5.0 out of 5 stars pregnant? buy this book for your man, then borrow it
Published on 8 Mar 2007 by Anna Fielding

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings-I'm a mother and a midwife
As an expectant mother I bought this for my fiance. He loves it, it's honest, funny and touching although my fiance also finds it a very depressing view of prospective fatherhood.

As a midwife, I accept that there is good in the profession and bad. It's no wonder with literature portraying midwives in this way we have to constantly face clients who would...
Published on 28 Feb 2007 by E. Pickersgill

5.0 out of 5 stars pregnant? buy this book for your man, then borrow it, 8 Mar 2007
This review is from: From Here to Paternity: The Diary of a Pregnant Man (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book for new mums to read as well as new dads. It is completely honest about pregnancy from a man's point of view, detailing in diary form the wide array of thoughts and feelings, information and misinformation that assail prospective parents. It manages to be funny and entertaining while never being less than honest. The author admits to having some mixed feelings about becoming a parent (something my husband could identify with), but the book is ultimately uplifting and touching.

The diary format makes it an easy and enjoyable read, unlike all the dry emotionless textbooks. I bought it for my husband and it prompted us to discuss a few issues that we were overlooking or avoiding. It contains a lot of useful practical information without being dogmatic; it is candid about the conflicting advice and information that is given to pregnant couples by pregnancy experts & health professionals. That was certainly what I found throughout my pregnancy. As the book says, there comes a point when almost every piece of information contradicts something else you've been told.

As well as new dads and mums, anyone who works on a maternity ward in the NHS should read this book. The book says "Nine out of ten midwives are fantastic" but it is also honest about the occasional inconsistency of care. It will ring true with any woman who has given birth in an NHS hospital. It provides detailed and fair-minded criticism from a service user and should be part of the training course for midwives and obstetricians.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and informative with warmth and humour too, 9 April 2007
David Harper - See all my reviews
This book is an account of one prospective father's experiences in the form of a diary from pregnancy test to the birth of a healthy baby. It's full of useful advice and insight into the practical and emotional challenges ahead. Andrew Cullen shares the reactions and experiences of his partner Kate, friends and family. Dads-to-be and their partners will find it really helpful because it doesn't create some soft-focused magazine image of pregnancy and childbirth but, instead, one that's more human with all the ups and downs, ambivalence, warmth and humour that that brings. Cullen writes honestly about his fears and hopes during this time and finds that the experience prompts him to go on a journey back to his own childhood, giving him a new perspective on himself and on parenthood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pregnancy with a male perspective, 10 Jan 2007
Looking down the binoculars the wrong way. There is very little out there for the pregnant man. This brutally honest diary tells the man (and woman) what to expect every step of the way.

Cullen deals with the washing machine of emotions you go through particularly when you are expecting your first child. Reach out for honest reassurance and that you are not alone.

Essential reading for the ignored partner in the procedings.

4.0 out of 5 stars An uncomfortable but rewarding read, 3 Nov 2007
M. Cooper (Herts., UK) - See all my reviews
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book having read the other reviews, but was attracted by the diary format, which promised to be a bit less contrived than some of the self-styled 'blokes' guides'. Having just finished the book, I'd would certainly recommend it, with some qualifications. This isn't a book which tells you what to do - if you're after a manual, look elsewhere. Rather, it gives you an unvarnished picture of what to expect. It also works because it records how the author feels as the pregnancy progresses, including the alternating senses of excitement and trepidation. Very occasionally, I felt Andrew Cullen was (if you'll excuse the pun) labouring the 'you lose your life' theme for dramatic effect; this is my only reservation with the book. On the other hand, the hospital sequence towards the end of the diary needs no further dramatisation and is pretty harrowing. Overall, thoroughly recommended - just expect to be challenged as much as entertained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be handed out with the gas and air on the NHS, 26 Feb 2007
Jesse Armstrong (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Andrew Cullen writes elegantly, funnily and above all honestly about the experience of pregnancy from the male perspective in this book. There are now a couple of other books around by men about pregnancy, but Cullen's has got to be the best. He says at one point that 'We tend to hide the true extent of our feelings, even from our friends, even from ourselves ... The emotional vicissitudes of a single day would exhaust us if we paid attention to them all.' But he makes a determined effort at paying attention here and it's well worth it - and never exhausting.

