books seemed to be aimed at mums. I read it first and really enjoyed it, although did find myself in tears a few times! My husband however couldn't finish it as it frightened him too much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought this as a gift for my partner, 13 July 2009
K. Kemp "Klump" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I brought this book as a gift for my partner when we were expecting our first baby, and he found it both informative and funny, would deffo recommend for all those 1st time dads out there

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 24 Mar 2009
One of the best guides we bought, no nonsence straight to the point format and lack of hysteria of the guides aimed at women makes it a winner!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Jun 2010
When I bought this for my husband, I thought it would help him get his head around things to come, will share a few "behind the scenes" bits of info on what it feels like to become a father etc. Actually, it is (or reads like) a story, and not even that good, well written or interesting. Even I, as the pregnant lady, didn't relate to the issues that concerned the couple in the story - 'nuff said...

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written but negative, 29 Mar 2008
T. Deegan (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a good read and is very funny in parts. I also don't doubt that it is an accurate portrayal of things as they were.
My main problem is his view of pregnancy and labour was fearful and somewhat cynical. Perhaps this is just an inevitable part of coming into contact with the NHS and so on- perhaps it is also this reviewer hoping that he does not one day feel exactly the same!

From Here to Paternity: The Diary of a Pregnant Man
From Here to Paternity: The Diary of a Pregnant Man by A. J. Cullen (Paperback - 9 Nov 2006)