As the father of two growing children this book took me back with a jolt of recollection to those days of fear, hope and uncertainty that are the world of the expectant parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 10 Oct 2007
Anthony (London) - See all my reviews
In addition to being very funny and well written in a diary format, this book is packed with practical information, useful tips and helps translate much of the medical jargon. Hearing me laugh while reading it, my wife became jealous as she struggled with the textbook style pregnancy books - in the end she read the book as well and really enjoyed it. I've worked my way through a few of these `dad-to-be' styled books - this by far is the very best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful when you choose to read this - it could panic you if you aren't ready!, 22 Nov 2009
Kate (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I first read this book when I was only a few weeks' pregnant and that was too soon for me and made me panic. My husband reacted similarly.

It is a really good book - a diary kept by a pregnant woman's boyfriend throughout her pregnancy - but is very honest and deals with some difficult issues. Whilst I learned a lot from it, I found that I was reading things that I wasn't ready to digest and the book caused me to worry about possibilities and unusual conditions which would never otherwise have crossed my mind and to pick up on the anxiety of the author and his girlfriend which is present throughout the whole pregnancy. For example, it deals very honestly with bad experiences at a London hospital - both in terms of worrying scan results and the quality and continuity of care which was provided. This happened to be my local hospital, and completely changed the way I looked at it.

I have since re-read the book a couple of times and now, when I'm equipped with more information and have become much more relaxed about the whole pregnancy thing, I really enjoy it and appreciate the honesty and the male, non-medical perspective which the author brings to the whole experience. I'm now at the end of my pregnancy and with the benefit of hindsight I can see that much of what he records in his diary is accurate, frequently funny and probably universal, for example the things he consistently has to reassure his girlfriend about.

He isn't always the most attractive of authors, it has to be said - quite frequently he is self-centred and one of my husband's main complaints about the book was that he thought the guy was an idiot - but at least that reinforces the idea that the book is an honest account.

In a nutshell I would therefore recommend this book - but only if you are quite relaxed about your pregnancy and happy to read about someone's experience which is less positive and reassuring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bold and thoughtful, 19 Aug 2007
A. D. Spellman "Dave" (Blackburn, UK) - See all my reviews
Cullen has made a bold and worthwhile contribution withhis honest account of the intricacies of would-be parenthood. In places it is uncomfortbale reading, especially in the way he recounts the 'diverse' experiences he and his partner have in the UK's NHS. Men can find it hard to have their experiences acknowledged as important and this book does that well. As a Dad of two girls it brought a lot back and its greatest value it sees to me is perhaps it's courage and honesty. This man can write, look out for him..

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book..., 4 July 2007
...and when I give it back to my husband, who was reading it, I'm sure he will say the same.

I have never laughed out loud or cried out loud with such frequency through one book. The story is so very familiar, but told with such wit that it really is uplifting - so refreshing after months of reading Gina and What to Expect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful, 4 Feb 2009
Trine Rilorin (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
As I was about to become a father myself I had all kinds of thoughts regarding if I was enough prepared and suited to becoming a dad.

When I read Andy's book I was happy to see that my thoughts were perfectly normal. I took great comfort in reading about another man who perhaps was not completely ready and had some of the same worriers as me, and to read that it was ok.

I tried to read the book in "real time" pace which was great because I often can not remember every detail of a book I have read months before.

On the whole the book was a positive, helpful and funny experience for me!

From Here to Paternity: The Diary of a Pregnant Man
From Here to Paternity: The Diary of a Pregnant Man by A. J. Cullen (Paperback - 9 Nov 2006)